Unwelcome noise from the radio...

hover_one

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '03 GLS TDI Navy Blue
...and I don't mean rap music. (That's another topic for another thread.)

My factory radio in my trusty '96 B4 rattles as I drive. Any bump gives little clicks and knocks and squeaks from the radio control head itself. I can place my finger and press lightly on the left side of the face of the radio, just below the volume knob and the rattling will stop while I have my finger on the radio. Is there something I can tighten or adjust to stop the noises and how do I do that?

There are other bumps and squeaks from behind the dash that I can't track down just yet, but this one is the most annoying. I look forward to any help, thanks a bazillion!

John

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Welcome to the wonderful world of older diesels! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

OK, I know that didn't help. One thing you might try is a dampener, like a bit of napkin stuffed in the crevice that is making the noise. This will give a little extra tightness in the joint and may help. Plus, it's cheap! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

A more drastic helper is the replacement of motor mounts. I have read that this helps. At nearly 140k my Passat is starting to rattle as well, so I'm interested in how you fare. /images/graemlins/smile.gif