VW RELIABILITY LAGS

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
News Flash! Volkswagen ranked 33rd out of 37 automakers for most problems in first 90 days of ownership, accordind to the respected J.D. Powers survey. The VW JETTA was the 4th most troublsome car, surpassed in headaches only by a trio of Hyundais, Kias, and Suzukis. The Jetta, on average, was 48% more troublsome than the average MAZDA, and was beaten out in reliability by the lowly Kia Sephia. VW = Quality?

ThinkDiesel

Veteran Member
Hmm.. not to hot, eh? Well I guess I got one of the good ones--- not a single problem in 9 months and 10,000 miles.

Although this news isn't great-- keep in mind the parameters of that survey. As far as problems go-- they make NO distinction for severity or nature of "a problem!"

Therefore, for example, according to their faulty logic:

2 transmission failures per 1000 Chevy's

VERSUS

5 broken cupholders per 1000 Volkswagen's

EQUALS VW is less reliable than Chevy!!!

Does that make sense to you?

It's not a sound survey method at all. It's incomplete. You'll find that Consumer Reports is much much more credible in this area. They break down the relibility into categories--- ie: transmission, hardware, electrical, brakes etc... without the categories the information is almost useless.

Let's not forget the illustrious JD Power and Associates also ranked 3 Volkswagens as the most desireable new car in their respective catagories.

If you really want to know how VW stacks up, go to Barnes and Noble and pick up the Consumer Reports New Car Guide and flip to the Volkswagen page.

------------------
Ryan

1999.5 Jetta GL TDI- 5 sp

"Volkswagen TDI -- Die beste oder nichts"

KO

Veteran Member
Problems with my new Jetta in the first 10 months:

Right front brake caliper cracked and fell apart.

Windows and dash rattles/squeaks loudly.

Tires cupped and had to be replaced.

Front and rear window glass has really bad mold imperfections.

My fuel door hangs open because the accuator froze up. Not to good for something cycled what thirty times?

The radio doesn't have reception worth a darn.

The air bag module in the passenger seat rattles.

VW doesn't pay for an alignment during the warranty period.

These are some of the things that sort of chafe me, but I like the car okay, I guess. It sure is a pretty little thing

ThinkDiesel

Veteran Member
Good Greif! Sure does sound like you've had some bad luck...

I assume you had the GoodYears, since I haven't heard a single case of the Michelin's cupping...

Can you explain these:

"Front and rear window glass has really bad mold imperfections."

What does that mean exactly? Im not sure I follow...

"The radio doesn't have reception worth a darn."

Bad reception compared to what? Has the dealer looked at the antenna etc.. Resolved this issue to your satisfaction?

"VW doesn't pay for an alignment during the warranty period."

They should have done this for you after the tire incident...but I dont think it is a standard part of most warranties...

Heinz57

Veteran Member
First 3 weeks and 2400 miles

1) fuel leak resulting in new engine cover and insulation after leaking extensively onto driveway
2) mysterious item fell out of bottom of car and cant be identified by dealer(a rubber stop)
3) today the handle for the glove compartment fell of onto my hand
4) discoverd paint chip when I took delivery and it took (2) tries to correct it
5) Key ring keeps seperating from key and key goes flying
6) seat lever to move seat for rear passenger fell off - retainer clip dissapeared
7) slight water leak above driver door
8) who knows about tomorrow

I purchase a new vehicle every 4 years and they have mostly been Japanese. Up to this point this has been the worst vehicle I have ever bought in regards to reliability. It makes me ashamed to be German especially since this is my first german vehicle!!

[This message has been edited by Heinz57 (edited May 14, 2000).]

sadawert

Same here
1.auto trans leak
2. cruise control replaced
3. pass. door trim replaced
4.back washer replaced
5.stearing wheel replaced
6.soon to be driver door trim.
man this really sucks, a new car with many more problems to come I fear. Oh, and the dealer and service really is far from par.

M

mickey

'99 NB, 55,000 miles. Problems so far: ....Well...I'll let you know when I have one.

Really! The most perfect, flawless new car I've ever seen or hear of. I was born lucky, I guess.

-mickey

p.s. Well, OK, there was that air leak in the top of the fuel filter. Cost me nothing to fix. Other than that, though, it's been perfect.

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
33rd of 37 sounds crummy, but that may actually be an improvement for VW. I remember reading a couple years ago of a build-quality survey, where VW was second-worst, with Chrysler taking worst place. I don't know how many makes were represented in that survey.

jmclain

Veteran Member
JD Power is one of those firms who tells people what they want to hear. It's all about marketing. Don't believe a word they say.

Consumer Reports is a much better source, I agree.

Almost 8K miles, not one problem whatsoever. But don't forget, people, that EVERY car maker has to deal with a defect rate. No line is perfect. Sometimes you just get a lemon. (Happened to me; my 1987 Olds was in the shop for the first three months of its life
) It just happens. I was fortunate this time - my Jetta is as perfect as a car can be so far.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
My only complaint with my family's 2 VWs (8K and 5K) so far has been the soft windshields--they get scatched way too easily. This seems to be a design flaw, not a reliability problem.

------------------
Rob
2000 Golf GLS TDI (K&N, MAF & airbox screens removed)
2000 Passat GLS Variant 1.8T (K&N)

S

SkyPup

98 NB TDI, not one single problem.

99 JETTA TDI, not one single problem.

Guess I drive 'em too hard for the problems to catch up, leaving them all in the dust.

Simply two of the most fun cars I've ever had.

DQ

I agree with the windshields. After the past winter, my windshield is full of large scratches, and this is with a new plastic scraper. This never happened to me with other car makes. Also, a tiny stone chip has caused the windshield to crack at the bottom.

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg
Mickey: My NB has no problems (through I am only approaching 5000 miles). CarolinaGolf was kind enough to resolder my relay 109 as a precautionary measure. Only problem is I keep droping small parts and tools. I'll do an oil change in a few weeks and retrieve them.

The various VW cars are built in factories in various countries. The NBs are made in Mexico.

I am curious about the reliability based on model type.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I got bitten by the infamous B4 Passat instrument panel power supply, but that has been the only problem in one year and 40,000 km.

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI

Tom Kuc

Veteran Member
I also must be lucky, our A4 Jetta, 5 sp, has been one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned. Over 40k in just nine months and not a single mechanical problem, not one. The engine doesn't use any oil and fuel mileage is incredible, worst 54mpg, best 64mpg, and an average of 60mpg +/-.
Perfect no, the glass and radio could be much better, the car is way too low and there is an occasional squeak and or rattle. But for around $17,300 US I feel I got one great (and safe!) car. What we really don't understand is why they aren't much more popular.

Jeff Strachan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
You guys are scaring me. 6 months and 6000 miles and just a little buzz from the passenger door. No leaks, no parts falling off, nothing else.

I love this car.

------------------
Jeff
'00 Golf GL TDI 5 speed

BillsVW

JD Powers is an over rated publicity machine. Consumer Reports said in 1999 that my 1998 Golf GL gasser was more reliable than a 1998 Lexus LS400. The only problems I've had in 35k miles are rattles.

My TDI has1,100 miles and no problems.

Switca

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
1.083 years, 24K miles on an A4 Jetta GL, 5 speed (a manly man's car):

Replaced rear tweeter (became a buzzer).
Replaced PVC valve and had to have the intercooler cleaned.
Normal filters and fluids

------------------
Gregor Switca

Torque is a beautiful thing

grebe

Bug #1 - 1999 TDI

- Drivers window wouldn't go all the way up. Repaired window regulator.
- Engine light. Replaced glow-plug relay.
- Rear-view mirror vibrated at highway speed. Replaced.
- Glove compartment door latch broke. Replaced door.
- Passenger headlight couldn't be adjusted. Replaced headlight assembly.
- Shifter boot torn (from factory). Replaced.
- Shifter vibration in 1st & 3rd gear. Replaced housing and adjuster per tech bulletin. (better, but still vibrates)

Bug #2 1999 Gas (daughter's car)
- Cruise control non-functional at delivery. Replaced switch assembly.
- Engine light. Replace O2 sensor.
- Engine light (3 months later). Replaced O2 sensor again.
- Glove compartment latch broke. Replaced
- Passenger window regulator broke (window stuck open). Replaced regulator and cables.

Everyone of these problems took 2 dealer vists to get fixed. First visit to diagnose and order part, second visit to replace part. Very frustrating!

------------------

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg
Switca - You replaced the PCV valve???
Our PCV valves on our TDIs consist of nothing more than a fancy hollow piece of plastic with no mechanism inside of it.

However VW did make it into a kewl shape!

[This message has been edited by HowardZ (edited May 15, 2000).]

gamaf

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI GLS Bright Green
00 Jetta GLS TDI 39,500 kilometers, 2percent of it on dirt roads, 20 percent on fairly rough paved roads. Only/Only problem, actually only an annoyance is an occasional, intermittent buzz from the sunroof. I run well above the speed limit and usually have at least one passenger aboard. Very happy with this car so far.

murraywest

Veteran Member
I had a rattle in the right from pillar, so I stuck/pushed a rubberband up in there, and the rattle went away.

The point is... its how you handle situations. I could have got mad, took the car in and complained, but the first line of defense in my personal happiness is my own reaction to situations. I choose to be happy with the car... rubber band in the front pillar and all.

chance

Veteran Member
2 1/2 years 35000 miles no problems. only once when i used bardal cetane booster in the red bottle. it seemed like i had a 0 ring problem. used the fuel up and no more problem.i won't us that stuff again only power service stuff

Switca

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HowardZ:
Switca - You replaced the PCV valve???

[This message has been edited by HowardZ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I noticed drops of oil on the right side of the car. I took it back to the dealer, they said it was "sensor" in the PCV that went bad and it was sucking oil. They replaced it, flushed the inter cooler.

Sensor in the PCV? No, I did not push the issue.

KO

Veteran Member
The windshield, and the back glass have peaks and valleys in them. I didn't notice until I washed them myself. The optical clarity of most auto glass is distorted so I thought no big deal until I washed them from the outside. It is so bad on the passenger side in front that the wiper doesn't even touch in a spot about 12".

And the windows and doors creak when I take off from a stop, or shift at low speed. Like its flexing or something.

Don't get me wrong I am really happy with the car. I think it is certainly a great value. I think the overall fit and finish exceeds most cars I have owned, it just has some overlooked blemishes. I have no regrets about the purchase. It feels more solid than most cars I have owned.

Yes, I did have the Goodyear Eagle RS tires.

I too, really like the safety rating of my Jetta. Most cars larger than my Jetta don't have a five star crash test rating.

I look forward to driving this car for many years.
Isn't driving a diesel great?

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
All: I hate to bring up the glories of NAFTA, but VW's overall reliability was better than the Jetta/New Beetle problem rate. It appears the Mexico built cars are dragging down the Passat and Golf numbers, but then again these are very general statistics. P.S. Consumer Reports, which DOES differentiate between major and minor problems, was not enthralled by the N.B.'s reliability.