Eurovan questions

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
200 Golf, 1974 Westfalia TDI
That looks like an alh pan with the drain moved the front. If that is all the difference a front drain is easy enough to add...
I think yall might be onto something.

This build has me confused.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=281794
which is also this build
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=86007

He states he used an AXB oil pan from a T5, it still sits at a funny angle, but worked for him.
Im about to get it to the point of bolting it onto an engine stand so I should know more about the angle with the stock ALH pan later today.
It would be great to have the stock one work.

Frans

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Golf MK2 TDI
Frans has been an unreliable parts source for me so I have decided to figure out ways to obtain parts from other sources. He hasn't told me which oil pan he has been selling to ALH T4 conversions, in our short emails. All I can speculate is he is busy making kits, but does not have time to sell parts.
I replied pricing, but no response? :confused:

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
Im sorry sir, I am ready to spend money right now and am getting disappointed with the lengthy time between our communications.

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, I just pulled the AGR(ALH) and it is sitting next to my ABL(AAZ) from a T4 from Germany. I am starting to think they only mounted the 4 cylinder diesel in there at the same angle as the 5cylinder gas motor out of convenience. I am toying with the idea of mating the TDI to the IDI T4 transmission and adding 4 new mounting ears so I can run the TDI at the same angle as the golf.
If mounting it at a different angle doesnt pan out, (get it pan... huhuhuhu) I will modify one of those hybrid steel/aluminum pans to work at the Eurovan angle.
Ill pull both the pans and take pictures in a bit! I love weird swaps that never happened at the factory!

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
Also the engine mount at the front of the engine where the accessories are, is very very close to the MK4 golf engine mount, so that looks like an easy bracket to make.

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry, didnt get any pics. Dont worry, I'll post up every bit of information I get as I go through this swap.
Its disappointing hard it is to find info on unconventional swaps, I guess its like alot of things in life, Once somebody finds out something that might make them money, they get stingy with the information, and keep it to themselves.

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI, 1993 Eurovan Weekender TDI(AHU) converted 2/2016, 93 Eurovan MV TDI(1z)(sold!)
Ok, I just pulled the AGR(ALH) and it is sitting next to my ABL(AAZ) from a T4 from Germany. I am starting to think they only mounted the 4 cylinder diesel in there at the same angle as the 5cylinder gas motor out of convenience. I am toying with the idea of mating the TDI to the IDI T4 transmission and adding 4 new mounting ears so I can run the TDI at the same angle as the golf.
If mounting it at a different angle doesnt pan out, (get it pan... huhuhuhu) I will modify one of those hybrid steel/aluminum pans to work at the Eurovan angle.
Ill pull both the pans and take pictures in a bit! I love weird swaps that never happened at the factory!
Not much room to rotate the engine back with the transmission in its proper location. Also, if you somehow managed to make use of the front mount, you would still need to support the passenger side of the engine as well.

Last edited:

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
I'm under the impression that the firewall was the determining factor for their decision to rotate the engine forward. All of the inline 4/5 engines installed in these were counterflow, so both the exhaust and intake manifolds rested up close to the firewall.

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
I guess rotating the engine was just a thought, it looks pretty easy to just cram it all in there.

I think keeping the turbo on top would be cool, plus the turbo from the ABL(AAZ) is a little bigger than my AGR (ALH).

I couldn't get a good shot of the pan, but it looks very similar, I got a Hybrid pan for the ALH to build one when I get them both apart.

You can see the oil cooler is different on the Eurovan IDI engine, I might run that one on the AGR.

Heres the accessory side mount.

Sorry about the lack of detail, but I'll post more as I get things taken apart.
http://s67.photobucket.com/user/archemitis/media/Eurovan%20TDI/IMG_20161210_162550477_zps18top4hu.jpg.html

archemitis

Veteran Member
TDI
So many new questions. Now I dont have a VNT sitting around, but can you clock the cartridge to run A VNT on the top side?