Flywheel weight?

Maverick80

TDI
2011 cjaa , 2001 Jetta ALH
So I’m looking at some clutch kits and am concerned about flywheel weight ( I don’t want to have a ton of issues) . The kits I’m looking at have a flywheel weight of 14& 10.5 lbs , are there any major issues with lightened flywheel that I should be aware of? What’s the lightest you can go without issues?.....

Thanks guys.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I don’t know who you have been looking at for a clutch kit but I use southbend for everything I do. If you are considering southbend give them a call and see what weight flywheels the offer. I do believe there is a threshold for being too light on a turboed car. Let alone a diesel turbo car.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Maverick,

Do NOT go for a lightened flywheel with a TDI. Too much vibration,
the usual SMF for the diesel is 21-22#s, and there's any number of good
reasons for that. If and when I ever need to replace my SBC2 End,
I might shave a # or 2 off mine, but then I also have a Fluidampr,
an additional harmonic dampener in the equation.

Are you looking at gasser clutches?

Maverick80

TDI
I’m looking at all kinds of clutches and I see there is a wide range of flywheel weight options so I thought I would ask .... I have seen from 11lbs to 24lbs which is a wide difference.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I did a sachs stage 2 endurance clutch and i used a lightened flywheel, 14 lbs on a fairly stock at the time AHU with 764's and a gt2052
no issues with idle or starting out. It is easier to stall it out like a gas engine clutch, but still like a TDI, you can feather the clutch with no throttle and still be fine.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I'm assuming this is for the ALH in your info? I believe I'm running a 21lb SMF and it's been great for 150k+ miles. The clutch was recently replaced with the newest SBC stage 3 and it is just a little quieter than the previous worn out disc. You can get a lighter SMF for the 02J, it just might be a bit louder with synchro clatter. A fluidampr would quiet it down most of the way, but it's hard to justify that expense when the brass synchros are known to handle the clatter.

If this is for your CJAA, DMF only on that one unless you enjoy removing and opening the gearbox frequently.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
increasing torque and retaining the same smoothness throughout the crank rotation requires increasing the moment of inertia of the rotating assembly

they actually went very light to begin with on these cars, thus the overrunning alternator pulley, hydraulic damper on the serpentine tensioner, and the use of a DMF (when the 2.0 gas gets by with a solid fw)

plenty of guys get away with lighter flywheels, I personally went to great expense to make up as heavy of one as I possibly could

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Second the heavy one. Went with 21lb on my sb3. Couldn't be happier with it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
lighter FW = slightly better MPG (like 1mpg if that), faster revs, slightly MORE power under the same fueling but a bit more shaky

heavyer = less MPG (again probably not measuarable), more power coming off the clutch going out of a turn and shift senario or driving, more evenrgy stored in the FW means less work to sustain RPMs in a shift

many more pro's and cons

mainly, what is the real reason for this? want to autocross? go light, if you daily drive and DGAS about getting them revs as fast as you can, then dont bother. the stock does just fine.

Read up more, there is PLENTY of threads about this, like over 50.

Maverick80

TDI
Thanks guys, this is for my ALH and I was just wondering as I have seen sooo many different options. I am not doing autoX or anything just a daily and fun .