Chapin, SC GTG January 22nd, 2011 Rocketchip Tunes

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Google Doc Spreadsheet for Attendees and Worklist, Directions and Contact info, Motels.

We are planning on having a GTG at my home in Chapin, SC on Saturday, January 22, 2011.

Jeff Robertson of Rocketchip will be there, if anyone wants a tune.

This will be similar to the others, light wrenching, food, conversation.
It will start at 7am, and end at 8 pm. I am hoping that Paramedick, Turbinewhine, Dieselfueler, Jimbote, and Growler will all be here. This gives us a lot of bench strength. I need to spend more time learning from these guys this year.

Pete Raissis, the shop supervisor from Gunther Volkswagen of Coconut Creek FL. will be attending the GTG. He is well respected in the industry and on this site. Many of you may be aware of his good work on the Passat Balance Shaft Module issue.

Pete can bring MKV and MKVI steel OEM skidplate kits for sale, as well as other parts from his dealership. He can bring them with him (within reason) this will avoid shipping charges, and since the sales are out of state no Florida taxes would apply. Please PM VWSHPFRMN about any purchases.

Pete will have the ability to re-code keys to immobilizers, access to troubleshooting guides and information, and is willing to speak of the trends and issues he has seen in his shop. His presence will add a new dimension to the GTG.

Let's hope we do not get a repeat snow and ice storm this year.

I could use a volunteer for "Service Writer" - someone to direct work flow.

You can find location, directions, contact information, and some suggestions for motels in the link below. Please do not post my contact information on the internet. Though I share it freely with members here, I do NOT want it posted on the internet.

I have 4 bays inside that we can work in. Wireless internet access. Most tools that we need.

1. Everyone is welcome. Please do not take it wrong if I did not reply to your post. I try to keep the clutter to a minimum.
2. Please fill in your information in the Google doc spreadsheet below, this lets us help prepare for the event properly.
3. Jeff will handle his own scheduling (usually a clipboard to sign up on, first come first served.) If you have any doubts about your cars performance, get it checked out before you get to Jeff (ask for me, Turbinewhine, Paramedick, Jimbote, Growler, or dieselfueler, to check it out). This will save time for everyone.
4. If you are planning to get some troubleshooting done, try to get here early so we have more options on parts stores when we figure out what you need. The closest VW dealer parts department (about 20 miles) closes at 2 pm on Saturday.
5. If you are hoping to get some work done gratis, bring 24 extra drinks, and a roll of shop towels for the mechanics and advisors.
6. Everyone please bring a folding chair if you have one.
7. Bring coolers and drinks; there will be several communal coolers to put shared drinks into.
8. We will do sausages, dogs, and hamburgers, and accept donations for the food. I think Wade lost his shirt on the pig last year. If we want to do a pig we might need some sponsors. Look for a jar somewhere. There are a half dozen places to eat within 2 miles if needed.
9. If you are going to ask Turbinewhine, Dieselfueler, Paramedick, Growler or Jimbote to do a special job for you, deal with them on the price and set up the job in advance. Otherwise we will help you do small or routine jobs. I do ask that we keep the jobs at a reasonable level. All the ones mentioned so far are of that nature. No timing belts, no cam replacements please.
10. No one will bring parts or fluids for you, unless you make arrangements in advance. The local VW dealer gives Columbia TDI club members a 20% discount, and is open until 2 pm on Saturday. The local NAPA closes at noon, the local Advance Auto stays open until 9 pm. There are many parts stores within 15 miles or so.
11. Unless you have made arrangements already bring instructions for the jobs you want to do. Exceptions are oil changes, brake flushes, routine brake jobs, and other routine tasks. If in doubt ask or bring instructions. Always bring instructions for transmission fluid changes. Some are surprisingly tricky. Remember that DSG and Automatic transmission fluid changes require about 3-4 hours for the car to cooldown.

Google Doc Spreadsheet for Attendees and Worklist, Directions and Contact info, Motels.

Last edited:

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
I am in but won't know until later on what I will be doing. Hope to have the FMIC in by then:D

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Great. I will try yet again to spend some time working with you. I just get sidetracked so easily.
What I really need is a VCDS operator to tie up my cable and computer, doing all those checkouts. That might let me get some visiting done.

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Count me in! Anyone want to assist me in some "EGR maintenance?" I might need a brake flush also. I'll be doing headlight restorations and some minor detailing/scratch removal if anyone needs it.

Last edited:

50R BTR

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
May not need any maintenance, but looking forward to getting my hands dirty...learning a few things and lending a hand in any way that I can. Interested in VCDS operation. Look forward to meeting you all.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
The KY Clampetts are coming.....:D Y'all get to see my new Jetta Wagon.
Can I come too.. I wanna show off my new toy as well.. and see if Jeff can work his magic on it and retune it like my golf was.. I even have VCDS Screenshots for him to compare.. :)

Bruce, I may wanna travel down with you since I haven't been to one of these before.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Can I come too.. I wanna show off my new toy as well.. and see if Jeff can work his magic on it and retune it like my golf was.. I even have VCDS Screenshots for him to compare.. :)
Bruce, I may wanna travel down with you since I haven't been to one of these before.
Growler, you would be welcome. The more the merrier. Especially experienced techs. Of course if you show up, we will put you to work...
Dan

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Of course if you show up, we will put you to work...
Dan
I don't go to GTGs to sit on my thumb with a silly grin on my face...

will be glad to lend a hand with whatever trouble someone is getting in to.

shoot, I might bring my front suspension rebuild stuff and do it there if theres a shop press and a way to get wheel bearings and control arm bushings installed.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Great. I will try yet again to spend some time working with you. I just get sidetracked so easily.
What I really need is a VCDS operator to tie up my cable and computer, doing all those checkouts. That might let me get some visiting done.
Sounds like a great job for Eric. Show him what you want and point him at it.

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
I'd like to come, but we'll see. I need to keep my mileage down until I can afford my next tb/wp/cam/lifters in 20k. So, we'll see. But put me as tentative. :)

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
Known issue with the 02 ALH engines. There was a batch of cams that received improper tempering, resulting in lobe degradation.

I replaced one yesterday for a customer.
Yup and my car was made September 01...so I have the early '02 model with bad cam lobes :(

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
so this has been visually verified Michelle? or are you just banking on having a bad one?

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
Well, not visually verified yet, I'm pretty positive I have one. Starting to get some of the common symptoms. Haven't heard that knocking yet, but the engine has been a bit louder than normal. Smokes a lot more than it used to (though I don't mind), and fuel economy is down right sucky. I know riding on 18's doesn't help, but I should get more than 40mpg. Besides, tbelt and wp are due, might as well do it while I"m there.

DidJettarun

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 2005.5 Jetta A4 2003 Jetta
Count me in as usual...do I dare volunteer as service advisor or should I leave it to someone who can handle it?

engineerorange

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
8. We will do sausages, dogs, and hamburgers, and accept donations for the food. I think Wade lost his shirt on the pig last year. If we want to do a pig we might need some sponsors. Look for a jar somewhere. There are a half dozen places to eat within 2 miles if needed.
Wade didn't lose anything, he knows exactly where it went and cosiders it a damn fine cause.
If we want to do a pig I will try and work it out so that we can do it again. If nobody liked the pig and wants to do burgers I am OK with that too.

Oh BTW, I am planning to be there.