Horn problem

Jmaneval

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
2015 Jetta TDI SE horn quit working a few weeks ago.. Not sure which fuse to check but checked them all and they're good. Also not sure which relay to check or how to test them.. Horn works with the lock button on the remote but not when you push the steering wheel. Any experience with this?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
If you're still under warranty take it to the dealer.

The only way to DIY trouble shoot the fuses is one by one. Unfortunately volkswagen didn't mark the fuse boxes with what the fuses do.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I installed a 2 horn Kit from AA Rodriquez in my 2015 Jetta SEL TDI it actually sounds like a real car horn now....

Last edited:

Jmaneval

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
Yeah the fuses are fine and its out of warranty (53,000 miles). I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and take it in. It has me stumped.

Jmaneval

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
I was just looking at the horn upgrade tutorial and it shows the horn behind the bumper cover.. I found one in the cowl under the windshield (it beeps when you press the lock button on the remote). Is there another horn behind the bumper or did they move it in '15?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I was just looking at the horn upgrade tutorial and it shows the horn behind the bumper cover.. I found one in the cowl under the windshield (it beeps when you press the lock button on the remote). Is there another horn behind the bumper or did they move it in '15?
1 Horn right side front behind where the Fog light would be

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Horn failures are common. 95% likely hood the horn itself needs to be replaced. That said, key on, push horn button (driver airbag) and listen for relay in dash to click. If it clicks then almost certainly needs a horn.

Jason

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
I installed a 2 horn Kit from AA Rodriquez in my 2015 Jetta SEL TDI it actual sounds like a real car horn now....
+1 to this, a whole different car, doesn't make me embarrassed to hit the horn.

vtbigdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG
Seems to me the simple diagnostic is to disconnect the wires from the horn and place a meter on them and press the horn button.

Jmaneval

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
Thanks for the replies everyone. I took the horn out and wired it to direct power, no result. Put a voltmeter in the plug and got 12 volts with steering wheel pressed. So I guess it's the horn.. Ordered dual horn from aarodriguez should have it in a few days.. Meanwhile it passed inspection with no horn (guess they didn't check it). Thanks again.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
I've passed inspection with headlights out AND the bulb out light lit on the dashboard... Makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

jokerjp

TDI
Shopping for my 1st TDI
My horn quit as well.....

Jmaneval, let me know how you like the new horn and how installation goes....I'm guessing you ordered it as a 2006+ and requested the adaptor to support dual horns?

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Dual horn is definitely an upgrade. It wasn't even worth the trip to the dealer to have my defective horn replaced under warranty.

Jmaneval

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
Installed the dual horn today. Installation was simple and straightforward except the holes in the plate that was included were too small for the studs on the new horns. Easy fix though as I just reamed them out with a bigger bit (21/64). Also the included adapter wiring harness fell apart at the shrink wrap when I tried to connect it. I just reconnected it with butt connectors and electrical tape. Sounds good though, big difference from the factory horn.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Where is the horn located on a 2015 Jetta TDI with fog lights.
Is it still located passenger side and behind the fog light, or somewhere else because of the fog?
New horn here at VW is 130.00 buck which is crazy.

Last edited: