Wrench icon on cluster?

Damien8

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi guys,

I started the car today and noticed a wrench icon on the cluster? It said 88 beside it?

Is this a maintenance reminder or something?

Thank in advance :cool:

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Maint reminder

Damien8 said:
Hi guys,

I started the car today and noticed a wrench icon on the cluster? It said 88 beside it?

Is this a maintenance reminder or something?

Thank in advance :cool:
You guessed it= Maintenance reminder.:)

oilbrnr4life

TDI
wrench lite

I believe that this lite comes on after a certain period of time, or after 5,ooo miles. I also have the same question as far as how do you reset it...
I own a 2006 Jetta TDI 6 speed automatic.

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I have an 09 and my wrench has not lit yet at 9200. I think I saw something on the vwvortex site as to how to reset it if you don't have VCDS. I'll try to find it for ya'll.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
It's programmable and the values are stored in the instrument cluster. VW sets different maintenance reminders by region.

In the US, the maintenance reminder is set at 10,000 miles on TDIs. Some dealers reset them to 5,000 miles to extract more cash for oil changes.

You can change it with a VCDS. It's under 17-Instruments, then you click on adaptation, and it's one of the channels up in the 40's. There's another channel you can adjust to set the days between services as well. Whichever one gets hit first will trigger a maintenance reminder.

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
Yeah, I understand this. I'm asking a little bit another thing. How much *earlier* do the cluster reminds be that the service will be due?

For example, my 17-Instruments is set for 10k intervals. I already drove 9xyz miles. How many miles BEFORE 10k it will start showing a reminder '*** miles until service?

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
<600 miles untill my service and I don't get any warning yet. That's why I'm asking. Is it possible the cluster counts average mileage per day/moth/week/etc and displays for example 1 week/month/day/etc 'in advance' by counted mileage?

solartempest

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
Mine was at least 1000km prior. The only confusing part is that the service reminder was flashing me two numbers - one was a rounded number to the service mileage, not sure what the other one was.

grek

TDI
2009 Jetta SportWagen
My '09 JSW started showing a reminder in the MFI at 9000 miles. Showed miles to go and days to go for the 10000/annual service and has been counting down since then. I'm at 9800 miles now. It displays the new figures at every start up.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
grek said:
My '09 JSW started showing a reminder in the MFI at 9000 miles. Showed miles to go and days to go for the 10000/annual service and has been counting down since then. I'm at 9800 miles now. It displays the new figures at every start up.
Mine is exactly the same - miles and days to go, every time I start the car. No wrench, just words on the MFD. I'm at about 9400 miles.

Don