04 jetta tdi running bad cold..

tfs6

TDI
98 VW Beetle TDI
When I start the car cold it seems to run rough and won't go over 25 mph once its warmed up to running temp it goes ok but has little power taking off then at around 3000k rpm it takes off like a bat outta #$%%. I replaced the injector seals and replaced the maf 3 times with vw OEM sensors it didn't help actually it made it worse so I took it to vw and had them do a diagnostics. They found a hole in the hose coupling on the pressure outlet so I replaced that but I'm still having the same problem but it runs like it did in the beginning. The maf is good for sure the only scanner I have is an actron and even with the new maf it throws the code for mass or volume air flow circuit range / performance. I've cleaned the intake and egr, the egr isn't sticking I've checked that twice I replaced the cat it was clogged I don't have access to a vagcom or vcds so any suggestions? Oh I also replaced all vacuum lines they also came from vw.. I just don't know what else to check the turbo and actuator is also good the turbo was just cleaned.

Last edited:
TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Retarded timing? Fuel filter new? Bad coolant temp sensor? Try unplugging the CTS which will fool the glowplugs in to running full cycle and see if that helps the starting. Time to find someone nearby with VCDS I'm thinking.

tfs6

TDI
98 VW Beetle TDI
Timing is good also new filter and haven't even looked at the temp sensor if you would be kind enough to tell me how to unplug the cts? I'll try that. Also a friend of mine has access to a vagcom but his boss is kinda twitchy about it but I'm trying to get access to it

Crankous

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GL 5speed w/Panzer FMJ, 2005 B5.5 passat auto, 2000 Golf 4 door 5 speed
Timing is good also new filter and haven't even looked at the temp sensor if you would be kind enough to tell me how to unplug the cts? I'll try that. Also a friend of mine has access to a vagcom but his boss is kinda twitchy about it but I'm trying to get access to it
CTS=coolant temp sensor.

its to the right of the valve cover in between the air box and the air pump just slightly lower.. Here is a link that should help

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=159069&highlight='temperture+sensor'

tfs6

TDI
98 VW Beetle TDI
Thank you for the link crank it helped but while I wait for the engine to cool can the cts really cause all this?

tfs6

TDI
98 VW Beetle TDI
Ok folks I took a good long look at it today there seems to be a ton of oil in the intake line so I was trying to see where it came from and its coming in through the positive crank vent the n79 heater was caked with oil my friend hooked up his shops vagcom and the only thing it showed was the code p0101 which is the maf code I replaced the maf 4 times as of today the only thing I can think of has to do with the pcv but what can cause that? I checked everything from the vac lines to the turbo vanes and ran the actuator test twice could the valves be sticking or something along those lines?

Crankous

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GL 5speed w/Panzer FMJ, 2005 B5.5 passat auto, 2000 Golf 4 door 5 speed
Did you look far down into the intake? did it look like this? http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=309401

if it did..... it needs to come off and get cleaned. I removed the intake used a ratchet strap to tie it down to an old rim and tire then I used a pressure washer to get that stuff out.

Crankous

Veteran Member
TDI
sorry read your original post.... says you already cleaned it.

tfs6

TDI
98 VW Beetle TDI
Yea I cleaned it but its getting bad again after only a month I.need to fix this oil in the pcv first then ill clean it again

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
I'd check for oil in the intercooler. If a bunch of oil comes out you might have a turbo gone bad.

A good friend bought an '04 that was down on power. About a quart of oil drained from the intercooler. This what his turbo looked like:

tfs6

TDI
98 VW Beetle TDI
Wow that's rough yea I checked all that like I said above I checked everything from the air box to the intake and a few other things including all sensors this weekend I will probably take the valve cover off and see if there's anything wrong with the valves springs or lifters I've heard of the lifters going bad on those