www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old April 26th, 2019, 22:37   #1
Cjilliego

TDI(s): 2014 Touareg
Default 2014 with 80k and catastrophic HPFP

Hi all, my first post. Not sure I am posting in correct forum, if not, please let me know. My 2014 Touareg with 79,550 mi just stopped running. VW says it HPFP. It is under extended warranty so thankfully costs for replacing fuel system are covered. But I am VERY disappointed. I bought this specific vehicle for the long lasting engine. Darn!!!! Since all of you have more diesel knowledge than me, I would like to ask....
- since 2014 has this Bosch fuel pump received improved modifications or will VW probably be rebuilding with same model pump?
- if there is a new modified pump available, does it seem to be lasting longer than the original faulty pumps?
- if anyone has had this repair done under warranty, is there any future extra warranty coverage I should try requesting since they will be messing with so many engine parts?
- I live in California and usually purchase diesel at ARCO stations. Could their diesel be sub quality or can that an issue with big brand fuel stations?
Thanks for helping me become informed.
Cjilliego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2019, 19:28   #2
Fourdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~53 mpg on Golf (sold)

HPFP catastrophic failure is not uncommon on the later VW diesels (just because diesels can be built strong and built to last doesn't mean that the California regulators - who HATE diesels - haven't forced changes to meet emissions requirements which have not been adequately proven). The failure rates have not been extremely high but they have been reported both here and on ClubTouareg.
You are very unlikely to experience two failures in succession provided your mechanic does a credible job of fixing yours. If ANY dirt remains in your system after the repair all bets are off! It is also unlikely that the source of your fuel is the cause unless a lot of dirt and contamination are found.
'83 Mitsubishi 4X4 PU(2.3L turbodiesel)
'85 U1700 UNIMOG ["I DO understand - its a UNIMOG thing"]
Fourdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2019, 08:25   #3
Cjilliego

TDI(s): 2014 Touareg

Thanks for the information 😊
Cjilliego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2019, 07:45   #4
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Many folks use fuel additive to lessen wear on the HPFP.

2015 Q5 TDI w/ Chipwerke tuner, 36K Miles. Post fix MPG: 33.9
2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)
Mythdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 22:18   #5
buguyed

TDI(s): 2016 Touareg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythdoc View Post
Many folks use fuel additive to lessen wear on the HPFP.

What fuel additive is recommended?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buguyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2019, 03:12   #6
showdown 42
Veteran Member

Yes use a lubricative additive. Read on the club touareg web site of the choices people use. I have had 4 VW diesels and always use "Power service" grey bottle additive. It is readily available in many auto outlets including Walmart. I have never had an HPFP issue. It is a good insurance policy. BTW don't run your fuel down to below a quarter of a tank. Fuel lubricats the fuel pump and gets hotter than it should when there are very few gallons left in the tank.

Good news is the Touareg has a pretty good history in the fuel pump area compared with the 2LT diesel used in the Jettas and Golfs. Good luck.
showdown 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 10:25   #7
DieselSport15

Fuel Economy: 45+mpg , 27 mpg

What are the symptoms of a failing HPFP? I have a 2014 Exec with a Malone Stage 2 tune. On a "colder" engine around 25-40mph, at about 15-20% throttle it can be very surge-y and its kind of annoying! At higher speeds and more throttle its fine but around the city with light throttle between stop lights it can be bad. Bought at around 43K miles and now at about 65K, I used Stanadyne and Archoil additives.
DieselSport15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2019, 12:48   #8
showdown 42
Veteran Member

Well you are using good quality additives. I am not one for tuning of these engines,especially if you are concerned with your warranty on the fixed emissions system.
I would bet VW would deny any issue with the engine if they know it has been tuned. I'm sure the tuning has added power and speed ,but it is risky in the circumstances we are in with the diesel situation.
I'm just being conservative with my baby.LOL
showdown 42 is offline   Reply With Quote