BKD engine wont start after injectors swap

baracuda

TDI
golf 2 1.9tdi (AFN)
hello
i own a golf V tdi with a 2.0 TDI BKD engine and swaped the injectors ,after the swap the car wont start VCDS does not give and fault code
then i put back its own injectros and still wont start :(
i dont get it ,i thought that its a simple procedure can someone give me any advice
thanx

apples12

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 1.9tdi Match, BMW F10 520D
are you sure injectors were all seated correctly?

is there fuel getting to the injectors?

open the little screw on top of the fuel filter and turn the ignition on, fuel should spurt out.

try starting after completing this

baracuda

TDI
golf 2 1.9tdi (AFN)
are you sure injectors were all seated correctly?

is there fuel getting to the injectors?

open the little screw on top of the fuel filter and turn the ignition on, fuel should spurt out.

try starting after completing this
well, i pushed the injector in and tighten the screws ,im sure that they are in place ,bout the fuel the car was running before i swaped the injectors

is there any special coding or some adjustment needed to make it run ?

baracuda

TDI
golf 2 1.9tdi (AFN)
i tryed everything that i could think of finaly i put some engine starter and cranked the engine
it started but was running rough ,i turned the engine off later it would not start again

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
hello
i own a golf V tdi with a 2.0 TDI BKD engine and swaped the injectors ,after the swap the car wont start VCDS does not give and fault code
then i put back its own injectros and still wont start :(
i dont get it ,i thought that its a simple procedure can someone give me any advice
thanx

Why did you swap the injectors?

baracuda

TDI
golf 2 1.9tdi (AFN)
the car was smoking and it had a strong Oder burning the eyez ,and the idle was rough a friend had a similar problem that the cauze was the injectors
i had spare injectors and i gave it a try

now what ?

baracuda

TDI
golf 2 1.9tdi (AFN)
i read in the net that the car needs to be reprogramed when swaping the injectors with vas 5054
is it true ?
my friend has vas 5040 does someone know how this is done

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I have never had to do this injector-program matching when installing injectors that were the same (or even very similiar) to the ones removed.

A few things to check:
1) The injectors must be pushed all the way down by hand, before tightening the hold down block screw. The block will push the injector sideways in the bore, and it will bind on the small uneven fretting marks left by the original injector; do not depend upon the block to push the injector down - only to hold it down. So examine the gap between the top of the head and the bottom of the injector solenoid mount to ensure that they are all down equally. I have tapped the injectors with a soft rubber mallet to ensure they were seated, if I had any doubt.

Install a clear line on the fuel return path from the tandem pump to the fuel filter. Look for air bubbles in that line. The bubbles should clear within a minute or two of operation - no bubbles after that.

2) Even when everything is done right, it takes a good long crank to get the engine running. Ensure the battery is charged. Crank for 45 seconds; expect to get the low oil pressure alarm - just keep cranking. It normally starts and sounds terrible at about 30 seconds. It sounds almost as if a valve had dropped off. This is because the timing and fuel injection amounts are so far off of normal by the time it does start. Just let it run, it should smooth out in about 15 seconds.

3) You should reset the injector lash when you install new injectors.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
For the PD engines only, you have to set the injector travel stop limits.
This is set with a set screw and lock nut that reminds me of mechanical valve lash settings. But what you are doing is setting the mechanical travel such that you get full pumping power with no chance of hitting the bottom of travel of your injector and damaging it. You are not setting a gap - there is never a gap between the rocker and the injector.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3271311&highlight=PD+injector+lash#post3271311

baracuda

TDI
golf 2 1.9tdi (AFN)
For the PD engines only, you have to set the injector travel stop limits.
This is set with a set screw and lock nut that reminds me of mechanical valve lash settings. But what you are doing is setting the mechanical travel such that you get full pumping power with no chance of hitting the bottom of travel of your injector and damaging it. You are not setting a gap - there is never a gap between the rocker and the injector.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3271311&highlight=PD+injector+lash#post3271311

today i was told that i HAD to do the injector timing ,i thought that its factory set and didnt want to touch that ,i whant to thank you all that took your time to help me out

baracuda

TDI
golf 2 1.9tdi (AFN)
i know its a 16v engine ,
did i damage the injectors runing the engine without adjusting the injector timing?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
If the injectors were hitting the bottom of travel, then yes, you could have damaged them. IF by "injector timing" you are referring to setting the injector lash = injector travel.

I also see that your injectors do not have the bottom seal, like my BEW or the BRM does. It is a conical fit, metal to metal between the injector and the head. You have two hold down bolts instead of one - a much better design.

I would not think it likely that you damaged the injectors from overtravel, but possible.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
I also see that your injectors do not have the bottom seal, like my BEW or the BRM does. It is a conical fit, metal to metal between the injector and the head. You have two hold down bolts instead of one - a much better design.
All in all BKD is the most crappy engine a market has ever seen from VW, I think. It had three revisions of the head and they all still crack (valve to valve, valve to GP or injector, injector to GP, valve to oil or coolant passage, etc, etc). This motor has got many many many problems and is a real PITA to maintain and repair. However, the 'design idea' looks nice. What is the most sad, it doesn't work as awesome :(

baracuda

TDI
golf 2 1.9tdi (AFN)
after all it seems that it did damage the injector 1 ,after the leash adjustment the engine started and had a rough idle ,in vcds it throw cylinder 1 misfire detected ,i tryed the harnes it was not it ,after i swap the injector the car works fine .

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
after all it seems that it did damage the injector 1 ,after the leash adjustment the engine started and had a rough idle ,in vcds it throw cylinder 1 misfire detected ,i tryed the harnes it was not it ,after i swap the injector the car works fine .
Thanks for telling us how it ended.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
All in all BKD is the most crappy engine a market has ever seen from VW, I think. It had three revisions of the head and they all still crack (valve to valve, valve to GP or injector, injector to GP, valve to oil or coolant passage, etc, etc). This motor has got many many many problems and is a real PITA to maintain and repair. However, the 'design idea' looks nice. What is the most sad, it doesn't work as awesome :(
I really appreciate your feedback on this engine type. I had been considering buying one. They were not sold on this side of the pond.

While the 4 valve per cylinder, cam roller, and different injector mounting all sound like very good improvements, the forces involved must be too much for the head alloy.

smcnair

TDI
2006 A5 sedan
the car was smoking and it had a strong Oder burning the eyez ,and the idle was rough a friend had a similar problem that the cauze was the injectors
i had spare injectors and i gave it a try

now what ?
Now that the engine works, has the injector swap helped with the smoking and eye burning fumes?

baracuda

TDI
golf 2 1.9tdi (AFN)
Now that the engine works, has the injector swap helped with the smoking and eye burning fumes?
i solved the trouble with the smoke ,the main factor are the seals of the injectors and not the injectors itsellf ,remember every time you take out the injectors the seals need replacement ,got that from official serviceman
in my case there where 2 broken valve lifters that the previous owner did not tell or did not know about
after i replaced them the car works fine ,in a way cuz i been so buzy that i had no time to check how it runs ,im concerned when i put the car in the response was laggy imma check that tomorow

AFN-Quattro

TDI
BKD and AFN Quattro
Hey All

I have a skoda (2005) with a BKD engine which I recently purchased and this engine is very noisy - it almost sounds like the tappets or lifters are broken. Someone told me it could be a faulty injector so I did a scan with my VAG last night and one injector looks odd in cyl 3.
I dont know a lot about these engines so can someone help me decode this data? is it normal? (sorry for high jacking your thread)
My car is also suffering from poor start in the morning (sounds like its starting on 3 cylinders at first - I have to crank it for ages) and it has no power below 1800 rpm (but i think its a separate issue with N75 or turbo vanes)
Its done 95k It has full dealer service history with belt done at 82k
Table with reading below
Idling

small load

any help is greatly appreciated :)

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I usually tell PD owners:
.25 or less - excellent
.50 or less - good
.5 to 1.0 - ok, but consider cleaning or start planning to take action.
1.0 to 1.5 - poor, you can easily notice the vibration from rough running.
1.5 to 1.89 - very poor work on it now - do not drive it long.

Your injector does not look too bad - but you may have a weak cylinder (poor compression).

If this was a flat lifter and cam PD, I would recommend a cam inspection. But I think the BKD has a roller type cam. Still you could have a bad "lifter" - the hydraulic element on the end of your rocker arm, I believe.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
DanG,

my engine has got 1.3-1.5 on one cylinder, however, no problems yet. Starts good, reasonable power no rought idle just it vibrates sometimes at idle, slightly, nothing annoying. I plan to adjust the injector lash in the near future.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I doubt if the injector lash could affect this, if it is anywhere near correctly set.

People have different thresholds for vibration, and it is worse in some cars than others. The numbers I use are simply my own - they are my personal views based on testing several hundred cars. VW accepts higher numbers up to + or - 2.8 mg per stroke. Some owners will accept less vibration, others more.

If your indications are it is only producing an acceptable vibration at idle, no other drivability issues, then by all means just drive it.

fil1973

TDI
passat b5 tdi 110 (afn)
just had a similar issue, & passat struggled to start then died, after changing the injectors,

turned out when the injectors went faulty they caused the dpf to block,
went into it with vcds "basic settings" & activated the pump to fill the fuel system & removed the front sensor in the top of the cat & car started & ran, indicating a blocked cat/diesel particle filter issue, sub frame removed & dpf has been removed & cut open washed clean & re welded back in place, just remember guys when the fuel system goes bad all the extra fuel goes into the exhaust