MFA/FIS/Sport Cluster POSSIBLE on 99.5!!!

unpimpZauto

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, Black
as promised, here is whats needed to put an immo2 CAN cluster on a 99.5

left is the 919 cluster, middle is the 920 cluster, and right is the modified 920 cluster

Check Engine Light

Glow Plug Light

Airbag Light

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
as promised, here is whats needed to put an immo2 CAN cluster on a 99.5

left is the 919 cluster, middle is the 920 cluster, and right is the modified 920 cluster

Check Engine Light

Glow Plug Light

Airbag Light
Wow! That is awesome. Looks incredibly easy too.
Thanks.

Does the cluster show any codes on VAGCOM?

unpimpZauto

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, Black
the only code i get is "no immo coil found". if i added a coil and programmed a chip, there would be no codes at all.

also, the "fun" is in figuring out where all of those components are/should be and where to cut traces and/or remove legs on chips.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Any of you geniuses ever swap in the new style CTS sensor into a 99.5? (From blue top to green top) I'm having a hard time matching up the old wires to the new style connector (Of course they aren't the same colour scheme, lol)

unpimpZauto

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, Black
the PN for the housing that attaches to the new sensor is 4BO 973 712
if you have a terminal release tool, you might be able to swap the wires (pin1->pin1...)
my recommendation, however, would be to buy the housing and 2 repair wires (each wire has 2 terminated ends) and simply splice the wires (still attaching pin1->pin1)

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
There is but I don't think it will work with MFA/FIS Immo3 cluster.
Immo3 cluster gets this info via CAN-BUS.
I wonder if it's capable of working both ways meaning that it can get the data from can-bus or the fuel data wire?

When I get a chance, I may try plugging in my MFA cluster into my 99.5 just to see what would happen.

unpimpZauto

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, Black
i would STRONGLY reccommend AGAINST connecting the (1-wire) "fuel consumption data" to the (2-wire) CAN input. there are many different communications protocols used in vehicles: ISO xxxx CAN, ISO Jxxx single wire can, LIN, RS-442, IE xxxx...

connecting two data lines together does not guarantee commnication, nor does it guarantee that no electronics will let out their smoke. if you want to assume that the "fuel consumption data" wire is a single wire CAN line, that still doesn't mean that it can be hooked up to a 2-wire can line. the actual CAN wires pass through a "transciever," or level shifter. this splits into a Tx (transmit) and an Rx (recieve) line which then goes to the micro. the transciever for CAN and SWCAN are quite different, due to the actual physical-layer implemented.

in plain english: single wire "fuel consumption data" does not equal CAN for FIS

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I never said to connect it to the can wires. Connect it to pin 32 in the green connector which is labeled "fuel consumption signal, open from 05.99 production" in my Bentley.

The big question is whether the cluster will be able to read the data from a 99.5 ECU connected to that pin or will it simply be looking at the can-bus instead.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
I never said to connect it to the can wires. Connect it to pin 32 in the green connector which is labeled "fuel consumption signal, open from 05.99 production" in my Bentley.

The big question is whether the cluster will be able to read the data from a 99.5 ECU connected to that pin or will it simply be looking at the can-bus instead.
That is what I plan on doing. And if the cluster can't connect to other modules I can replace them/recode them/flash them to get them talking on CAN-Bus.

Im just short on funds right now and trying to get chipped :D

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
That is what I plan on doing. And if the cluster can't connect to other modules I can replace them/recode them/flash them to get them talking on CAN-Bus.

Im just short on funds right now and trying to get chipped :D
I can assure you the cluster will not connect to other models because I did it my self. I plugged Immo2 and Immo3 cluster on may car and I have all sort of faulty codes all over modules and Christmas tree on instrument cluster.

If you want to get them work on can-bus you need to have wiring harness add or replace. 99.5 does not have same wiring harness same as 2000-2001 0r 2002+. Also 2000-2001 does not have same wiring harness as 2002+ has.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
I can assure you the cluster will not connect to other models because I did it my self. I plugged Immo2 and Immo3 cluster on may car and I have all sort of faulty codes all over modules and Christmas tree on instrument cluster.

If you want to get them work on can-bus you need to have wiring harness add or replace. 99.5 does not have same wiring harness same as 2000-2001 0r 2002+. Also 2000-2001 does not have same wiring harness as 2002+ has.
Chopping/adding wires does not scare me. I do it on a daily basis ;)

TDi110

Veteran Member
I have a 99 AHF 110 GOlf, I fitted Immo 3 Full FIS clocks to mine.
Created a circuit to overcome the Airbag light.(Airbag light works as it should.)
Had to re-wire a few of the wires from the Green/Blue 32 pin plugs at the rear.
MFA works as should
Nav info works as should.
The only error I have is the glow plug light, I couldnt be bothered sorting a circuit for this, as the glow plugs still worked as they should. ECU threw a error code as it couldn't see the glowplug light!
Well chuffed with it, illuminated needles, Welcome message. MTE enabled.
Oh and changed the illumination for the clock and Odometer to red and inverted so that all LCD's are like the FIS display.

unpimpZauto

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, Black
Tdi100, isn't that a Passat cluster?

EDIT: just realized that that's a custom cluster front.

Last edited:

TDi110

Veteran Member
TDi100, could you share which wires you had to add/change to get FIS working? Thanks.
Standard disclamer: Do so at your own risk, I shall not be responsible for damages, mishaps.....etc

I started off by firstly making a table of both the blue and green 32 pin connectors.

In the 1st column I noted down all the existing wiring and wire colors from these plugs.

Then using the wiring data from the wiring diagrams from the VW service manuals, made a note of what was available for NON can clusters, Immo II clusters and finally Immo III clusters.

From this I found that on my car although it was a 99MY I had on the 32 pin green connector pins 19, 20 wired (CanBus High, Low). ENGINE CANBUS??

Also on NON can clusters the data from the VW sat nav goes to a red, 3rd connector: CLOCK, DATA ENABLE

You will find that the main differences are on the Green 32 pin connector, pins 30, 31, 32.

NON CAN: (30)O/P SIGNAL SPEEDO, (31)SELECTOR DISPLAY, (32)MPG SIGNAL

Becomes on a:

IMMO III: (30)CLOCK, (31)DATA, (32)ENABLE

A) So I REMOVED: (30)O/P SIGNAL SPEEDO, (31)SELECTOR DISPLAY, (32)MPG SIGNAL from the connector.

B) I then wired (30)CLOCK, (31)DATA, (32)ENABLE from the red plug coming from the VW sat nav.

The Sat nav gets its GALA signal from the cluster pin (30)O/P SIGNAL SPEEDO, so without this the sat nav won't have any speed data.

You then take a jumper wire from the 32 pin BLUE connector: (3)O/P SIGNAL SPEEDO to the now REMOVED (From step A) wire which used to occupy (30)O/P SIGNAL SPEEDO. Your sat nav now has the GALA signal again. You need to leave connected pin (3)O/P SIGNAL SPEEDO, in the blue connector.

I had no wire on (31)SELECTOR DISPLAY as mine is a manual tranny. So unable to verify if the selector display shows on the bottom of the FIS display.

Which then leaves (32)MPG SIGNAL. This wire I isolated, and prayed.:cool:

I was lucky in that because I had from green connector pins 19, 20 wired(CanBus High, Low). the data for the mpg etc came via the Canbus from the ECU.

I have heard of others fitting Immo III clocks to early NON canbus cars and not having the MPG info.

So I now have FULL FIS clocks on a 99MY showing MFA data and Nav directions. Also the clocks I have, have the FIS Menu structure, ie MFA, STATUS, NAVIGATION, DISPLAY OFF, which aren't available on the Immo II FIS clocks.

Also from the table I created, also found that on 99MY the glow plug light had its own wire from the ECU, on the later Immo III clusters, I guess this came by the Engine CanBus.

So on my cluster the glow plug light comes on/off when you turn the ignition, and the glow plugs do still work, the ECU throws an error code as it can't see the glow plug indicator, as on the Immo II clocks this was wired directly to the connector.

Also the Airbag signal was inverted on the Immo III clocks, so now the light stays on permantly, some people put tape over the indicator so it no longer shows, others code out the Airbag from the Canbus controller. I don't believe this should be done as itis an SRS, so if theres a problem YOU NEED TO KNOW, NOT after testing if the Airbags work or not in an accident!

So what I did was I copied the circuit of the Airbag light from the Immo Non can cluster and fitted this to the Immo III cluster.
Now when I log into the Airbag controller the Airbag indicator flashes just as its ment to, and when you turn on the ignition it stays illuminated for 5 secs before going out.

My original clocks where 1J0 919 XXX X, I now have 1J0 920 946 X

I hope this helps, appologies for it being a bit long.

:D:D

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I was lucky in that because I had from green connector pins 19, 20 wired(CanBus High, Low). the data for the mpg etc came via the Canbus from the ECU.
US models 99.5 don't have High/low can bus.
High/Low can bus start building after 5/99 in Euro models and 2000+ models in USA.
As I always said US models and Euro models are much different.

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Yes they do, it just might not be at the cluster. The TCM, ECU, and ABS use CAN bus on the 99.5.

-J
Yes you right but the way you wired 99.5 cluster.

I am talking about MFA/FIS IMMO3 cluster.
I was saying HIGH/LOW CAN. You need to have High /Low Can to make immo 3 cluster MPG ,miles to distance to work.

On 99.5 ECU is 80 pin and on 2000+ is 121 pin.
On 99.5 pin No.6 goes to speedometer in cluster pin No.11
On 99.5 pin No.7 does not exist in wiring diagram(it be be present in ECU)

On Immo 3 cars (2002+) pin No.6 in low can and pin No.7 is High can and it goes in pin 19 and 20 of cluster .

This is a problem that will be for MFA/FIS cluster on 99.5 USA cars.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
Yes you right but the way you wired 99.5 cluster.

I am talking about MFA/FIS IMMO3 cluster.
I was saying HIGH/LOW CAN. You need to have High /Low Can to make immo 3 cluster MPG ,miles to distance to work.

On 99.5 ECU is 80 pin and on 2000+ is 121 pin.
On 99.5 pin No.6 goes to speedometer in cluster pin No.11
On 99.5 pin No.7 does not exist in wiring diagram(it be be present in ECU)

On Immo 3 cars (2002+) pin No.6 in low can and pin No.7 is High can and it goes in pin 19 and 20 of cluster .

This is a problem that will be for MFA/FIS cluster on 99.5 USA cars.
I think they do have it. Just the wiring isnt there. I need a Euro wiring layout to compare. How many pins do older Euro ECUs have?

Tomorrow Ill be out pulling wires on my Jetta hopefully.

To TDi110: Thanks for the write up but my head really hurts after reading all that :p
Thanks for the write up though. Any bit of information helps.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
I found it under Euro Bettle ALH.
CAN HIGH =pin 68
CAN LOW= pin 75
All this time I was looking Euro Bora( witch is USA Jetta) and it does not say nothing . Wires is there but it does not say can-high/can-low. So I stared looking in New Bettle wiring diagram and found this.

Last edited:

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
I found it under Euro Bettle ALH.
CAN HIGH =pin 68
CAN LOW= pin 75
All this time I was looking Euro Bora( witch is USA Jetta) and it does not say nothing . Wires is there but it does not say can-high/can-low. So I stared looking in New Bettle wiring diagram and found this.
So there IS CAN? :p
Yipeeeeee!

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
you should always have Can high and can Low, canbus is a 2 wire setup, you can't run the bus without 2 wires

yetimus

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Former owner :-(
Looks like jcrews has been down this road before....I had a gasser Passat MFA half-screen cluster installed in my 99.5 for a few days, but I went with a Euro TDI clock-style MFA cluster because RPM was inaccurate with the gasser cluster.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
RPM seems dead on with an immo2 g/j cluster 4cylinder cluster. Just have to confirm. I just have too many things i have to do to my car and too many unfinished projects. Hopefully i will have two cars that have on my parking lot sitting fixed and sold and i can afford this and other projects by this week.

unpimpZauto

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, Black
I just deleted the schematics I posted earlier, and will upload new ones once I update them. found an issue/better ways of doing things while modifying my new cluster.

hyddgen

TDI
golf 1.9
I just deleted the schematics I posted earlier, and will upload new ones once I update them. found an issue/better ways of doing things while modifying my new cluster.
I was disappointed to find that these were no longer available :confused: I would be really interested in seeing the new schematics and details:cool: as I have both new and older clusters, the new one has lot more toys but the glow indicator doesn't work...

Thanks!

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
Yes! I found a Passat cluster that does not have immo and it does have MFA.

Part number 3B0 920 920

So far it will not accept any of the tacho dumps I have. They all do not work correctly.
Maybe because it is an odd non-immo but CAN piece.

Any ideas?

I hope unpimpZauto could repost schematics.