Mk7 Common issues and resolutions

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Purpose of this thread is to inform other mk7 owners of issues they've discovered and what has been done to resolve that issue if anything.
Please feel free to comment and add your issues as well.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
One I've noticed is the fuel door on the car is a completely different shade of black than the rest of the car and sticks out like a sore thumb. Will have this addressed when it goes for service and report back.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
Leaking rear window wash nozzle after use. It dribbles.
Front drivers side wiper doesn't make full contact on the down stroke.

Haven't taken these into the dealer yet.

Chris

hankster88

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 MK7 Golf TDI S 6M-Sold
Leaking rear window nozzle. Dealer inspected and is ordering new nozzle per bulletin.

Going along with the nozzle, mine was the first 15 TDI the service dept has seen and as such all of the techs came over to ogle it and prod under the hood.

hankster88

Veteran Member
TDI
Right... But what should have taken 15 minutes for the diagnosis and looking up the fix ended up taking an hour and a half. But hey i got a free carwash and VW hat out of the deal.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
Leaking rear window nozzle. Dealer inspected and is ordering new nozzle per bulletin.
Going along with the nozzle, mine was the first 15 TDI the service dept has seen and as such all of the techs came over to ogle it and prod under the hood.
Anyone have the bulletin number?
Found it.
Tech tip TT-92-14-04

Last edited:

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
One I've noticed is the fuel door on the car is a completely different shade of black than the rest of the car and sticks out like a sore thumb. Will have this addressed when it goes for service and report back.
Update; Dealer has agreed to order a new fuel door and color match it .
After informing them of the issue they have now looked at all he mk7 colors and noticed they all don't match the body panel, silver being the worst aparently.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Sticky thread. Let's keep this about problems and resolutions. If you need to discuss a particular problem in depth, please do so in a new thread so that this one doesn't get diluted with random discussion. :)

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
Overhead 'vanity' light on driver side does not work.

I'm assuming a fix would require removing the headliner?! Maybe I shouldn't mention it. I can live without a light that I would never use, but don't need any squeaks from a reinstalled headliner.

Editted 3/23/15:
I can also report that my malfunctioning vanity light was user error.

You have to open the mirror slide AND (emphasis) have the mirror facing your face. If you push the visor fully out (mirror facing lap), it shuts the light off.

Last edited:

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
iPod connection wasn't working correctly with my iphone 5s. Dealer redid a programming of some kind which fixed it... for 1 day. Resolution? Convince Telus to give me a 6 instead ;)

Trunk light isn't working - no resolution yet - i've got a bulb that i'll try in the next few days - will post the resolution

Ben Carufel

TDI
2010 JSW, 2015 Golf
I'm assuming a fix would require removing the headliner?! Maybe I shouldn't mention it. I can live without a light that I would never use, but don't need any squeaks from a reinstalled headliner.
My vanity light (under the visor) didn't work either, but once I opened the visor and slid it all the way over (it slides left-to-right on its mount) the first time, it started working.

hankster88

Veteran Member
TDI

I believe the intended design of this is to only turn on when the visor is down and mirror is open. Both sides of my S functions this way and don't see why they would turn the light on when you are trying to reduce sun/glare.

Michael

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
I believe the intended design of this is to only turn on when the visor is down and mirror is open. Both sides of my S functions this way and don't see why they would turn the light on when you are trying to reduce sun/glare.

Michael
thank you for explaining that which should not need to be explained.

Ben Carufel

TDI
2010 JSW, 2015 Golf
thank you for explaining that which should not need to be explained.
I would have to assume that the previous poster knows that it's only supposed to be on when the mirror is slid open.

Perhaps I should have been more clear...the vanity light in my 2015 Golf TDI SE didn't work when the mirror was opened, UNTIL I slid the visor all the way out to the fully "extended" position...at which point it immediately started working properly (and has continued to do so).

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man

Michael
Yes, the passenger side turns on when the mirror is open, but the driver side does not.

Callipygian

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL manual
Issue:
Missing fastener on the passenger side mid section of the underpanel so it was hanging down. Noticed within 500 mi of taking delivery.

Resolution:
Waited 2.5 hours at dealership for them to say they can't get these clips without ordering the entire panel so they're going to just use a nut and washer.

Awesome, brand new car already jerry rigged with its first bandaid. Not the best first impression of a car company.

TDI-rex

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S DSG
Awesome, brand new car already jerry rigged with its first bandaid. Not the best first impression of a car company.
I don't think that is the first impression VW wants you to have, either. Sounds like your dealership dropped the ball on this one to me - the missing fastener is a factory defect and warranty work should be charged to the factory. The dealership should not have any concern whether they have to order you one fastener or an entire panel to fix it correctly.

I'd ask the dealership again to fix it correctly. If they don't, VW of America customer service would probably get involved.

kensic

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
Issue:
Missing fastener on the passenger side mid section of the underpanel so it was hanging down. Noticed within 500 mi of taking delivery.

Resolution:
Waited 2.5 hours at dealership for them to say they can't get these clips without ordering the entire panel so they're going to just use a nut and washer.

then they should have replaced the whole panel. I would have sat my ass there and talked to the highest personnel there till they do it correctly.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
the nut and washer would have been an acceptable short term fix to keep you on the road, but, only while they are waiting for the panel to come in.

Callipygian

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL manual
I had gone in during a snowstorm, I was most interested in getting the panel secure before it got marred up hanging down into half a foot of snow everywhere, but I think you guys are correct. I just hate being that guy, but I guess they're going to push me to get it resolved properly by being a squeaky wheel. Maybe I can get them to agree to have whatever parts ready to replace it at my 10000mi service. I don't have much time to sit around while my car gets tinkered with....which is sorta why I bought a new car....

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
I had gone in during a snowstorm, I was most interested in getting the panel secure before it got marred up hanging down into half a foot of snow everywhere, but I think you guys are correct. I just hate being that guy, but I guess they're going to push me to get it resolved properly by being a squeaky wheel. Maybe I can get them to agree to have whatever parts ready to replace it at my 10000mi service. I don't have much time to sit around while my car gets tinkered with....which is sorta why I bought a new car....
Be that guy. I had an issue with my WRX that had 100k miles on it. An intake hose was improperly reinstalled on my car after service, and I relocated to a new timezone shortly thereafter. Was unable to have the dealer fix it, and they (the dealer) said the only remedy was to let them do the repair (1500 miles away). I contacted Subaru and they offered to cut me a check for the $750 repairs before the dealer was able to return their call. Granted I had photo evidence, but they even threw in a WRC Blue grocery bag.

As for common issues, I have noticed the sticker on the muffler is peeling and hanging off a lot of new TDIs. Better get mine fixed asap ;)

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In the past month this has happened 3 times.

At or about the current temperature (0°C) the first attempt to start AFTER go cycle the engine continues to crank with no full being injected for about 5 seconds then starts. There's no rough idle or shaking but even if I let go of the key it continues to crank, I'm thinking the starter is on a relay and cranks until it starts.
Annoying and concerning but I dread to think this could be the start of the continuation of the mk6 intercooler issue which was supposed to have been addressed with the water cooled intercooler.
Will monitor for a while and report back.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
Be that guy. I had an issue with my WRX that had 100k miles on it. An intake hose was improperly reinstalled on my car after service, and I relocated to a new timezone shortly thereafter. Was unable to have the dealer fix it, and they (the dealer) said the only remedy was to let them do the repair (1500 miles away). I contacted Subaru and they offered to cut me a check for the $750 repairs before the dealer was able to return their call. Granted I had photo evidence, but they even threw in a WRC Blue grocery bag.

As for common issues, I have noticed the sticker on the muffler is peeling and hanging off a lot of new TDIs. Better get mine fixed asap ;)

Mine is too! is there a TSB out for this yet???

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Im thinking about getting a Golf....so I reading this I can assume ya'll not having any squeeking/cracking/popping interior noises like the 11-12 Jetta's?

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
Im thinking about getting a Golf....so I reading this I can assume ya'll not having any squeeking/cracking/popping interior noises like the 11-12 Jetta's?
after 2100 miles its solid as a rock with nary a squeak rattle or rub to be found.