Splash/mud guards. Anyone have those?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
As the title says, anyone have mud and splash guards on their car? Care to share pictures? OEM, aftermarket or DIY?

madmako

TDI
2011 JSW 6M MetWhite SR
Henrick,

I installed OEM on my '11 JSW. I had a floor jack, so it was quick and easy to just remove the wheels one at a time. If I had any tips to offer it would be to open the existing holes in the plastic or woven mat and I used a step drill to open the holes up a bit in the flaps themselves. It makes adjusting a whole lot easier, so long as you don't exceed the size of the screw head. The OEM splash guards are pricier than aftermarket, but the fit and finish is worth it.

chris_b

TDI
2006 Jetta
Bought a used 2010 Jetta TDI sedan about 2 weeks ago. It has mud flaps. Don't they all (was this an option)? I like them quite a bit, as I live in a mountainous area with a lot of mud on the road during the winter... just caught the tail end of the rain in No. Cal. when I bought the car. They seem to keep most of the mud and dirt from kicking up on the side of the car.

Last edited:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've heard that OEM ones wear off the paint from the area where they contact the car body. So after some time with help of moisture and oxygen rust will start. It will look ugly if you decide to remove them. Is that true?

To be honest, I'm considering only the gront guards (aftermarket) and install them in the outer side of the fender cover.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
They are a tight fit, so the possibility of paint erosion is there.

Just install some 3M clear tape before installing the mud guards and all will be good.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The car is silver in colour and the front OEM ones look really ugly to me because of that wide side plastic molding. A buddy will bring some aftermarket stuff tomorrow so I'll see if I can find something to fit.

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
Our cars all wear OEM schmutzfaenger; German for mud flap.

The V'dub OEM versions fit the Jetta pretty well and after 4 grueling Colorado mountain winters, the cars lower body panels shout "thank you".

Check with the VW Parts Outlet , seems the MkV versions were priced uber cheap the other day.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Indeed, only $6. Unfortunately, they have only for Jetta and not for Golf (Rabbit) which seems to be a different p/n. :(

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
First option I installed on my Jetta and glad I did. As was stated above, put some 3M clear bra material around the mud guards and then install them to prevent paint rubbing. You can also paint them to color match your car as some have done. I seriously doubt you'll find any aftermarket that fit nearly as well as the OEM.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Check with the VW Parts Outlet , seems the MkV versions were priced uber cheap the other day.
What does that mean? Driver gear? Website says sold only through dealership...
IDParts, fronts are currently around $55...is that "uber cheap"?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK. I ended up obtaining a really, really generic two pieces of rubber (~$7). My primary goal is to slow down rust process of the underbody. In twoo weeks I plan to install that rubber, might post pics of the result.

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
Our cars all wear OEM schmutzfaenger; German for mud flap.

The V'dub OEM versions fit the Jetta pretty well and after 4 grueling Colorado mountain winters, the cars lower body panels shout "thank you".

Just called my dealer. These are the rear ones for a GLI. :(