will passat seats fit into a jetta?

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
locally on craigslist, there is a 2003 passat with black leather seats for sale, does anyone know if these seats would swap over to my 2001 jetta sedan? if not, what model seats will swap over? i am a mechanic and these cloth seats in my car will be trashed soon if i dont do something, and really like leather seats for the durability of them

spartan

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
I believe that modifications would need to be made to get them to fit. I think you have to swap the base of your seats onto the passat seats.

CameraJack

TDI
mk4 PD130 Golf Estate
Did you do it? I have cloth seats in 11 jetta and can get leather from a passat.
No, Passat seats will not fit without modification. The Passat is on a similar platform to the Audi A6, so C5 A6 seats will fit a B5/B5.5 Passat. I think the Audi A4 uses the same seat rails, so a B5 A4 would be interchangeable with a C5 A5 and a B5 Passat.

The only seats that will drop in to a mk4 (A4) Golf would be from an 8L Audi A3,a 1M Seat Leon, or a 1U Skoda Octavia.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
I just did this - I put similar year Passat seats in a MK4 Golf. The only thing that is really different is the bottom frame that goes into the car slides. The Passat is just a little wider at the wheel rollers. This frame can be changed without too much work. Just pull the pins, pull the motor on the seat back (under spring load) and swap it out. Change over the electric back an forward motor and drive, change over the seat belt attachment and it is good to go. My only problem now is converting the wires to make the motors run right but the Passat seat is identical except for the very bottom frame. With these cars getting old and the seats rotting out, I am finding we have to be creative to keep them going and look good. The car had trashed out cloth seats that smelled and all greasy. Now it looks almost new. The Passats have higher end leather so I think it may hold up better or the cars just don't have that many miles before they hit the junk yard with a bad transmission. Maybe someone out there can tell me a way to fire up the control module that is located in the seat base. This Passat ran on the Can Buss system so I don't think it will work. My son has the same looking seat in his car from a GLI and that seat didn't have the can bus module in it. All I had to do was hot wire the seat and everything works but the memory.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
For the record, You can pull the upholstery all off the Passat seats and swap that over but the back is a real pain and very difficult. The bottom is easy.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
My mistake on the wiring. All that needs to run the power seat is 2 wires - Red/Blue for positive and Brown for Negative/Ground located on the plug in that goes out to the car. The small wires for the can bus are only needed for the memory function I believe. I was trying to run the seat off a battery charger. The strange thing is the charger would run direct one motor at a time but not fire up the module to make the switches work. Perhaps it didn't like the coverted A/C to D/C? Once I connected the battery up the seat works fine (with no memory functions).