Water in the spare tire well?

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
My friend golf R blew out a tire on the wonderfull Montreal road, so I decided to lend him my spare wheel so he can crawl home.

While doing so, I noticed my tire well has some serious amount of frozen water...

Yes I have the pano roof, it has been fixed by VW (drain cap removed)

Any idea what it can be? No abnormal humidity in the car whatsoever....

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Residual from pre-repair leak? That's very little water. When the rear drain tubes back up, you'll get a swimming pool back there.

If you haven't already, visually verify both caps were actually removed and that there's no dirt inside the tubes openings. As an extra step, you can get yourself some 1/8" bulk speedo (inner) cable (works better than weed whacker line) and run it up from the bottom until it appears along the sunroof frame.

You'll find that there will be two big black foam noise/vibration blockers located above the wheel wells that will also be water-logged, acting like sponges and continuing to drip water into the spare well until they are dry. Both can be accessed through the rear side panel access doors.

To completely dry the spare well soft trim, you'll have to remove it which involves removing the hatch threshold trim panel. When you do that, you'll discover where the factory installed your options code sticker!

Last edited:

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
That's what I would like to believe, residual water...
Anyways it's minus 5 today, I menaged to lift the carpet and dry everything. I'll check everything after a few day of rain/carwash.

Finger crossed.

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
Residual from pre-repair leak? That's very little water. When the rear drain tubes back up, you'll get a swimming pool back there.
If you haven't already, visually verify both caps were actually removed and that there's no dirt inside the tubes openings. As an extra step, you can get yourself some 1/8" bulk speedo (inner) cable (works better than weed whacker line) and run it up from the bottom until it appears along the sunroof frame.
You'll find that there will be two big black foam noise/vibration blockers located above the wheel wells that will also be water-logged, acting like sponges and continuing to drip water into the spare well until they are dry. Both can be accessed through the rear side panel access doors.
To completely dry the spare well soft trim, you'll have to remove it which involves removing the hatch threshold trim panel. When you do that, you'll discover where the factory installed your options code sticker!
Great info...