Engine Splash Shield Help

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
newish to me 05 here.
Having some trouble figuring out how the engine splash guard attaches. Still in my unfamiliar phase, so i hope this isn't too dense! thanks to the help of this forum, i have procured a splash shield and what i thought was all the associated hardware.

what i have:
splash shield
rear mount bracket w/ nuts
rear dowel pin (silver) x3
front dowel pin (black) x5
fender skirt dowel pins (brown, now black) & plastic nuts x4
the rubber washers to hold all the pins

all ordered by VIN & P/N from the online Genuine VW parts source of my choosing. expensive pieces of plastic! getting to the point here: ETKA says that the front fasteners attach to the same speed nut as the rears, but i just dont see how those attach to the car! maybe i just didn't reach around to the top of the cowling and feel for a mount point for them? it's all oily down there because some idiot was driving around without the shield and smacked the oil pan--different post....but for now, i am trying to fit the pan back up, the front nuts are missing and i don't know what goes there or how they attach.

that's a LOT of words for a stupid splash pan!
thanks for your time and contributions!

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Is your plastic stuff returnable? For the money, you might want to go with one of the aftermarket aluminum ones. When I broke mine on a large ice lump, I bought an EVO Imports. 3/16" thick and easy to install.
Otherwise and going from memory: The front ones screw into matching speed nuts that clip onto an extension of the large plastic bit that carries the radiator. The rear ones screw into matching speed nuts on the rear mounting bracket.
There are two parts to the splash shield, the front one under the engine and the rear one that covers both sides of the transmission.

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat waggon BHW PD
I don't have stock attachment points anymore, I also have an aftermarket aluminum skid pan.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
thanks for the replies! so the front dowels go through the pan & cowl to the speed nuts further up on the rad support. i'll check it out once i'm back from vacation.

i was and am aware of the aluminum offering and chose to go OE after sourcing the plastic shield @ a junkyard for pretty much free. for ME, i don't see the one advantage of the panzer plate outweighing the functionality of the OE plastic. i know sh*t happens, but i have other vehicles that i can drag the undersides of to my heart's content. don't get me wrong: it looks like a decent product, but i just bought a 15 year old german car that could use $300 in areas other than the splash guard. then there's the half a day underneath it installing nut-serts and new brackets...top it all off with the fugly factor and i'll be staying stock.

Last edited:

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
Is your plastic stuff returnable? For the money, you might want to go with one of the aftermarket aluminum ones. When I broke mine on a large ice lump, I bought an EVO Imports. 3/16" thick and easy to install.
Otherwise and going from memory: The front ones screw into matching speed nuts that clip onto an extension of the large plastic bit that carries the radiator. The rear ones screw into matching speed nuts on the rear mounting bracket.
There are two parts to the splash shield, the front one under the engine and the rear one that covers both sides of the transmission.
+1 on this. And I'll bet the total cost is not much more for the evolution imports one. I bought it from cascadegerman.com which I believe is the new-and-improved Bora Parts. I just installed one on my Passat wagon and love it.