Axle Output Shaft Seals

TDI
98 Jetta
My axle shafts are leaking so looking for correct replacement seals and procedure.

1998 Jetta Mk3 AHU 5 speed manual
VIN 3VWRF81H8WM133262

I think I need
084409189B on both sides,

But there several different seals out there, some with 'sleeve' on passenger, green carriers, etc.

My car appears to have the green seal carriers.

Other applications (different years/models) available in kits including seal, circlip and end caps - but now I'm thinking that doesn't apply to my car.

One vendor says my VIN brings up 020 transmission (which I think would have the circlip and cap) but thinks I actually have 02A trans - I have hydraulic clutch which should be 02A?

I think the outer end of axle has to be disconnected at ball joint (i.e. like axle replacement which I've been through a few times) to get enough play to get to the seals. Is there a DIY sequence out there for this that I'm just not finding?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Your output stafts are leaking, or your axles are leaking?

084409189B Is correct for the output shafts. If your green carrier is good, leave it alone. If it’s beat up, dented, etc, replace it.

Pull the CV off, clean out the grease and you’ll see an Allen bolt. Remove it and the spring loaded flange will pop off. Consider draining trans or work fast. Replace seal, install drive flange, compressing spring and install bolt. That’s pretty much it.

-Todd

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
usually leak due to low or old fluids
best he drain it!
unless bead bearings or extremely raised or lowered, any unusual prolonged stress will cause this.

There is a trick to reusing old seals or to make a new seal work on a worn shaft of any sort.
Pull the spring off the seal and unscrew where is joins, and nip of 1 to 3 coils depending on how deep the shaft is worn. screw it back together and put it back on the seal. Of course you usually need a new seal for this unless you have assess to it from the back side, and in this situation you do not.
Food for though if the shaft is really badly groved.

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Todd is correct and you are too for that matter, 084409189B is correct for CTN trans.

Your car has the 02A transmission not the 020, there's no seal kit needed.

Your drive flange is held on with a center bolt and there's no cap installed on the 02A flange like the 020.

Replace the seals and be sure they're greased where the axle flange touches them and you should be fine. Replace the green cups only if necessary.

Steve

wyopel

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V-270k, 1998 Jetta-140k
If you are talking about the flange seal, in another thread from this forum I learned you can use part #02J 409 528 C

I think these are for Golf V and Jetta V. Different style with no green carrier. Easy to install. I have had them on two cars. No leaks, no problems. So if your green carrier is damaged, this is another option.

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If you are talking about the flange seal, in another thread from this forum I learned you can use part #02J 409 528 C

I think these are for Golf V and Jetta V. Different style with no green carrier. Easy to install. I have had them on two cars. No leaks, no problems. So if your green carrier is damaged, this is another option.
Yes, apparently that number does work as well. It's odd though if you look up the 084409189B flange seal VW does not list it as being interchangeable with the 02J seal, but if you look up the 02J409528C VW lists the 084 seal as equivalent.

Usually VW is better about these sorts of things. I'll have to make a note of the 02J part number

Steve

TDI
98 Jetta
usually leak due to low or old fluids
best he drain it!
unless bead bearings or extremely raised or lowered, any unusual prolonged stress will cause this.

There is a trick to reusing old seals or to make a new seal work on a worn shaft of any sort.
Pull the spring off the seal and unscrew where is joins, and nip of 1 to 3 coils depending on how deep the shaft is worn. screw it back together and put it back on the seal. Of course you usually need a new seal for this unless you have assess to it from the back side, and in this situation you do not.
Food for though if the shaft is really badly groved.
Interesting tip for tightening the spring in a seal - I'll remember this!

Could be tired bearings are the cause (trans "only" has 420k miles on it, but I changed the fluid a few times). I figure new seals are worth a try, I plan on
replacing the fluid.