Evry mod : Holy Cow!

TDIpurdue

Veteran Member
TDI
My first car: Jetta, '01, silver, automatic
you can thread the wire into the engine compartment throught he gromet by your brake pedal, just pop it out and feed the wire through. You can reinstall the gromet by cutting a slit into it and sliding it over the wire.

Licken2

Yeah. I routed the wires into the cab using a grommet above the accelerator pedal. It'll pop out into the engine bay if you push from inside the car, so be careful not to lose it. From the engine bay it's behind what appears to be the brake booster. Can't miss it.

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
Thanks. There are tons of pics on what pins to put the wires on into the harness and how to tune the mod, but apparently I haven't seen anyone discuss how to get the wires into the passenger cabin for a switch.

Last question still - where can I connect this 12v line? Either name a safe place in the cabin or the engine compartment. And no, I don't want to stick it to the battery terminal :)

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Anthracite Golf IV, 13 miles and counting ;)
Fortuna Wolf said:
Thanks. There are tons of pics on what pins to put the wires on into the harness and how to tune the mod, but apparently I haven't seen anyone discuss how to get the wires into the passenger cabin for a switch.

Last question still - where can I connect this 12v line? Either name a safe place in the cabin or the engine compartment. And no, I don't want to stick it to the battery terminal :)
any red wire? i think most wire bundles carry +12V in the passenger compartment. you can always verify with a voltmeter, either by seeing if there is resitance to ground, or by being cautious and probing while its hot.

Licken2

I'd go for the terminal under the dash labeled "75x" - it's a switched 12v source. It's a 'yellow' colored one mixed with a couple of red ones - in a power block of sorts. Look under there, you'll see it. It's what I used for my Sirius radio installation. Just put a ring terminal on your wire.... over the post... tighten the nut down... done.

Last edited:

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Dear, I'm embarassed to have not done this yet. I've stuck my head under the dash and couldn't make sense of anything, and I can't feel anything, or I don't know if what I'm feeling is what I'm supposed to be doing.

Can someone snap a picture for me of where the wires go under the pedal and in the engine bay?

*stupid*

TDIpurdue

Veteran Member
TDI
wolf,
you may have to remove the little kick plate under the steering column/dash. It's like 4? screws and the thing just comes right out. look up with you head on the floor, you'll see a bunch of relays and stuff right next to a set of metal posts with numbers on them. like licken said, just tap into the x75 post and you're good to go.

FirstVtwin

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
Can this be wired to a push button for something similar to a NOS setup? I would prefer something like that for the extra kick when I need it, but normal fueling for day to day driving. Anybody see any negatives to that type of set up?

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
FirstVtwin said:
Can this be wired to a push button for something similar to a NOS setup? I would prefer something like that for the extra kick when I need it, but normal fueling for day to day driving. Anybody see any negatives to that type of set up?
not I. you could have a relay switch between sensor input and a preset resistor value at the push of your button. all you will need is a single wire connecting the relay with a positive voltage somewhere inside the cabin.
not a bad idea.

dgt

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Touran 105
TDIpurdue said:
you can thread the wire into the engine compartment throught he gromet by your brake pedal, just pop it out and feed the wire through. You can reinstall the gromet by cutting a slit into it and sliding it over the wire.

UK cars have the same gromet on the same side, but theres nothing much in the way,obviously. :)

just finished the job, very painless and highly satisfying having a giggle button in the car !

Gil

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 auto wagon and 2004 stick
Sorry guys I was trying to do a search on how to do this on a PD. Any help there? Gil

dgt

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Touran 105
gil, the PD has only a two pin plug as opossed to the 8 or 10 pin plugs. there is some info one one of the threads but i cant find it as yet.

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
heres what i have for the PD evry mod:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dgace/evry_mod.htm
http://community.dieselschrauber.de/contenttopic.php?t=3208

basically same principle as the regular evry mod except much easier, since there is only two pins. im still working on mine, its going to be fine-tunable, and I will report back as soon as i have results.
im going with a relay setup, multiple resistors, and a switch inside the cabin. picked up the biggest rocker switch i could find at radioshack with a safety and an LED; 12V DPDT coil relay, a few resistors to vary beteween 150-500 Ohms, and an adjustable resistor for fine tuning. switch is going to be mounted on the arm rest pillar, and a single wire to connect the relay to 12V is going to be run somehow through the firewall. im really looking forward to taking off the steering wheel in order to install this mod :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I finally figured out where that damn grommet "by the brake pedal" was. I had to look in the engine compartment for it, pop it out (Its key shaped), drive a knife through the fiber backing and look under my dash to find where the knife was sticking out.

So I wired it up with a 12V line for the light.
However uh... I go to connect the 12V hot wire to it (while the switch was on and the engine was running) and as soon as it touches a 12V line the engine turned off.
Oops.
I forgot that the lighted switch is going to use one of the wires as ground. Which wire is ground? I suppose if I switch the wires on the harness I'll find out.
Anyhow, pin 2 or 3, can I use one of these as ground?

TDIpurdue

Veteran Member
TDI
I suggest grounding to any piece metal that is gonna be attached to your frame. There is a mounting bracked behind the fusebox that works pretty well. Just wrap your wire around a hole in the metal bit and tape it up to ensure a good connection. I've found that this grounds quite well. Although perhaps someone else has a better suggestion on here

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Thing is - the switch only has 3 wires.
Pin 2, 12v, Pin 3

So when it turns on it bridges 2 and 3 and then tries to use one of those as a ground for the 12v light.

Know where I can find a lighted switch with dual channels?

edwardm

TDI
Golf, 2002, silver
I would like to do this mod on my 02 golf. I thought it would just increase fuel, but I read a reference here to increasing boost. Is that just a byproduct of the ECU seeing all the extra fuel?

Edward

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
A quick question about the evry mod, is it hard on the engine if it is used a lot, can it be turned on and off anytime the engine is running and under all power applications?

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Its hard on the engine when you're first tuning it, certainly. I chose to tune it to the point where it did NOT make the engine shudder in idle. Its very conservative but you don't notice when its turned on or off at idle, and at faster RPMs with a load its pretty seamless.

The ECU tries to maintain a certain RPM at idle, so if you trick it into injecting more fuel than normal (9 mg) it'll reduce the fuel it thinks its injecting (6 mg) even though its actually injecting 9mg. So the net effect is that you can just drive like normal with a lighter foot and it will be no different than if the mod were off. The only real difference is that when you do floor it you'll get more power (and probably smoke). I keep it off since I rarely floor the go pedal and I don't want to forget that its on when I shut the car down.

But it is fun for when you're at a stoplight next to a stupid teenage ricer and want to cover them in soot.

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
Fortuna Wolf said:
But it is fun for when you're at a stoplight next to a stupid teenage ricer and want to cover them in soot.
lol :p i wander with all my mods, how much "fun" would the teenage get covered with...

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
Thanks for all the help on the evry mod I will be installing this weekend with the holding circuit and will report back. Gad this is a fun car to have and mod.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
I installed the evry mod today and it was interesting, the NB is perfect for installing the toggle switch. I fits next to the flasher switch in the extra slot (for who knows what) and all the stuff fits in the stock switch box. The only challenge I had was the toggle switch, I wired it per a drawing on one of the forums and it is not correct. I used the radio shack switch with three connectors on the back and the drawing showed using the two outside legs and the center was for a 12 volt source for light to the switch, well this switch is not lighted and you must use the center leg and one of the outer before it will work. I figured this out and away we go. The mod is nice, but I want more power, ha ha. nozzles are next.
Something else I am glad has not happened, no CEL or glowplug lights, why? I have tuned up and down and still no lights coming on, I guess this is good.
I is really hard not to run with the evry mod on all the time, the engine just seems to run so much better, both in power and in smoothness, but for idle. It is hard to believe the US could make a great little car be so de-tuned and still run.

Last edited:

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
evry mod

Hi,

I hope you folks are installing boost gauges and EGT gauges with this modification.

If this mod similar to the 10K mod on 7.3 ford diesel it would be a good idea!

-mb

TDIpurdue

Veteran Member
TDI
In most members experience just the evry mod alone does not warrant a boost and egt guage setup. Once you start chipping and adding larger holes are you getting serious danger of blowing up our mighty little vnt15s. But then again you car is an expensive piece of equipment and if you are the least bit nervous then by all means get the guages for peace of mind

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
From what I have read here, over boosting should only be a problem at WOT below 2000 rpms and in 4th and 5th gears..Keep it above 2k and then and only then go to WOT.

bareass

Veteran Member
TDI
`02 Jetta 74K
i heard that the evry mod stops working once you add a chip or nozzles...
is this true.. and can you get a chip programed witht his in mind?