Closed Loop Combustion

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
If the military is using fuels (JP-8) that are known to have lower energy content than diesel fuel, they can fix that problem by increasing fuel injected. I don't know why different injectors or an aftermarket engine controller is needed.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Lots of pretty graphics. Out of that, no idea what they are proposing. Fuel variances can be handled with existing engine control systems. No need for another box.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Every engine controller in existance currently being mass produced is a closed loop controller. But really, the objective of closed loop control is directed toward emissions control, not power output. And closed loop control merely means the computer checks the output of the controlled system to direct input changes.

The power output part of the equation is easy - driver senses truck is slowing down, driver presses down with right foot, power produced by engine goes up, truck speeds up.

Easy.

01greenjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta automatic
This controller is a lot faster and more powerful than most, and it eliminates the need for an injection pump. Getting the same power from biodiesel as petrodiesel is an amazing feat. I like this company because of their digital valve technology too, controlling the fuel and the air takes closed loop to the next level.

http://www.jgpress.com/archives/_free/002422.html

Excerpt from the above article,

"For example, the company has converted a Volkswagen Jetta engine in its Woodland Park facility to be “more flexible and more intelligent,” says Sturman. “We removed the mechanical camshaft and the fuel injector and programmed the microprocessor to send instructions to the digital valves so we can open and close other valves that control the fuel, the air and the exhaust based on the program that the microprocessor is executing. Essentially, we’ve removed the mechanical controls that limit the performance, but kept the engine itself the same. This research, along with work we have done on other automotive, truck and stationary engines, proves that retrofits of existing engines are possible.”

No Injection Pump, no Timing Belt. Now that's a TDI everyone could love. This could be a solution to the high pressures associated with Common Rail motors too. Also it can turn 12,000 rpm, how fast would your car go at 12,000 rpm?

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
the "digital injector" is just like a normal common-rail injector. Hydraulic amplification of a small electrical signal.

what injection pressure does this engine run at, and how is this pressure created without an injection pump?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
You can get get MORE power out of biodiesel than petrodiesel. There is no need to invest in anything but the biodiesel.
From about 1800 to 2400 rpm B100 makes more power than petrodiesel from 1800 to 2400. Since most of my driving is in those ranges that's of more importance to me than the fact that from 3000 to red-line biodiesel makes less power than petrodiesel.
Yes, I've dyno tested back to back (a-b-b-a) to prove that to myself.

How "fast" would the car be if the engine were spinning 6 times faster? That depends on the torque it makes at those engine speeds.
Now, how FAR would the car be able to go? About 1/6th as far before it wears itself out.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
12k rpms isn't real useful on the street. For the very few engines that can turn that fast (e.g. some crotch rocket motorcycles), I'll bet if you logged one of them, you would find that a very low percentage of the time is spent above even 5k rpms, and those times probably coincide with extra legal driving activities.

So what is the benefit to such a retrofit besides rpms that will blow the bottom end apart (assuming the claims pan out:rolleyes:)? And what are the costs? And what kind of warranty... oops, you are your own warranty on this.

OK, so do it and let us know how it all turns out. Take pictures; it should be entertaining at the very least. :eek:

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
The only interesting thing that seems revolutionary is the camless engine. However, they speak a bunch of junk on that too:

"According to a 2010 presentation by Sturman Industries at an Ethanol Summit, the digital HVA eliminates throttling losses"

Lol, or maybe they meant when it was used in an engine that requires stoich, like gasoline/natural gas.