Touareg TDI 2010 Heater fan noises

RobinR

TDI
Touareg
I have a 2010 Touareg TDI and heater motor making weird noises,how can I remove the bottom of the dash to get access to where the fan is and remove fan unit.:confused:

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
uhhhh this isn't as easy as it sounds.

To get to the climate control knobs, you need to remove the Navigation/head unit. Once you remove that you will be able to remove the pieces one by one.

Here is a quick image of what it looks like if you start pulling more and more off. I was fixing the glove box in these photos.

RobinR

TDI
Touareg
Surely I do not have to go that far,I thought that the fan motor was under the dash on the passenger side above the filter.If this is so how do I remove the fan motor assembly,can it be accessed thru the glove box.

Robin

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Surely I do not have to go that far,I thought that the fan motor was under the dash on the passenger side above the filter.If this is so how do I remove the fan motor assembly,can it be accessed thru the glove box.

Robin
This isn't some older lego-type car. I think even with the MK4 you have to remove the dash.

The Touareg is very complicated and delicate with it's plastics. I'd suggest you check out clubtouareg for more technical info as this forum is lacking in the touareg section and I don't have the time to research for you.

Edit: No you can't get to it through the glovebox

Here is another photo if it helps:

I didn't take any photos from under the glovebox

RobinR

TDI
Touareg
Lubricant fixed the problem as it was the fan not the motor

Yes I found out that you cannot access the fan thru the glove box,so 5 minutes wasted. By hanging up-side-down, I managed to remove the fan unit it self,and tested it with the fan uppermost NO noise,but as it was turned sideways the noise was there,but motor ran AOK. I squirted silicone lubricant on the fan shaft and at the very end of the fan,plugged her in NO noise at all, irregardless of what direction it was pointed.As we deal with the dealer who sold us the Touareg then none of their mechanics would play Sherlock Holmes as I did but it did save me $475.00 for a replacement MOTOR.

The post suggesting that I had to remove the centre controls un-nerved me so I dug a little deeper, and came up with pictures of how it should be done ; http://www.precisionframe.com/Touareg/pollenfilter.php

RobinR

TDI
Touareg
Well it has been 8 months since my heater fan fix and 'the noise' came back,now replacement fan and motor top the $500 mark,so once again lay under the RHS dash and removed the seven screws holding the motor/fan unit and removed it. This time I realized that silicon would not fix the problem,so removed the motor cover,just press in the four rubber wedges and then gently slide the cover up.Took a look at where the shaft turns on the end of the electric motor and again NO bearing but a bushing which was dry dry. Decided to drill a hole down the outside of the shaft through the plastic cap,fill that with white grease and inject more grease around the whole shaft.Took a look at removing the fan from the other end but did not seem possible,although at one stage I was contemplating grinding the burred-over end of the shaft,removing the fan that way,then drilling and taping a hole in the ground off end and inserting a screw and washer. Decided to go the easier route and injected white grease all around the shaft where the fan and motor meet. I connected the fan assembly back to power and let the fan run quietly for 10 mins to pull in the white grease which it did so added a little more white grease to both ends of the central shaft.
All is now perfectly quiet and trust that this fix will last longer than the 8 months the just silicon did.I have been told that this is a common occurrence with VW fans across the range of models,so why would they continue to use bushes and not bearings,but then again would not sell as many new 4500 replacement units,silly me!!