BEW warm engine limp mode *SOLVED*

Mapachurro

TDI
2004 BEW Golf GLS
Hey everyone,

I'm happy to report that thanks to this forum and others, my Bentley, a friend who knows about electricity, and a lot of patience, I've solved an odd, persistent limp mode issue.

The basics/background:

2004 BEW Golf, ~280k on the body, ~160k on the engine. Put on a VNT-17 in January 2019, a VR6 clutch, 3bar MAP and Stage 4 Malone tune in July.

I had a couple of CELs after the clutch swap/tune, and from the moment I tuned it, I had awesome boost until the engine warmed up, at which point it would go limp and roll coal like a freight train. In particular, once warm, if I came to a stop, the engine note would change, get much deeper, and I'd be in limp mode. Every once in a while I'd get an unexpected boost spike. If I turned off the engine or cleared codes, I would get boost back -- until the next time I came to a stop. So, first step, I figured, was get rid of the CELs:

CELs/codes fixed:
-reinstalled O2 sensor after new cat install
-speedometer sensor (G22) and speedometer sensor fuse

I had the whole system professionally boost leak tested in Dec. 2018.

After fixing the CELs, same symptoms. Awesome boost and then limp rolling coal. Next step? MAF seemed to be going. So...

-Replaced MAF sensor.

Same limp mode symptoms, but now the boost spiked less and no coal. Next step:

-Check vacuum lines. Everything seems kosher. The EGR has been tuned out, so I redo the vacuum lines so that they only go to the N75 and the turbo. The hard brake line is giving 25" on my mityvac bang on the money, but no leaks. Next step:

-Adjust turbo actuator, previously began to move at 2-3" and ended at 15". Adjusted to 4"-18".

Same symptoms, but smoother, better boost. Next step:

-Unbolt downpipe, spray that bad boy full of oven cleaner, cycle the actuator, wait, etc. After a couple of hours, I heat up the engine and blow a huge blob of carbon out my tailpipe onto the driveway at 5000rpm.

...same limp mode symptoms, but more turbo whistle :) So. At this point I'm thinking through the symptoms, and about the parts of the system I haven't touched yet -- including the N75 that might be factory original. It occurs to me that the N75 has three ports -- vacuum in, vacuum out, and... Vent. As in, vents when you slow down to a stop? I imagine? Like, when I stop it vents all the vacuum and gets stuck in that position once it gets warm? Next step:

-Pop off the vacuum line into the vent port on the N75, give it a spray of WD-40.

Solved. 22+psi boost peaks and plenty of sustained power throughout the proper range. I'm following the instructions about shifting at 2400/3000+ and loving my stupid fast 15 year old car.

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Thanks for the following up [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
..........................................................-Pop off the vacuum line into the vent port on the N75, give it a spray of WD-40.

Solved. 22+psi boost peaks and plenty of sustained power throughout the proper range. ......................
WOW! Now that's a Top Tip.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
-Pop off the vacuum line into the vent port on the N75, give it a spray of WD-40.
Solved. 22+psi boost peaks and plenty of sustained power throughout the proper range. I'm following the instructions about shifting at 2400/3000+ and loving my stupid fast 15 year old car.
Glad you got it fixed & posted the resolution.

I find this interesting.
I've done the same a few times and saw some results, but I don't recall it lasting that long and I did have occasional limp mode on one (iIrc) long incline going to work in the AM.

When it acted up more often I replaced the valve & it was much better.
I did finally lengthen the activator rod a turn or two to fix it.

Please follow up with longer term results.

Mapachurro

TDI
2004 BEW Golf GLS
Re: long term follow up: yeah, I'm planning on it. I'm happy with the results and I drove it hard all week with no problems (so awesome to finally fully enjoy my setup!), but I'm aware of how fickle this system can be. Let's just say I'm still riding with gloves, various pliers and a few wrenches just in case...

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I always have a small Sears tool kit in the cars I have.
You never know what may happen.

Mapachurro

TDI
2004 BEW Golf GLS
Hey all,

Follow up time.

So after a few weeks of around town driving with it working well, I drove from Cleveland to DC, through the Appalachian mountains. Basically, by the time I got two thirds or so up a hill (mountain), the boost would give out. Generally I didn't get a code, but a few times I got a powertrain related code and a MAF (P0101? I think), which was odd, as I recently replaced the MAF sensor.

I got back home, squirted more oil in, but no dice. It was no longer reliable. Some days it would work fine, others I would lose boost like I used to, once the engine warmed up, and almost always I would have some hesitation when starting from stopped.

So I bought a new N75, a quality one from idparts, and installed it about a week ago. I've only driven around town, but I've put it through its paces with absolutely zero hesitation, zero CELs, everything exactly as you want it to be.

Hopefully this is the last long term follow up I post on this one...

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
The N75 gets clogged up with debris sucked in from a failing VNT actuator. I tried to clean mine, but decided to replace it after changing my failed actuator. The actuator was completely rusted out from within.