Heated mirrors help

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
2001 New Beetle.
Does anybody know a fix or where I can buy the heating elements for the side mirrors ?
Will I have to buy the whole assembly ?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
When you buy new mirror glass the heating element is on it. They are not very expensive. You just carefully pull the glass out of the clips in the mirror housing and disconnect the plug.

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
I have to do this on both sides before winter sets in. I'm 98% sure that both are shot from the previous owner leaving them on all the time as the switch was in the on position when I bought the car in the dead of summer. I want to say that each glass is somewhere in the $30-$40 range. not to shabby.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I have to do this on both sides before winter sets in. I'm 98% sure that both are shot from the previous owner leaving them on all the time as the switch was in the on position when I bought the car in the dead of summer. I want to say that each glass is somewhere in the $30-$40 range. not to shabby.
I think I recall paying closer to $12/glass. Leaving them on all the time and shooting the mirrors at the car wash seem to delaminate the glass from the backing and that causes the heating element to go as well as the mirroe glass to discolor.

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
Where do you guys buy these mirrors ? I have googled it searched, searched, can not find it anywhere....

DustyB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Where do you guys buy these mirrors ? I have googled it searched, searched, can not find it anywhere....
http://www.ecstuning.com/ Has them for a reasonable price, I had to buy a new one after an attempt to clean my passenger side's went south.

Remember that the heated mirrors do not turn off on their own, once their done defogging turn the knob to left or right.