Glow Plug Recall = Fried ECM

Medic92

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3
I was picking up my Touareg yesterday and I had a few hours to kill, so I had the steel glow plug recall performed on my Jetta. A few hours after my car deal was finished, the technicians were still on the line with VW technical support trying to get the software loaded on the ECM. The end result was a fried ECM, so I have no daily driver for now. Has anyone else had any similar problems? Also, do you think the VWoA will find the Rocketchip tune on the ECM when it is sent back?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The VAG reflash setup has had a lot of issues. Apperently they no longer load flash files from a local server, everything is coming straight from Wolfsburg. And if there is a problem halfway through, the ECU cannot be salvaged (the way they do it).

Other car companies are similar, except they have the common sense to allow the entire flash file to be downloaded on to the equipment that is directly attached to the car. So many potential problems can be eliminated.

This is why flashing a Volkswagen takes so long, but flashing a Ford takes all of 3 minutes.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Didn't they used to distribute the files on CD? I don't understand why they would go to a system that has to download the file each time. :confused: 45 min to flash an eprom is silly :eek:

oilhammer

TDI
compu_85 said:
Didn't they used to distribute the files on CD? I don't understand why they would go to a system that has to download the file each time. :confused: 45 min to flash an eprom is silly :eek:
This is Volkswagen we are talking about here. You should know as well as I do that they do silly things. Why does a B5.5 have a totally different front wiring harness just for fog lamps when every other car company would just use the same harness and have the plugs for fog lamps hanging neatly out of the way if the car was not equipped with the lights? :eek:

Why does Volkswagen change the part numbers on things for no other reason other than to change the part numbers? :cool:

We could go on and on.... :)

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
Mine didn't fry, but because of my RC1 tune they couldn't do it after multiple attempts. I just had them put the steel plugs in and I drove straight to Jeff's. He fixed it up and I was on my way.

oilhammer

TDI
oEo said:
Mine didn't fry, but because of my RC1 tune they couldn't do it after multiple attempts. I just had them put the steel plugs in and I drove straight to Jeff's. He fixed it up and I was on my way.
I never even let them touch mine. I had a professional install the plugs, and had Jeff do his magic. :D

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
oilhammer said:
I never even let them touch mine. I had a professional install the plugs, and had Jeff do his magic. :D
Yeah, well if you weren't in St Louis... :D

Medic92

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3
oEo said:
That was my plan after they couldn't get the new programming on. I was just going to unplug the glow plug harness and be on my way. Unfortunately, the ECM was already gone. I have a couple of things that I need done to the Touareg anyway. So I will have those punch list items completed when I pick up my old car. The dealership, by the way, was very apologetic and offered me a loaner car even though they knew that the T-Reg was my third car. This is the 180 degree opposite of my previous experience with my local dealer.

Medic92

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3
40X40 said:
Well, why not call RC and ask him..

Bill
Jeff is a great guy, but he is not the easiest to get a hold of. Plus I know he is probably already looking at this thread.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I had a reflash performed a few years ago when I had a thermostically controlled transmission coolant hose installed. This was strictly a volunteer type of TSB and the reflash, IIRC, was only for cars with a manual transmission and mine is an automatic. The service writer informed me that the ECU had to be replaced which I guess means that the OEM was fried. I went back a few days later because the car didn't seem right, but the tech finally got it right.
The TSB was to make the car warm up faster in the Winter, but the whole ordeal was a waste of time as I could not see any improvement. In fact I think mine may have been the first for this particular TSB at this particular dealership.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
They fried my ECU also.

Need to get it RC1'd again...wish Jeff was easier to get hold of. Not fond of the way it drives with the new tune. I think it sux.

Medic92

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3
mannytranny said:
They fried my ECU also.

Need to get it RC1'd again...wish Jeff was easier to get hold of. Not fond of the way it drives with the new tune. I think it sux.
I'm glad it wasn't just me.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Proffesional

oilhammer said:
I never even let them touch mine. I had a professional install the plugs, and had Jeff do his magic.
And might that professional be you oilhammer?:D

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
In another post I think Oilhammer said he installed the plugs. He's just being modest here.;)

--Nate