Passat w8 vs B7 A4 >>> 3.0 cr tdi swap

Machineman

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 RS4 Titanium 3.0TDI & 2013 Touareg TDI & B6 S4 BHW Swap Biturbo
hey guys i wanted some advice i picked up a complete 3.0 v6 tdi from a touareg for a good price i want some insight on what to put it in i currently have a passat w8 swaped to 4cyl pd with a 6 speed manual i have really wanted a v6 tdi for years i understand that this engine was never installed in b5.5 passat but due to the fact it share the same engine mounts as a b7 mounting the engine shouldn't be a problem my concern is wiring but the fact that the 3.0tdi in Europe runs edc16 i was thinking there might be hope in it working given my current 4pot pd runs edc 16
Being that the 3.0tdi was a option in the b7 that may be a better route but im not sure ....

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
First things first, a tuner needs to delete the immobilizer out of the ECU for the V6. Different generations of immo are not going to talk nice to eachother.

Another thing that tends to be a concern is that the ECM on newer vehicles picks up the vehicle speed from the CAN bus. Your B5.5 is wired for a more manual approach with a speedo signal coming from the transmission to the engine computer and cluster directly.

Not sure if the older ABS units broadcast the vehicle speed via CAN bus at all. If not, there may be a way to re-code the ECM to receive the speed signal in a more conventional matter, but then the question is, which pins on the ECM would that be so you could wire it up? Wiring diagrams aren't going to show you that. You'd have to find someone more intimately familiar with the ECM specifically.

Also, what transmission would you use and how are you going to get the ECM to cooperate? I'd love to do a similar swap into an older C5 generation Allroad. But there's a lot of details that make me pause and wonder how to go about solving all the little issues.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Yep running into a few of those issues with my BHW from a 2004 Passat into a 2000 A6. In retrospect it would have been better to use a 2002-2004 Audi A6 as they use the CAN system to talk to various components. The 2000 A6 uses a mix of CAN and direct inputs.