ADBlue level

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
We had the 20K service done on our 15 SEL last week. When I got home I noticed the work order didn't list the DEF as having been filled. I called the dealer and asked and they said it had been filled. It was listed as filled on the work order for the 10K service last year.

So yesterday I checked the level in the tank with a 2ft long wire tie strap I have and noticed there was about 4" in the tank. The strap works well for checking levels due to the serrations making it very easy to see the level.

Is there a way to use the VCDS to check the quantity of DEF in the tank?

I don't believe the dealer actually did fill it and they are the closest VW dealer for us, about 60 miles away. On a positive note they did do a very nice detailing job for free.

Any suggestions?

DarkLordDad

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
I’m sure you can with vcds but I don’t know how.

I can however say that you can see this with obdeleven which is a very cheap alternative but it only supports android devices. I use a $25 tablet dedicated for my ‘14.

A quick search shows forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=370581 for how to check it with vcds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The VCDS / car computer measurement isn't very granular. If I recall correctly it can only read 80%, 20% and empty.

I wouldn't worry about it honestly. Unless you're going on a 1200 mile roadtrip tomorrow. The car will warn you once it gets to 20% with a 1200 mile countdown.

-J

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yes, it basically just has a couple spots for level, and that is primarily for use in determining how much current to run through the heater as well as a low tank warning. It isn't like a fuel gauge with a potentiometer.

Honestly, in the time it took you to check it, you could have just topped it up yourself. Then just remind them at next service that they forgot. Not a big deal. I keep some in my garage just in case.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
Yes, it basically just has a couple spots for level, and that is primarily for use in determining how much current to run through the heater as well as a low tank warning. It isn't like a fuel gauge with a potentiometer.

Honestly, in the time it took you to check it, you could have just topped it up yourself. Then just remind them at next service that they forgot. Not a big deal. I keep some in my garage just in case.

Not a big deal at all, I'm just curious if it could be read.

I used to fill the Mack TT I drove for UPS once a week with about 9-10gal of DEF. The DEF tank was right behind the fuel tank on the driver-side.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
When I get my car serviced at the dealership, I notice the opposite: the oil change invoice will list that they added DEF, but they never do. I asked them before about it, and they said it's automatically added to the invoice. Weird...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Not a big deal at all, I'm just curious if it could be read.

I used to fill the Mack TT I drove for UPS once a week with about 9-10gal of DEF. The DEF tank was right behind the fuel tank on the driver-side.

Yeah consumption is no where near a TT. With our phase 1 fixed '15, it seems to have no issues going 10K on a 2.5 gal cube of DEF, which easily fits in the tank once the low warning light comes on. Over filling, with the filler inside the trunk, is something to be avoided for the clean up.

I fill up the windshield washer fluid more than I do the DEF tank.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
I haven't had to add any DEF in the 10K since the service a year ago so I'm not worried about it. I'm just wondering if the dealer is blowing smoke where the sun doesn't shine, pun intended VWOA. If they didn't list it on the work order I'm just thinking it wasn't done even though when I called them the next day they verbally told me it was filled. No big deal in the whole scheme of things. All in all I'm pretty happy with them.

We leased our NOS 2015 from them just about 2 years ago and paid it off right away. We paid for the 20k and 30K servicing when we leased.

Has anyone "sticked"the DEF tank to check the level? Again just wondering.

wilder11354

TDI
2014 SE passat 6dsg
Only time i worry about DEF/ad blue is in the beginning of cold/winter. I make sure its topped/full. I don't want the heater elements in it exposed to air. Like an electric hot water heater. The elements only rupture/burn out is when not submersed in fluid.

Groundhog1248

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue 2015 Golf TDI 6 Speed SEL
Can I just add AdBlue to my 2015 Golf TDI and the light will go out? Or does something have to be reset? First time in 73k miles the light came on to add AdBlue. 70k service invoice says it was checked but 3k after service the lights on. Thanks

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
If everything is working as it should, the warning light will go off after you top it up. Go ahead.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Just a comment and a plug for Peak DEF. I had to fill my tank, as I had a warning of 800 miles to go before I was able to address the problem. It took slightly over 4.5 gals to fill and the Peak DEF with its own ventilated hose was just perfect for a painless spill-free filling.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
I've never filled mine before. What's the tank capacity? How do I know when it's getting near full without overfilling?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
About 5 gallons, if you fill from a 2.5 cube and want to top the tank, you can hear the fluid getting to the top but you'll prob over fill (I did when I thought i could finish off the last of the cube i had sitting in the garage for 6 months).

After cleaning up my own mess and going over my process, I honestly can't think of a reason why anyone would need to put in more than 2.5 gal when the low def light comes on other than the DEF was getting stale and you wanted to mix it with fresh stuff.

2.5 gal seems to get around 10K without issues.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Good info, thanks - I just added DEF to my BMW (4 gallon tank BTW). So after buying two 2.5 gallon jugs from Amazon I have a full one ready to go. :)

Marvin.S

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
Hi Everyone,

I just bought 2014 Passat TDI SEL. I noticed that adblue tanks's lid is missing. I was wondering if it evaporates without a lid and reduces the liquid (adblue) amount?

Thanks for the response. Also I will appreciate any tips that I should now about this car.