recall notice

pfiermka

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black TDI
I have a 2002 Jetta and got a recall notice in the mail a couple of weeks ago. It is for a brake light switch, is anyone familiar with this repair?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
LOL, you're joking right? :p

Old news, friend.

Yes, VERY common failure, VERY easy to replace, VERY inexpensive part.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
It should take the dealer about 15 minutes from the time you drive in to drive out.

Do get it fixed. It will knock out your cruse control if it goes out as well as messing up the brake lights.

If you really want to avoid the dealer, you can buy the part cheap and do it yourself, but why.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Joe_Meehan said:
It should take the dealer about 15 minutes from the time you drive in to drive out. And another 30 to get the grease prints out of the interior, and another trip to have them see that they broke the lower trim panel, then yet ANOTHER trip to have them replace the trim panel they broke since it was not an in-stock item.

If you really want to avoid the dealer, you can buy the part cheap and do it yourself, but why. See above. The part costs about $4.
Boldface added be me :) And I wish I were joking. :eek:

pfiermka

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black TDI
LOL.....I will get the part and do it my self!!!!!

Does any have the part number?

Thanks hammer, I enjoyed your comments.

The dealers ar idiots.

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
I had the dealer do my 03 a while back. Took two seconds for them to do it.

HotRod

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
vwvortex website has a great how-to for the brake light switch.

It took me about 5 to 7 minutes to install it. On a scale of 1 to 10, it is a 1 or a 2.

I didn't want to leave my car all day at the dealer for a 5 min job.

dok

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V
pfiermka said:
Yes, I saw that, I just picked up the switch at the stealer, $4. It will be easy to replace.
Neftin VW of Thousand Oaks, CA wants $12.35 for the brake light switch. They told me it be free, if they installed, being a recall and all. I told them, 'You can touch my Jetta when you can pry the steering wheel from my cold dead hands"!

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
dok said:
Neftin VW of Thousand Oaks, CA wants $12.35 for the brake light switch. They told me it be free, if they installed, being a recall and all. I told them, 'You can touch my Jetta when you can pry the steering wheel from my cold dead hands"!
LOL sounds like another satisfied VW service customer

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
worst part for me was when mine failed, it locked the automatic's PRNDL. Took me hours to figure out what was going on. Neighbor noticed the brake lights were not working. Add in the failure of the foot-on-pedal light to go off and it dawned on me......

bf1967

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
I picked up a switch myself tonight and the directions call for lubing the plunger tip. Two questions: Did anyone actually lube the switch? Since I didn't get the lube at the dealer (they really should include a small tube if they want you to lube it), what would be a compatible lube?

Bob

Last edited: