What Fails in an Injection Pump?

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
So when an injection pump "fails", what happens to it?

Plunger leaks?
Bearings bad?
Sensors/Servos/Solenoids?
Vane Pump?

Mine sounds like there's a handfull of marbles in it so I don't think it's long for this world. It's got 100k miles on it so maybe it's time (but I don't think so really).

This might stem from My Shutter Problem and when I over revved the engine.

So - what are the typical failure modes in a TDI Injection Pump?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
You could call DFIS and talk with Mark or Kyle. Both of them are willing to discuss pumps and this would eliminate interpretation from second and third hand reports.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I've been working on this for the last few months, it was going to go on my website in the article section, however as my site is down I might as well post it here for now. I haven't had time to proof it too much, but it'll get us started. I am open to suggestions, but would rather it not be torn apart as there are always going to be arguments from one side or the other. This is MY experience over the last few years....
---------------------------------

All about Injection Pumps

As a parts vendor I get a lot of calls about injection pumps. I’ve sold in the neighborhood of 200 pumps over the years! Because of this I think that it’s a good time to do a little education about how they work, and how one can prolong or shorten the life of their pump. All the pumps I sell come either direct from VW, or from the only licensed Bosch rebuilder in North America. As one of their main distributors we see a lot of pump traffic and have knowledge about life expectancy as well as the usual problems.

To be a licensed Bosch rebuilder you have to do everything that Bosch would do direct—they are one in the same. You need millions of dollars worth of test equipment and a lot of education as well as a proven track record. When a pump is rebuilt, everything is gone over; if something is wrong they replace it. Many rebuilders cut corners by not replacing the mandatory parts, such as the temp sensors, center head plug, transfer pump, all the overhaul gaskets and the transfer pump regulator. These parts add up in cost, but it’s a lot better than having a job half done to save a few bucks only to have a problem down the road. I have never had a problem with any of the pumps I have received from either of my sources.

How does a pump work?

This paragraph borrowed from Drivbiwire:
Inside the TDI injection pump there is a "Cam Plate" that is turned by the pumps timing belt pulley. The cam plate is also turning a small "Plunger", these two assemblies rotate in unison. The rotating plunger is mounted to a stationary plate or "Roller Ring" that has four rollers that provide the contours for the spinning cam plate to follow and cause the plunger to extend in and out on. The cam plate contours are what determines how far the plunger slides in and out of the fuel compression chamber and the size of the contours are what can vary from year to year effectively determining how high the fuel pressures can reach. Since the roller ring assembly (fig 2) is "mostly" stationary the compression of the small amounts of fuel can occur at exactly the same time. The caveat to this is that the roller ring assembly can be rotated slightly clockwise or counter clockwise effectively adjusting when the compression of the fuel actually occurs without having to integrate a complex system for injection timing. The looming question is how do you control the quantity of fuel ie speed of the motor? The above describes how you effectively create fuel pressure and adjust timing but the next key is the "Fuel Collar" (Fig 7). The fuel collar is a simple ring that the plunger slides through during each and every injection stroke. In the plunger there is an elongated hole (figure 5, top) that when uncovered allows all remaining fuel in the compression chamber to be vented back into the internal body of the pump effectively ending the fuel delivery for that cylinder. This means that all unused fuel is simply vented internally without having to flow to and from each injector. The injectors ONLY receive what is needed and the fuel collar is what directly determines engine speed and power output.

How does a pump fail?

There are many reasons a pump can fail, the most common is a seal going bad. When this happens the pump will spring a leak. If you have a puddle of fuel after having your car sit overnight you should look at your pump first!

The next most common is general wear and tear; the quantity adjuster goes out, fuel temp sensor goes out, or the plunger starts to wear out. In these cases you’ll have either a code (quantity adjuster upper limit reached (code P1562 on an A4 ALH or 01268 on an A3/B4). The quantity adjuster is a motor in the pump that with the eccentric shaft adjusts fuel and responds to the throttle sending unit.

Plunger failure: The driveshaft turns the cam, between that there is a cam cross. These are hardened chrome pieces which start to wear out over time. The clearances start to get out of spec. As this happens the pump starts to make a lot more noise or clatter--all this does is show is that there has been a lot of wear and the parts are now out of operating tolerances. If the plunger is going out then what was a smooth running pump will turn into a very loud “clacking” noise. It almost sounds as loud as the engine itself (put your ear by it). When you’re heard it you know what it sounds like! More along the lines of the classic marbles in a tin can sound... In these cases change the pump out ASAP as it will keep running until it seizes. Changing it earlier might save the pump core.

Another problem is when the plunger seizes. The tolerances are down to 4 millionths of an inch (air miked) between the pump head and rotor. They need enough room for fuel to move through it; when there is excessive plunger clearance then you start to have low cranking delivery, also known as hard starting. This is where biodiesel starts to come into play. Bio or veggie oil has lots of lubricity, but veggie oils have particles/water/glycerin which does NOT have lubrication properties, this in turn will cause extra wear on your pump plunger and rotor. Also if your bio has particles, water or glycerin then the same problem happens....

Center head plugs are a one torque item. This has a sharp edge on it which allows it to seal as it's torqued. If you don't replace this plug then often it doesn't torque and seal right, which causes low cranking delivery (again, hard starting).

Transfer pump is a vane style pump. The driveshaft turns the pump, the blades centrifugally "fly out," or spread, and start picking up fuel....

Rollers are what rides on the hardened cam lobes. The cam lobes gives the plunger the lift it needs to operate. If you have low lubricity fuel, or biofueles then you'll see these hardened chrome pieces are pitted. Perhaps the high pH levels of the biofuels cause the etching of the chrome pieces. Regardless, biofuel useage is a contributing cause to this failure.

The quantity adjuster, or positioner, is the brain of the pump. This takes information from starting, to low idle, high idle, etc... This part is electrical, in the past with the IDIs it was mechanical. If the quantity adjuster starts to go out then your revs can go all over the place. Often they get sticky from veggie oil. They can rust out too with poor quality fuel.

Temp sensor is a always replace item on a proper rebuild. It causes CELs if it goes bad.

Output delivery valves are on the ends of the head, they are what you hook your fuel line up to (also known as fuel delivery valve holder nut. There is a spring and a gasket in there). This part stops fuel from going back up in the head after ignition as taken place. Some people put aftermarket delivery valves in hoping that they can get more fueling. There are better ways to get higher transfer pump pressures (like tuning!).

What is the Life Expectancy of a pump?

We’ll get to that in a bit. Just like a turbo, injection pumps are wear items. They are constantly rotating and do wear out over time, but there are many things one can do to help increase the life of a pump.

Hard conditions: The transfer pump is a vane style pump—when you have a lot of power modifications and don’t upgrade to support your increased fueling, or if you raise the advance too far, then you can overwork the pump. Also, if you have fuel starvation from running out because you tried to get that last mile for your fuel distance marathons (you know who you are!) then you’re abusing the pump. Pumps do not like to run dry, just like anything that requires constant lubrication!

Normal Use conditions:
First me must define what is normal use? Normal use is what the pump was designed for. Bosch built this pump to run on well lubricated diesel fuel. Just like the engine for efficient combustion requires cetane of at least 49, the pump needs fuel that is well lubed. Many truck stops (or any cheap diesel location) carry fuel with a cetane rating of 40 and no additives in addition to the required ones as the refinery. If you have a technician at the refinery that fails to put in the correct amount of additive then you could effectively be putting sand paper through your pump. It can literally wear out completely in one tank of fuel…or less. IF you are fueling at these locations, ALWAYS use an additive such as Powerservice, Redline 85+, or Stanadyne. I always fuel at either Chevron when I’m out west, or at BP/AMOCO in the Midwest/East or Sunoco when I’m in Canada. All of these companies have high cetane, which the engine loves, and all have aggressive additives to protect your injection pump. These are the only non biodiesel fuel stations I’ll go to and not add an additive. Your other option is to run biodiesel, but that opens a whole new can of worms…

If you are running biodiesel expect to have to change your pump sooner. If you run a small blend (B5-B20) DO NOT switch between Biodiesel and regular diesel as this will kill your seals. (Biodiesel causes the pump seals to swell; regular diesel causes them to shrink—when you switch back and forth you’re asking for a seal to fail). Also be sure to change your fuel filter more often; if you’re running home brew biodiesel run a 2 micron fuel filter. Water is a huge enemy to pumps. If you have water in the fuel then your pump will rust out from the inside. Don’t expect a core refund in this case! The most common pump failure for biodiesel users though is a bad seal. This is why everyone on tdiclub.com says to get a seal kit and replace the seals. This is potentially the worst mistake you can make!

My Pump sprung a leak, so all I need is a seal kit right?

WRONG! Time and time again we see pumps that come in where the customer tried to do their own pump head and o-ring job. When they do this job themselves they put the studs in (and let the head slide out); often they inadvertently let it slide out too far, which causes the main springs to drop. Not knowing any better they faithfully put the pump back together and button up everything. The instant they start the car the head and rotors snap, which causes the shaft to seize up and thereby completely junks the pump. You might as well use it as a trophy as it is now completely worthless! I should add that there are many that do know how to change the seals, and have done so with success. However, they are not capable of changing out the transfer pump regulator or the center head plug, often they don’t change out the temp sensor, and they are certainly not able to calibrate everything when they are done. Biodiesel use shortens the life of your pump; that much is certain. If you just replace the seals then down the line you’re still looking a full rebuild eventually. I should also add that some people don’t replace all the seals either, which is not good as any leak will find its way through the weakest seal when the pressure builds up in the pump. This pressure is between 90 and 100 PSI.

Tell me more about Biodiesel and veggie oil…

Biodiesel will shorten the life of the pump, that much is certain. If you have proper filtration, good quality biodiesel, and don’t switch back and forth with regular diesel you should get a good 120-150,000 miles out of a pump. Often biodiesel pumps are good cores and have no problems with rebuilds. The exception is the home brewers that don’t get all the water out which rusts the pump out from the inside.

Grease/veggie oil gums pump the pump. When you open it up it looks like syrup in there. The positioner sticks, as do the sliding sleeves which all combined contribute to the pump failure. Because of that anyone who runs veggie oil can count on a core being completely junked. Sometimes in rare cases they are ok, but this is the exception and not the rule. In my experience most people have their veggie oil pumps fail at 60-80,000 miles. Some have gone more than twice that, but they are very particular about how they use their veggie oil. Remember we’re talking about my average experience over a good 200+ rebuilds over the years.

So in conclusion, if you have proper filtration, don’t have water going through the system, don’t run biodiesel or grease, and run a properly lubricated pump then your pump should last indefinitely. I have customers with over 500,000 miles on the original pump. I’ve heard of a couple older A3/B4 pumps that lasted over 700,000 miles. However, in my experience most A3/B4 pumps last about 200,000-250,000 miles before needing a rebuild. Most A4 ALH pumps last about 175,000-200,000 miles before needing a rebuild. Watch for the symptoms of a bad pump, and then take care of it soon to avoid a good core from being turned into a junk core. If you’re close to a timing belt change you might as well do that at the same time too.

I hope that this article has helped, and I hope your injection pump will last you a long time.

-BB

Last edited:

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
<confused>

BB: I thought that biod was GOOD for the pump because of the added lubricity... you say that biod is bad for the pump...

I run a B20 blend from Sunoco, and really dont feel like replacing my pump. Time to lay off the B20????????????

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Compare BB's writing style to DBW. I think he (DBW) must be running a hyperbole school of writing.

I think if you asked the guys at DFIS that they have to replace parts with new in order to get Bosch to underwrite the warranty, but that many of those parts they replace are perfectly serviceable.

OTOH, there's a lot of people out there that can take easily understood instructions, with pictures no less, and muck it up completely.

Who was that guy that ran the fuel lubricity additive study? Stern? (Don't quote me on that one!) At any rate, I was disappointed that he didn't test my favorite additive. But he did find interesting things that I interpreted as follows: Power Service, the much recommended additive is adequate at best, assuming you have reasonably treated fuel to start with. Stanadyne was a little worse, others such as Lucas were similar to no additive at all.

Bio-d, at a 2% concentration (i.e. B2) improved lubricity by about 4 times more than the improvement of Power Service. Or was it 5? At any rate, it was far and away the most effectatious additive for lubricity.

After that, what you really end up with when using bio-d is how good was the maker of it? Did they get all the water out? All the glycerin? Excess methanol? Lye? (Sodium hydroxide eats aluminum alloys for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and any between meal snacks. And there's lots of aluminum around - the pump body, the cylinder head, etc.)

So I figure if you use bio-d and it is of good quality, and you don't run it in the winter (Phoenix would be OK, but not up here where I live now), then you should be just fine.

As for me, I don't know where any bio-d is around here, and it is probably because I don't look for it.

As far as replacing seals: I have done this, and have recommended it. I also assumed (and we all know what happens when you do that) that the person studied a bit and took some details to heart. For example, look at the main plunger that generates up to 15k psi pressure for your injectors. Do you see any seals on it like you'd have on a bicycle pump? Any compression rings like on your pistons? No? How is that pressure going to be generated? I'll tell you: exacting and very tight tolerances. Others have pointed out that there are very tight tolerances in the pump and yea verily it is so. Therefore, if a 10 micron gap has 10-20 micron crud thrown in, wear will result, and from that point on, the pump will start losing efficiency and compression.

My point is that cleanliness might be difficult, but if you want good results then you'll do what it takes to make it happen if you are going to disassemble high precision parts and then try and put them back together.

My final this-thread-has-wandered-far-from-the-mark comment is pointed to the original posted list: what fails? All of those items, depending on what's been going through the pump!

P.S. My apologies to anyone who has been or might be offended by the content or tone of my above remarks. I do not mean to be harsh, but sometimes it seems that I am taken that way.

BleachedBora

TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
EDIT: Thanks PH for your comments, they came up while I was writing the below:

As I said, I still had it in rough outline :).

B20 is fine, as I say make sure it meets specs and don't switch back and forth from bio to regular diesel. I used to run bio all the time--however from all the failures I've dealt with I am off the bio bandwagon...for now. IMHO we need better testing and better quality here in the states.

That said, if every station were to be B2->B10 I wouldn't have a problem with that. But here in Utah it's either B20, B50, B99 or B0. Only a handful of places even carry bio. (Even switching from B10-B0 can be hard on things)... Because of this I personally am no longer running bio.

Yes, the added lubricity is good, especially if you are adding it to fuel that was low in lubricity to begin with--however, if you start with a fuel that has sufficient lubricity to begin with (Chevron, Sunoco, BP/Amoco) then you get very little, if any, added benefit to adding bio to that fuel. Add to it the increased fuel filter replacements, lower oil change intervals and the fact that bio has very little regulation and testing compared to standard commercial fuels and you get my point.

There is a reason why every very high mileage pump is NOT run on bio.
-BB

PS I'm from the west, Utah has no OPEC fuel. Neither does the Northwest. I am still doing my part to save the world with a high mileage car. I just don't want the liabilities that bio creates. It all comes down to a personal decision; the point of the above article is how to maximize the life of your pump, not how to save the world. :p

mrchaotica

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle
BleachedBora said:
B20 is fine...
What about B100?

Jeez, I need to stop reading this site before I have a nervous breakdown... between timing belt failures, turbo runaways, and now finding out my 178K-mile pump is about due, I'm getting more and more paranoid! :eek:

(And by the way, how much are 11mm pumps going for these days?)

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
There is a lot of conjecture in this statement, and no mention of the relative costs + time associated with the two repair approaches.

My Pump sprung a leak, so all I need is a seal kit right?

WRONG! Time and time again we see pumps that come in where the customer tried to do their own pump head and o-ring job. When they do this job themselves they put the studs in (and let the head slide out); often they inadvertently let it slide out too far, which causes the main springs to drop. Not knowing any better they faithfully put the pump back together and button up everything. The instant they start the car the head and rotors snap, which causes the shaft to seize up and thereby completely junks the pump. You might as well use it as a trophy as it is now completely worthless! I should add that there are many that do know how to change the seals, and have done so with success. However, they are not capable of changing out the transfer pump regulator or the center head plug, often they don’t change out the temp sensor, and they are certainly not able to calibrate everything when they are done. Biodiesel use shortens the life of your pump; that much is certain. If you just replace the seals then down the line you’re still looking a full rebuild eventually. I should also add that some people don’t replace all the seals either, which is not good as any leak will find its way through the weakest seal when the pressure builds up in the pump. This pressure is between 90 and 100 PSI.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Robby: Aaron knows that there will be dissenting opinons:

"I am open to suggestions, but would rather it not be torn apart as there are always going to be arguments from one side or the other."

Aaron: "The positioned sticks, as do the sliding sleeves which all combined contribute to the pump failure." This sentence could use some grammatical attention.

BleachedBora

TDI
Lol, I am not trying to start a war here. What I am trying to do is help some people understand more about the injection pumps.

IF we had perfect quality B100, with no water, and IF we ran it 100% of the time, I am reasonably sure that one could expect a good lifetime out of the injection pump. Problem is that I never see the perfect world results. I can almost promise you someone will get on here and say, "I've been running B100 for 5-years now, and I have 200,000 miles on the pump and it's still going great."

Fine.

But a vast majority don't experience that. I just got off the phone a few ago with a guy that has 62,000 miles on his pump and has been running Bio. Another guy a couple days ago had less than 70,000 miles and had been running bio. I have people all the time contacting me on Ebay or through my site saying that they have less than a hundred thousand miles and have a leaking pump who use bio.

My experiences with selling pumps all the time put me in a unique perspective. I also am able to tell people all the time that they don't need a pump, or a turbo, or "X" expensive part and instead steer them towards the easy fix. I just lost out on a very nice sale, but I gained a customer for life because they are grateful for what I did for them. I never sell any part unnecessarily. As my dad told me when I started this, "Treat every customer like your best friend or your parents and you'll do great..."

I've tried to live by that. :)

So, off the tangent. Put fuel in your car, treat it well, and if you respect my experience don't run B100. If you do run bio keep it in low blends, and never switch from ANY blend and straight D2. I've changed one pump because it needed changing, and that was at 252,000 miles, and it was only because it had a few tanks switching between bio and D2.

So what happened? It developed a leak; most would say put in a new seal kit and you're good to go, however when I put it in for the full rebuild the internals were in a sad state. I had run bio for about 70,000 miles, most of it B100. There was evidence of minor rusting, things were gummed up a bit, and the pump would have cost me over $1k to fix. It was a junker, the main cause by the rebuilder was attributed to biodiesel usage. That was when I stopped using B100.

If you need it, call me on the 11mm pump, I have a bunch of 10s and 11s in stock :).

One would realize from what I wrote that I will probably sell less pumps now, but the point of a more informed public is just that; to save you from expensive repairs and hopefully have you enjoy your car more.

And hopefully when you do need such things you'll keep me in mind :).
Cheers!
-BB

BleachedBora

TDI
Thanks WD, I'll fix that.

ROB: If you're good at fixing seals, by all means do it! However, I had 4 pumps this year so far that customers tried to change the seals themselves and the seized the pump. Can you see why I say that it's generally a bad idea?

Furthermore, my A3 was supposedly just a seal job, but the rest of the pump was close to going. No one can argue the cost benefits of doing a seal job. No one can also argue that you don't know what state the rest of the pump is in when you do a seal job by itself.

...Now back to rebuilding the site... :(

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Thanks Aaron for your insights and experience - that's great information.

To all - I guess what I'm looking for is a bit more detail on the various "failures" that can happen in an injection pump.

The description of the external seal failures was great:
BleachedBora said:
Biodiesel causes the pump seals to swell; regular diesel causes them to shrink—when you switch back and forth you’re asking for a seal to fail
As well as the veg failures, water contamination, dirty bio-d, etc.

However, this just left me with more questions (not meaning to pick on you/your information Aaron):
BleachedBora said:
If the plunger is going out then what was a smooth running pump will turn into a very loud “clacking” noise. When you’re heard it you know what it is! In these cases change the pump out ASAP as it will keep running until it seizes.
What makes the clacking noise?
What is a plunger going out - what does going out mean?
What makes the plunger "go out"?

Same things with the transfer pump, center head plug, rollers, quantity adjuster, temp sensor, outlet delivery valves, etc

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Google>diesel fuel injection systems portland>contacts. You will find their phone number. Drop Aaron's name when you talk to them. :)

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
BB: Thanks for your great explanation on pumps and the issues you have seen with bio-d.

As Herbert Hoover was reportedly looking for a one-handed economist, since all the ones he knew always said "on the other hand...", I'm looking for a one-handed TDI guru...

For the last couple of years I have been running B20 in the summer months, and D100 in the winter months, with PowerService run throughout. So your topic hit all my panic buttons.

It is acknowledged here that D100 is one step above yak urine in quality, and certainly not up to European standards, for which the engine was designed. So one tries to be a conscientous TDI owner, and finds there are no simple, direct paths.... merely your choice of tradeoffs.

<sigh>

Don

BleachedBora

TDI
Fix_Until_Broke said:
Thanks Aaron for your insights and experience - that's great information.

To all - I guess what I'm looking for is a bit more detail on the various "failures" that can happen in an injection pump.

The description of the external seal failures was great:

As well as the veg failures, water contamination, dirty bio-d, etc.

However, this just left me with more questions (not meaning to pick on you/your information Aaron):

What makes the clacking noise?
What is a plunger going out - what does going out mean?
What makes the plunger "go out"?

Same things with the transfer pump, center head plug, rollers, quantity adjuster, temp sensor, outlet delivery valves, etc

No worries--and I added this to the original article, as I said it had been a work in progress!

Plunger failure: Driveshaft turns the cam, between that there is a cam cross. These are hardened chrome pieces which start to wear out over time. The clearances start to get out of spec. As this happens the pump starts to make a lot more noise or clatter--all this does is show is that there has been a lot of wear and the parts are now out of operating tolerances.

Another problem is when the plunger seizes. The tolerances are down to 4 millionths of an inch (air miked) between the pump head and rotor. They need enough room for fuel to move through it; when there is excessive plunger clearance then you start to have low cranking delivery, also known as hard starting. This is where biodiesel starts to come into play. Bio or veggie oil has lots of lubricity, but veggie oils have particles/water/glycerin which does NOT have lubrication properties, this in turn will cause extra wear on your pump plunger and rotor. Also if your bio has particles, water or glycerin then the same problem happens....

Center head plugs are a one torque item. This has a sharp edge on it which allows it to seal as it's torqued. If you don't replace this plug then often it doesn't torque and seal right, which causes low cranking delivery (again, hard starting).

Transfer pump is a vane style pump. The driveshaft turns the pump, the blades centrifugally "fly out," or spread, and start picking up fuel....

Rollers are what rides on the hardened cam lobes. The cam lobes gives the plunger the lift it needs to operate. If you have low lubricity fuel, or biofueles then you'll see these hardened chrome pieces are pitted. I'm not a chemist, but perhaps the fluctuating pH levels of the biofuels cause the etching of the chrome pieces. Regardless, biofuel useage we've found as a contributing cause to this failure.

The quantity adjuster, or positioner, is the brain of the pump. This takes information from starting, to low idle, high idle, etc... This part is electrical, in the past with the IDIs it was mechanical. If the quantity adjuster starts to go out then your revs can go all over the place. Often they get sticky from veggie oil. They can rust out too with poor quality fuel.

Temp sensor is a always replace item on a proper rebuild. It causes CELs if it goes bad.

Output delivery valves are on the ends of the head, they are what you hook your fuel line up to (also known as fuel delivery valve holder nut. There is a spring and a gasket in there). This part stops fuel from going back up in the head after ignition as taken place. Some people put aftermarket delivery valves in hoping that they can get more fueling. There are better ways to get higher transfer pump pressures (like tuning!).

AuroraTDI

TDI
jetta, 02, silver
Great info BB. I would like to share my experience with bio and my injector pump.

Purchased an '02 TDI sedan used in '05 with about 60k on it as family/wife car. In '06 I completed and began using a homemade bio processor (appleseed type), I looked pretty smart as us lucky Coloradans had a nice diesel price spike http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_4139442 to go along with the ULSD switch. I stopped using bio that winter as my garage was unheated and I didn't feel up to blending through our winter. In '07 I produced no bio because I screwed up my processor trying to "improve" it, and petro diesel had returned to more normal prices. In the spring of '08 I repaired the processor and improved my process so I was able to produce enough in the summer to make it through this winter, blending down to approximately B10 at times. Never had a fail/hard start due to gelling, or any other reason. As my winter mixing was done in the tank of the car, my blend guess is very unscientific.

A few days ago my wife could not get the TDI started. I found the IP head seal leaking, enough to put three spots on the garage floor and cause hard starting if the car sat for more than a few hours. Thanks to this post I know what the seal is called. Turns out,my wife had gotten a 10 cent per gallon discount and used it to fill up with straight petro diesel. I had heard that switching from a bio blend to straight ULSD could shrink the seals so I did an experiment. The car was pretty low on fuel (1/8 tank or lower) so I filled it with 5 gallons of straight bio. I used some engine cleaner to clean off all the leaked diesel and hosed it all off. The car has not leaked a drop since going back to bio. I was actually a little astonished, it was like the seal instantly recovered, I expected at least a little more weeping of fuel.

I would recommend home brewers keep a can of bio around so they always have a bit to blend with. On long trips, instead of running on bio and switching to petro once you run out, run a constant low blend so you can make the entire trip with some bio in the fuel. As I told my wife, it appears our car is now "addicted" to bio.

Question, I will probably try and cheap my way out of this, assuming the leak comes back, by following these directions http://www.dieselgeek.com/TDI_Injection_Pump_Head_Seal_Replacement.htm. Thoughts?

Another section to add to your FAQ that would be helpful is a "how much might it cost", noting part only (DIY) vs installed cost, and the typical value of a core. Do you have a link where your future FAQ might land?

Last edited:

runonbeer

TDI
Those instructions are great. follow them to the letter and you will successfully fix your pump in about an hour for $9.

A used pump costs around $4-500. You've got to get a whole mess of tools to put one on the engine.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
I would add that after running B50-B80 in my TDI for 3 years, my head O ring was trash. I filled up with 100% ULSD and within 5 miles I had a dripper.

After a big ordeal with the pump head o ring change, I found that the old O ring actually had significant cracking on the side it was exposed to fuel. It is not simply a matter of swelling or shrinking seals. BD may help it for a while, but there is nothing that can fix a cracked seal.

jaredb03

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I had a question about a CEL. I am getting code:

17970 - Quantity Adjuster (N146): Upper Limit Reached
P1562 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

It only comes on when the temperature out side is over about 60 degrees. I know this because it was coming on last summer, and stopped this winter, and now it is coming back on. So i am thinking that it is the fuel pump temp sensor? I was just wanting someone to confirm my suspicion. I have another question about the temperature sensor. Can it cause hesitation and jerking? or is that another problem?

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
This thread is an oldy but a goody.

Something I have heard is that as a pump wears you can see the injection timing jumping on the graph. VCDS has a cloud function that will leave dots. How many dots is acceptable? What component wearing causes this to occur? The cam or plunger?

Also, I bought an 11mm pump with a bad QA and it would get the upper limit fault code and not idle right or give good accelerator response. I swapped my old 1Z QA onto the 11mm pump body and it fixed my problems. This seems like a bizarre functioning failure to me.

runonbeer

TDI
In my experience scattered timing plots are merely a result of which particular ECU is installed. Later ECUs like GN and FD exhibit virtually no changes in timing compared to an early BD. Same goes for IQ.

If it jumps around by a substantial amount you likely have an issue regardless of the ECU iteration.