www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) > Non TDI Upgrades

Non TDI Upgrades A collection of non TDI engine upgrades, but upgrades for TDI vehicles

Old August 7th, 2006, 13:57   #31
classen
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/43.98/34

Well I've had a pretty busy summer and I only got around to installing my MFD and TMC this past weekend. The install went pretty smoothly. I made a pig-tail harness very similar to the pencilneck one with the 4 pin quick disconnect so the pig tail adaptor can be easily removed.

I loaded in disc #1 and it updated the MFD firmware. I drove around for a few miles and it just worked. I was very pleased. I used some generic tap connectors from my local hardware store (the ones that are not recommended because they may result in no GALA signal). I didn't have the radioshack phone tap connectors on hand and I just wanted to get the job done. Anyways it appears the GALA signal is working just fine.

This is the MFD info:
NAV HW: 1002/36416
STAMP Mar 10 2003 / 12:10:57

my only problem right now is that despite having installed a TMC box, the volume and selection buttons on my steering wheel are not working. The cruise control works but no radio control. I will check all can-bus connections with my voltmeter this evening. If that fails I'll check the fuse in the TMC box, and if that fails I'll bring it up with the fellow that sold the TMC to me. The TMC box looks to be a 4BX 919 894A that has been flashed to 3B0 919 894A by Navi Service in Germany. The seller claimed it was working perfectly for him in his passat with MFD and FIS display.

Well I'll check it out this evening.

I haven't actually fitted the MFD into the DD slot yet, and it looks like it is going to be a real PITA. I will certainly use the string method to help pull the wires back at the same time I'm inserting the MFD.

wish me luck
Old August 7th, 2006, 14:09   #32
BlueCTTDi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classen
Well I've had a pretty busy summer and I only got around to installing my MFD and TMC this past weekend. The install went pretty smoothly. I made a pig-tail harness very similar to the pencilneck one with the 4 pin quick disconnect so the pig tail adaptor can be easily removed.

I loaded in disc #1 and it updated the MFD firmware. I drove around for a few miles and it just worked. I was very pleased. I used some generic tap connectors from my local hardware store (the ones that are not recommended because they may result in no GALA signal). I didn't have the radioshack phone tap connectors on hand and I just wanted to get the job done. Anyways it appears the GALA signal is working just fine.

This is the MFD info:
NAV HW: 1002/36416
STAMP Mar 10 2003 / 12:10:57

my only problem right now is that despite having installed a TMC box, the volume and selection buttons on my steering wheel are not working. The cruise control works but no radio control. I will check all can-bus connections with my voltmeter this evening. If that fails I'll check the fuse in the TMC box, and if that fails I'll bring it up with the fellow that sold the TMC to me. The TMC box looks to be a 4BX 919 894A that has been flashed to 3B0 919 894A by Navi Service in Germany. The seller claimed it was working perfectly for him in his passat with MFD and FIS display.

Well I'll check it out this evening.

I haven't actually fitted the MFD into the DD slot yet, and it looks like it is going to be a real PITA. I will certainly use the string method to help pull the wires back at the same time I'm inserting the MFD.

wish me luck
If your TMC box is working, then you will see "TMC" in the lower right corner of the map display in info mode... I just went through the TMC fuse failure issue (and succeeded in fixing it) - if I can be of any assistance let me know.
BlueCTTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 23:08   #33
classen
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/43.98/34

Ooops. I had my wires crossed. I had the CAN-BUS high and low crossed from the TMC to the DD plug. All is good now and the steering wheel controls work.
yeah!!!
Old August 7th, 2006, 23:27   #34
BlueCTTDi
Veteran Member

congrats!
BlueCTTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 13:47   #35
RedDemonSA

can someone tell me how to unlock the MDF??? Put in the wrong code 2 times and it was locked. I have the correct code now, but I just need to unlock the MDF. Help me please!!!!!!!!!! i want to get this thing going!!!
RedDemonSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 08:54   #36
tongsli
Veteran Member

Leave it on for an hour and it should let you try again
RC 3.1,DG pipes,Bosio PP764, Forge SMIC,R32 airbox,FSI/OilLevelSensor,150PDTIP&MAF&Intake Manifold, Bilstein TCs,TT brakes,280mm rears,A3 strut bar,ESP,Folding Mirrors,Aero wipers,Headlight Washers,PDC,Bora Trunk switch,VR6 muffler,4-motion valance, OEM Skid Plate &HIDs,Custom Tails, Zender Spoiler,WE Power,heated Seats,RNS2,MFSW,Anti-dazzle mirror,FIS,IRU,DWA,2nd OBDII,OEM Auto Window,P3 vent gauge, Webasto Thermotop C heater
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote