Cleaner diesel engines possible with award winning technology

Mithrandir

I was searching the net for articles on improved emissions for diesel engines and came across this article.
http://www.anl.gov/OPA/frontiers/d5ee.html

Some important points in the article say:

"When the oxygen in the engine increases from
the ambient 21 percent to 23 to 25 percent, particulates and visible smoke drop dramatically."

"Using a 1.9-liter Volkswagen passenger-car diesel engine, researchers are also investigating new techniques for nitrogen enrichment to cut NOx emissions. Engine manufacturers currently use exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) as a way of reducing NOx. Argonne has found that a nitrogen-rich stream in lieu of EGR is superior, especially in reducing engine wear."

If this or similar technology is able to be brought into the consumer market, I think that it would really make a strong case for the diesel engine as the engine of choice for most people.

The only remaining major negatives that I see would be acceleration and possibly the smell of the diesel fuel. Although, I do not exactly think that Gasoline fuel aroma is that much better than diesel.

I am not completely familiar with all the ins and outs of diesel engines, but this website has improved my knowledge of diesel engines and to a lesser extent of gasoline engines.

Has anyone else heard about this or other technology that would reduce emissions without the use of EGR?

Sincerely,

Anthony

*paul

Good to read a positive-thinking article for a change, esp after reading today that the CA Air Resources board is meeting to propose more restrictions on diesels. (see other thread)

These two articles contrast the difference between educated research and closed-minded politicians.

-paul

H2VW

Good info and cool name. It's good to have a "wizard" on the board.

------------------
"Do or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
Thanks Anthony for your excellent write up. Seems like a much more desirable alternative than dumping garbage back into an engine that really does better on clean air.

kwhiner

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS Silver
Sorry about the link guys and gals. It was a press release fom Delphi Corp., saying they had signed a cooperation agreement with Citroen-Peugeot to develop a non-thermal plasma exhaust aftertreatment devise. That went on to say that in steady state testing the devise has shown a 65% reduction in NO emissions. It also will eliminate particulate matter as well, and will allow passage of Euro4 regs beginning 1/1/05.

------------------

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
Toyota has also developed a diesel NOx/ PM aftertreatment system according to Diesel Progress:

www.dieselpub.com/dp/bus_lst2.asp?pick=2306

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Toyota Develops Diesel Aftertreatment System

Japan’s Toyota Motor Corp. said it has developed a diesel NOx and particulate (PM) reduction system that is designed to simultaneously and continuously reduce both PM and NOx in diesel exhaust. Toyota said the system is based on its NOx storage reduction 3-way catalyst technology and features a newly developed fine porous ceramic filter coated with a 3-way platinum-based catalyst. The catalyst, Toyota said, was originally designed for use with lean-burn gasoline engines.

In lean burn diesel operation, PM is oxidized by active oxygen released in the NOx storage process and by excess oxygen in the exhaust gas. Then, when the engine momentarily switches to rich operation, PM is also oxidized by active oxygen released in the process of reducing the stored NOx, Toyota said. Also, by alternatively switching the direction of the exhaust gas flow in the catalytic converter, the system further increases its PM oxidation capability. Toyota claims the system has achieved an 80 percent reduction in both NOx and PM. in testing thus far.

The new system requires low sulfur diesel fuel to maintain the conversion efficiency for the long term. It also cannot be retrofitted on existing vehicles as it requires the precise control of injected fuel such as in diesel engines with common rail fuel systems.

Toyota said it plans to introduce the system on a two-tom commercial truck due to be launched in 2003. It also reportedly plans to develop the system with its affiliate Hino Motors Ltd., and also plans to license the technology to other vehicle manufacturers.

July 28, 2000<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>