My New Project Car TDI wagon

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
The car is in the shop getting an "enhanced inspection" So I can register and drive it. Fingers crossed that it passes......IT BETTER! all the work I put into it!

KCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg
You have done a beautiful job on converting this wagon to a 5-speed. Congratulations! Hope it will serve you well for many years to come, and it should, given the relatively low miles on the engine. I have a 2002 sedan, TDI, with an automatic. I bought a used manual tranny from a 2001 Beetle TDI at our local Pull-a-Part yard, with hopes of swapping the manual into the Jetta. Unfortunately, the Beetle was already parted out (engine and ECU) leaving only the tranny. Many of the bolts and nuts were removed, however, the tranny still had the sensors, slave cylinder, and shift tower and cables, clutch peddle and CV axles left behind. What suggestions do you have for such a project to start with before I dive into this work? Did you have to have someone help with removing the old tranny or installing the manual? or did you do it all by yourself? Would you have done anything different if you were do it over again? Many thanks for your input.
You'll need a shifter boot for a Jetta as the Beetle unit wont fit your Jetta console. I usually just get a new one off Ebay with a new knob and chrome bezel around the boot.
Also, take the four small screws and the square plastic part they hold from beneath your auto console opening before reinstalling.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
I just picked the car up..... It passed! Its plated and I drove it home! It feels great to have it all come together and actually work. It does not feel good to pay for the inspection and title transfer... PA fees are not fun. This brings my grand total to $3,031.50. And I still have the extra ALH engine and parts car to try to recoup some of that back. I will be keeping the engine but the rest of the car is up for grabs! Thanks again to all for the advice and tips!

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you Johnny, This was a fun project with some challenges. It was very different from my usual projects. Not much fabrication involved so that was nice. I have about 150 miles on it so far... Im excited to see what kind of economy I get with it. This is my first TDI. I did have to tear apart the rear brakes and fix a stuck caliper pin. The rear brake was dragging so I'm guessing my MPGs will be messed up for this tank. I'm not to thrilled with how much the fuel gauge has moved for only going 150 miles. But, The brake was dragging, the car has been sitting awhile and I dont know the condition of the fuel. It had a full tank when I bought it, but the PO hadnt driven it in awhile since the damage occurred and he bought it back from the ins co. I will top it off with fresh fuel and see how it does. It runs good and rides nice. I am very happy with it so far. I will post some updates as I drive more. :)

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Well Even with the dragging brake, old fuel, lots of time idling in the garage, and short trips I got 42.8 mpg. So now that i fixed the brakes, and will be making longer more regular trip on the highway for work I think I will see improvements on that number. But I am really happy with how its running so far.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Right now Im at 365 miles on this tank and it just hit the 1/2 mark. I'm pretty happy with that. Plus it has been in the teens every morning this week and the car started and got me to and from work everyday!

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
On the Golf I usually got 400 miles at half tank, ended up at 725-740ish when I filled, most often 40 miles after light came on. Averaged 47 to 50 mpg, last 200k that I drove the car (sitting in back yard now).
At least for a portion of every other use Drive the car like you stole it, VNT mechanism on the turbo responds well to regular cycling thru it its entire range of operation. No idea of your driving style but if you baby it or "take it easy for mileage efficiency" you'll loose in the end.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
filling up after a full tank it looks like I got 44mpg on this tank. I dont beat on the car but its very mountainous where I live so I use boost everyday whether I want to or not. I have a 5 miles of flat highway. the rest of my commute is big hills. usually 4th gear 2500-3000 rpm. then 2000 on the flat 4 lane.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Very impressive work and write-up! Thanks for this excellent contribution!

Ed ke6bnl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Jetta
What was the sequence of you pulling the motor, did you do it through the top?? I have a2002 tdi auto and auto is acting up and a 2003 tdi stick engine is bad. So I was interested in how to get the engine out of the 2002 and install in the 2003 stick. thanks ED

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Unless you have a lift, engine out the top. Engine swaps are easy enough for these little cars.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
I went out the top with my engine hoist... It wasnt bad or any different than pulling any other engine... My car hit a bridge so things were a little tighter than normal but still no real problems pulling the engine. I had the tranny off then engine when I pulled it. I dont know how it would have gone if the tranny was still attached. Ive done that with jeeps and trucks but dont think it would go well with these cars.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Is the injector swap worth doing? Also, would this require a tune?

2001 and 2003 ECUs aren't interchangeable. Even if they were, you'd have to have someone delete the immobilizer. You can swap the auto ECU to manual with VCDS.

If you want a small bump in power swap the injectors from the manual to the automatic. Autos have higher pressure injection pumps and smaller nozzles. The bigger ones will give you a bit more power. Buy a 3-bar MAP and you've got a poor man's tune.

Good to see someone bringing back another wagon.