Lubri Moly 5w/30

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2
Found a TDI guru here in my area and started using the Lubri Moly [sp?] oil my last two oil changes.
He states all the sleeper contingent swear by it for their modded rides with huge turbos and over stressed motors.

Anybody else have any familiarity. I'll be doing an oil analysis with the old oil that was taken out which was the same, but wanted some feedback.

Also, any pros/cons on what oil analysis company to use and why?

Thanks!

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Found a TDI guru here in my area and started using the Lubri Moly [sp?] oil my last two oil changes.
He states all the sleeper contingent swear by it for their modded rides with huge turbos and over stressed motors.
Anybody else have any familiarity. I'll be doing an oil analysis with the old oil that was taken out which was the same, but wanted some feedback.
Thanks!
What oil were you using previously? Did you do an oil analysis on it, that would be a baseline for comparison. I guess Blackstone Labs is as good as anybody. Is your car part of the sleeper contingent for whatever that is worth?

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
What oil were you using previously? Did you do an oil analysis on it, that would be a baseline for comparison. I guess Blackstone Labs is as good as anybody. Is your car part of the sleeper contingent for whatever that is worth?

HA! Good question. I'll have to ask SpoolinJim the guy I purchased it from lol...I used Blackstone b4 but on the fluids and lubricants thread there seems to be some bias against them but I couldn't find out why that was.

Mine isn't in the sleeper contingent, unless you categorize a Malone Stage 2 tune as such. :rolleyes:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
A little more "guru" info for you.

As for Schaeffer's oil, I don't think it's far from reality, that our PD cam kits, with the proper oil, which we think is Schaeffer's 9000 5-40, that Schaeffer's Oil company has noted an increase in usage since we have been promoting it. Our cam success is not because of a single improvement.

Maybe that's not the way some see it. When we are talking oil, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax

Thanks!
Blackstone doesn't accurately measure soot and fuel dilution. Their advice is also dubious at best. That is their biggest shortcoming.

I like Oil Analyzers AKA Polaris labs. You can buy individual kits from Amsoil or in bulk from Polaris. They provide a comprehensive analysis for $30, which includes TBN, Soot, FD and also measure antimony in their GC metals scan.

Lubro Moly is Liqui Moly and they are regarded as a lower quality brand name is Germany. For some reason consumers in America think LM is top tier but in reality their products are average at best. My experience with their 507 oil was not positive and I will not use any of their fully formulated oils again. In my opinion, totallyNOTworth the premium they charge for the "Made in Germany" label when their are domestic offerings which are far superior than anything LM imports into North America.

Ravenol (German)
Rowe (German)
Kendall SHP
Renewable Lubricants Biosyn HD
Amsoil
Shaeffer

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah........do a PD oil search here and 99% of the forum members will tell you 5W-40 for a VW PD no 5W-30. Is your Guru really a TDI guy or just a VW repair shop?

No he's a guru...got plaques all on the wall from VW...
edit: just checked my receipt and it is indeed 5W/40 lol!

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
Blackstone doesn't accurately measure soot and fuel dilution. Their advice is also dubious at best. That is their biggest shortcoming.

I like Oil Analyzers AKA Polaris labs. You can buy individual kits from Amsoil or in bulk from Polaris. They provide a comprehensive analysis for $30, which includes TBN, Soot, FD and also measure antimony in their GC metals scan.

Lubro Moly is Liqui Moly and they are regarded as a lower quality brand name is Germany. For some reason consumers in America think LM is top tier but in reality their products are average at best. My experience with their 507 oil was not positive and I will not use any of their fully formulated oils again. In my opinion, totallyNOTworth the premium they charge for the "Made in Germany" label when their are domestic offerings which are far superior than anything LM imports into North America.

Ravenol (German)
Rowe (German)
Kendall SHP
Renewable Lubricants Biosyn HD
Amsoil
Shaeffer

Interesting on both topics: oil analysis and the Liqui Moly info...I'm going the Polaris Labs route this time.

Can you be more specific regarding 507 Liqui Moly experience! Was it in a

PD engine?

Thanks!!
This is why I love this site!

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting on both topics: oil analysis and the Liqui Moly info...I'm going the Polaris Labs route this time.

Can you be more specific regarding 507 Liqui Moly experience! Was it in a

PD engine?

Thanks!!
This is why I love this site!
No, never owned a PD. I also would never use a 507 oil in one either.

The Liqui Moly oil I used did not hold alkalinity throughout the 10K oil change interval. It was only good for 8k miles. Furthermore, there were also high wear metals, which I believe was caused by insufficient engine protection primarily due to VWs poor DPF regeneration strategy. I sold the car back to VW so I was not impacted directly however it was a learning experience.

In my opinion, the best oil you can get for your PD will be any FULLY SYNTHETIC CJ-4 or CK-4 diesel oil that meets Ford WSS-M2C171-F1 specifications. You can use 5w40, 10w40 or 15w40 in Socal weather as the winter rating isn't a factor unless it gets below 0F.

The true diesel engine oils above^^ have additional dispersants to help encapsulate soot and as well as additional anti-wear additives to protect your engine. The VW 505.01 type oils will also work however not as well as the HD type.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Does the above mentioned Ravenol have the Ford approval? I thought Allison TES 439 was the all important manufacturer approval for tdi's. ;)

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That looks like a really high quality oil. Not sure I want to know what it costs over here.

If I wanted to go to a super exotic oil, I'd get the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 :) . That prancing horse on the bottle adds major street cred.

Last edited:

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
That looks like a really high quality oil. Not sure I want to know what it costs over here.

If I wanted to go to a super exotic oil, I'd get the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 :) . That prancing horse on the bottle adds major street cred.

The Ravenol NDT is not expensive, and blauparts puts it on sale frequently. I scored (3) 5L jugs for $35 each w/free shipping on Black Friday 2018.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Last edited:

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
If I had the patience to wait for the stars to align to buy motor oil, I'd get Delvac1 5w40 for half that cost. I don't see the point in getting full OCD over motor oil, analysis outfits, etc. Seen enough data like this:

https://jalopnik.com/why-expensive-oil-is-a-waste-of-money-1797241527

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/860410-blackstone-labs-oil-comparisons-conclusion.html
It's not that complicated. Blauparts frequently has oil sales, 10-15% off once a month. The 20%+ off sitewide sales happen a couple times a year and that is a good time to stock up. If you subscribe to their emails you will receive a notification.

Delvac 1 ain't what it used to be. I was a big fan of the old CJ-4 version but it's not the same high quality product it once was. And your math is fuzzy...

Delvac 1 is $35/gallon @ walmart. 1 Gal = 3.785L, $35/3.785L = $9.25 per Liter

Ravenol NDT regular price is $45.83 per 5L jug. $45.83/5L = $9.17 per Liter.

As you can see, the regular price Ravenol NDT is actually slightly cheaper than Delvac 1.

If you bought the Ravenol on sale or the Delvac 1 during a rebate promotion I think their price difference would still be negligible.

I have seen higher quality oils, like the ones referenced above produce 1/2 the wear metals as the other brands typically sold at Walmart. Does 1/2 the measured wear during an interval mean anything? I suppose it depends on what value you place on the information.

Oil analysis is a valuable tool, used in a preventative maintenance program. It allowed me to see how poorly Liqui Moly 507 oil performed. If I had just believed the glowing Amazon reviews (which I suspect contain fake or paid shills) I would still be using it. However, I now know and can spend my money on better product.

I also have the information to share. That is the value of analysis.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm afraid it's your math that is a bit fuzzy. Delvac1 ESP can be had for $10-15/ gallon when utilizing the mail in rebate deals they run every year. It's still a great oil.

Oil analysis is a great tool, I wasn't suggesting it isn't. I was saying that I find it ridiculous when others suggest that Blackstone is inferior, or 507 oils are inferior, or the CK4/SN spec is inferior, or Liqui Moly is inferior, etc., etc. At some point, obsessing over motor oil becomes unhealthy, imo. Just dump in the appropriate spec and be done with it.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm afraid it's your math that is a bit fuzzy. Delvac1 ESP can be had for $10-15/ gallon when utilizing the mail in rebate deals they run every year. It's still a great oil.
Oil analysis is a great tool, I wasn't suggesting it isn't. I was saying that I find it ridiculous when others suggest that Blackstone is inferior, or 507 oils are inferior, or the CK4/SN spec is inferior, or Liqui Moly is inferior, etc., etc. At some point, obsessing over motor oil becomes unhealthy, imo. Just dump in the appropriate spec and be done with it.
More Fuzzy Math.

Current Mobil rebate is $10 per gallon for D1 ESP. $35-$10=$25/gal

$25/gal / 3.785 L/gal = $6.60 Liter

Ravenol NDT sale price is $35/5L jug. Thats $7.00 Liter.

I said D1 ESP and Ravenol NDT price difference was negligible with rebate or on sale at Blauparts. As you can see it's true.

Lets review for clarity:

The OP asked about a specific brand of oil. Not a specification.

The OP also asked about Pros/cons of oil analysis companies.

I provided accurate information and included my experience. I said Liqui Moly oils were "average" and "not worth the premium price". I also never used the word "inferior". That is your word.

It seems like your obsessing over something that was never said or really happened.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry, didn't intend to ruffle any feathers. It seems that Exxon-Mobil reduced the rebate by a few bucks recently. It may go up and down a lot, not sure. But you can find much better pricing on the D1 if you're looking for deals. $15/ gallon, no problem.

This link is fitting since the Ford manufacturers approval is so important. :) - which the Ravenol oil you mentioned doesn't actually have, by the way(just take their word that it could get approval):

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1484041-mobil-delvac-1-esp-rebate-new.html

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Using the wrong oil (not meeting engine spec) can cause issues in engines. I think it's pretty rare for an engine to experience failure because of the "quality" of the oil, whatever that is. I've used Total Quartz 9000 in my ALH cars for 12 years. Is it the best oil? I have no idea. Does it matter? I doubt it. With engines achieving 300K+ and this oil with no signs of abnormal wear, I'd say it's fine.

And I bet someone is going to bring up PD cam wear. The "correct" oil for those engines when designed is 505.01 5w40. If you use that oil there's a lot of data that shows the cams last well in excess of 200K miles, which is pretty typical for any VW cam, PD or otherwise.

Like turbobrick240 said, put the oil in that meets the spec and be done with it. If you can get a good deal on an oil that meets the spec and that floats your boat, use it. If you like a particular brand, use that. Diesel on.

Last edited:

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI

Found out from the PO that he was using Mobil 1 TDT after warranty was over. B4 that it was dealer installed Castrol spec.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
Found out from the PO that he was using Mobil 1 TDT after warranty was over. B4 that it was dealer installed Castrol spec.
My '03 Golf had M1 TDT CJ-4 in it when I bought it. The oil analysis was excellent. I think this oil is a great value and has a history of working well in TDIs. Mobil recently re-formulated it for CK-4, however I'm sure it will be just as good, if not better than the previous formula.

Here was my report at 9K miles last year when I got the car. It says ESP but that is a typo.

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah........do a PD oil search here and 99% of the forum members will tell you 5W-40 for a VW PD no 5W-30. Is your Guru really a TDI guy or just a VW repair shop?
No he's a guru...got plaques all on the wall from VW...
edit: just checked my receipt and it is indeed 5W/40 lol!

Thought I'd revisit the thread lol...

Also, besides having all the TDI certifications on the wall, he is Phaeton certified....PS VW sends 'em to Aaron lol...There was one in there last Tuesday [a W12 no less!!] when I was getting my AC serviced [down 120 grams] that had "a couple of little problems" he was fixing...one of which was the self closing module for the trunk that was inop....all three would end up costing the owner around $3k!!!!:eek:

BTW I'm still using the 4100 5w/40 Liqui Moly FWIW..no complaints.
Next change is due in about 5k miles and will try out Polaris Labs and see what it comes back vis a vis the Blackstone data.