www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

View Poll Results: B5.5 Oil Pump Chain
My 2004 B5.5 pump chain has not been an issue yet 78 22.35%
My 2004 B5.5 pump chain I think is making noise 24 6.88%
My 2004 B5.5 pump chain has failed! 5 1.43%
My 2005 B5.5 pump chain has not been an issue yet 164 46.99%
My 2005 B5.5 pump chain I think is making noise 54 15.47%
My 2005 B5.5 pump chain has failed! 27 7.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 5th, 2008, 14:38   #46
jcaimhigher
Veteran Member

Oilhammer, that's what I was saying, very rare combination. I have a wagon/Variant so even moreso. I have seen 2 B5 TDIs around Chicagoland. Only way to tell is by the sidemarker placement (B5.5 are on the mirrors) as you know.

I'd like to see what the numbers are though, that would be interesting. Mine was built in Oct 2004, but it's a 2005. I think VW delayed due to the emissions issues.
jcaimhigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 17:41   #47
Bivi
Veteran Member

Three weeks ago a deer ran into our car causing about 3 grand of damage to the front end. Picked up the car on Friday. Last night on the way to pickup the kids the engine lost power, the oil light came on and then the MFD displayed an ominous STOP message.

Got word from my mechanic that the oil chain broke, sent a piece of the chain into the timing belt shredding it to pieces. The engine halted and chewed up the gear at the end of the timing belt. God only knows what it did to the the head any other number of things inside the engine.

Only thing I can say is oh my GOD! I have been diligent with all service and this is what happens. PISSED. Wondering if the impact from the deer strike could have caused or helped this on?

Has VW made any statement on the potential for this item to fail?

How are you supposed to protect against what you know nothing about?????

Really losing faith in VW
Golf A2 GL '90 (RIP)
Bivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 17:46   #48
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Boy that would be some really goofy laws of physics if a tiny little chain broke and somehow came THROUGH a chunky aluminum piece and got anywhere near the timing belt. That really sounds far-fetched.

I have seen two oil pump chain failures on non-BHW engines, and aside from the broken chain, the engine was untouched.

It sounds more to me like the chain may have broken, the oil pump stopped turning and oil pressure immediately went to ZERO, causing the 'idiot' light and even a message to come up, which you ignored and continued to drive until the camshaft siezed in the head from lack of lubrication and THEN the timing belt shredded from trying to turn a siezed cam. Now THAT is not far fetched at all.

Last edited by oilhammer; February 5th, 2008 at 17:50.
oilhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 17:54   #49
Bivi
Veteran Member

saw it with my own eyes big hole in the oil pump housing and the timing belt was totally shredded.
Golf A2 GL '90 (RIP)
Old February 5th, 2008, 17:58   #50
jcaimhigher
Veteran Member

LOL, Oilhammer that was beautiful.

That's a more likely reason for the belt to go. When mine went, the cover shattered the bottom but the chain stayed inside and there was enough of the cover containing everything. Lost about half of the bottom of the cover for the chain.

I use Amsoil faithfully and I knew the car would be ok for the little way I needed to go. The turbo shouldn't have spooled up at all, but we dont' know why the OEM EGT sensor didn't protect it. (Yeah, I drove it to the house-again not smart but no choice)

There was still enough oil in there slushing around but definitely not enough to drive far.

He would have had a light immediately after the incident, immediately. If it seized the upper then it was very 'known' that there was a major problem but it was still being driven.

FWIW, I remember not having any power. The turbo may have blown shortly after the catastrophe due to the rapid loss of oil. (hard to tell) have them check the turbo too!!!!
Old February 5th, 2008, 18:04   #51
Bivi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaimhigher

There was still enough oil in there slushing around but definitely not enough to drive far.

He would have had a light immediately after the incident, immediately. If it seized the upper then it was very 'known' that there was a major problem but it was still being driven.

FWIW, I remember not having any power. The turbo may have blown shortly after the catastrophe due to the rapid loss of oil. (hard to tell) have them check the turbo too!!!!
I think the car travled less then 300 feet before i was able to get it over to the side of the road. Hope that was enought time to save the turbo.
Golf A2 GL '90 (RIP)
Old February 5th, 2008, 18:06   #52
jcaimhigher
Veteran Member

Could have been. You can take off the intake air tube going to the turbo inlet. Two bolts, remove them and take off the hose. Then smell it. Feel the impellar and see if you can wiggle it fore to aft. Try spinning it, etc..

If it feels fine then it likely is fine.
Old February 5th, 2008, 18:06   #53
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivi
saw it with my own eyes big hole in the oil pump housing and the timing belt was totally shredded.
OK, what you saw is not what you are explaining to us. The 'oil pump' has no 'housing'. It is a little cast iron 'box' INSIDE the engine. You cannot see it from the outside. Even if the oil pump came apart totally, it would be inside the bottom of the engine...in the oil pan.

If you are talking about a piece of aluminum down low in front of the engine, that is just the front crankshaft seal retainer...not a housing of any kind. However any compromise in that piece would be right near the timing belt's lower sprocket, and apperently could cause an issue.

Can you get the engine number from the tag (several are shown earlier in this thread)?

Last edited by oilhammer; February 5th, 2008 at 18:08.
oilhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 18:08   #54
Bivi
Veteran Member

I was mistaken... What you are describing is what I saw. So what is the possibility of putting Humpty back from that kind of failure?
Golf A2 GL '90 (RIP)
Old February 5th, 2008, 18:11   #55
jcaimhigher
Veteran Member

The timing belt going (with where the damage is located) doesn't make sense. Are you sure the timing belt is broken? You wouldn't see that either necessarily.

The chain in teh bottom of the front of the entine, behind the retainer is for the crank to the oil pump/balance shaft. The "housing" you saw, aluminum, is the retainer. If the crack/hole is at the bottom and that's all you see, then your timing belt is fine.

300' of travel? Then your belt didn't go when the chain went. I just don't believe that. If your mechanic is telling you that then he's not making sense.

You'll have to pretend I'm from Missouri and "show me".
Old February 5th, 2008, 18:19   #56
Bivi
Veteran Member

From what I saw( and we all know now that I could have been wrong in what I thought was the timing belt ) the timing belt was in pieces

so is it possible that the timing belt was compromised first then the oil pump chain. Maybe he had it back wards. I know the timing belt was changed out on the nose as to when it was to be replaced.

Maybe i can get some pics of the car tomorrow and post them.
Golf A2 GL '90 (RIP)
Old February 5th, 2008, 18:26   #57
jcaimhigher
Veteran Member

You can send them via email also if it's hard to post/host on the site.

The timing belt (I presume you've seen it before) is ribbed rubber for the car's ... never mind cheesy joke.

Anyways you know what it looks like. If the belt went I have a hard time believing the chain lunched. It would have turned with the crank. The oil pump shaft isn't that hard to move in comparison with the crank. They're connected, so it would have rotated while the engine continued to rotate.

I have a hard time believing the belt just snapped.

I do belive the chain went, the remnants of what you saw was of the retaining seal (housing) over the chain, and anything you saw was due to that. If it was the timing belt I dont' think you would have seen anything at all, it's all covered up.
Old February 5th, 2008, 18:28   #58
oilhammer

I would very much like to see some pics too.

Also, did you say the timing belt was just replaced? Was this due to the accident?
Old February 5th, 2008, 19:31   #59
jcaimhigher
Veteran Member

He said he had over 100k and knew the exact date the belt was replaced. I think it was replaced before the accident. He just had the incident last night, about 3-4 days after he got the car back.

That's why I said I didn't think the belt just "went" being it was replaced at the scheduled time before the incident.

I'm guessing the belt is perfectly fine, the engine is fine, but he'll need to verify that crank. if the teeth are missing or whatever, he'll have to replace the whole crank.

Take photos, as many as you can.

Does someone have a way I can post pics? Maybe help me with my own site or something? I just don't have the time at all to research and such. I

I have pics of my tear down where the crank was still in and the teeth damage old/new is visible.
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:23   #60
TDIsyncro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Audi/TDI x 2
Fuel Economy: 50-60mpg HWY, depending on speed and wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaimhigher
Take photos, as many as you can.

Does someone have a way I can post pics? Maybe help me with my own site or something? I just don't have the time at all to research and such. I

I have pics of my tear down where the crank was still in and the teeth damage old/new is visible.
It is easy to add them to the your TDI photo album, but if you don't have time, you can email them to me, and I will post them on mine...but you have to do the commentary. BIVI - I will post yours too, if you need.
PM for my email address.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=415533
TDIsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote