What did you do to your car today?

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
Growler said:
Took off the Winter Newbeetle Alloys.. and put on the Summer Steelies with Picklecaps...
This is very backwards, I will be removing my Winter steelies in favor of New Beetle summer alloys this evening...

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
so last Fall I built a new porch for my house. . .

so now its time for some deck/porch furniture so off to Ikea we go. . .

End up getting a table, 8 chairs, and 8 chair cushions. The Ikea cart is over-flowing. . .

Time to load up. next to me is a Honda Ridgeline (those fake pick-ups) and he has the same amount of stuff.

I have a Jetta sedan, with roof racks. I fold down the seats and start sliding the boxes in. . it all fits, along with the cushions. I did not even need the roof racks.

Honda guy is still trying to fit stuff, going over for the string. .. He looks over at me. I can see the disdain on his face :) (how the hell???)

Jetta 1 --- Fake pick-up 0

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
btcost said:

End up getting a table, 8 chairs, and 8 chair cushions. The Ikea cart is over-flowing. . .

Time to load up. next to me is a Honda Ridgeline (those fake pick-ups) and he has the same amount of stuff.

I have a Jetta sedan, with roof racks. I fold down the seats and start sliding the boxes in. . it all fits, along with the cushions. I did not even need the roof racks.

Honda guy is still trying to fit stuff, going over for the string. .. He looks over at me. I can see the disdain on his face :) (how the hell???)

Shoulda snapped a before and after picture:D ....and it would've been better if it started to rain(your stuff nice and dry,his stuff wet)....

chirishboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
btcost said:

HAHA I have been in the same scenario with a hatchback at Ikea... I went with a friend to pick up some stuff they ordered and they came out with 2 flat carts FULL and somehow fit it in a Acura hatch! Not sure how tho...

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
ruking said:
Just finished

1. wash

(4 bucket system: 1 bucket, diluted car soap: 3 buckets clear water: after soap loaded towel is used on the cars surface, it is dipped in the first clear water bucket, wrung out, dipped in 2nd bucket, wrung out, then back into dilute car wash to load it with soap. 3rd clear water is to replace usually the first dirty clear water bucket that gets FILTHY. ) It is truly amazing how much dirt sits on the car, aka picked up by 100% cotton toweling.

2. dry (HUGE 100% cotton bath towel did most of the work)

3. Zaino'ed

4. wiped down all internal surfaces

5. checked all fluids.

6. topped tire pressure from 36 psi to 38 psi. (85% of max side wall pressure)

7. chip work
Ditto on a 2009 TDI.

Some differences were:

1. Z6 (Zaino's gloss enhancer?) after the last wash, 6 months ago:eek:
2. topped the tire pressure from 42 to 44 psi (85% of max side wall pressure)
3. no chips

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Liath; Cleaned out the driver's side front wheel well behind the plastic liner (cleaned passenger's side last week). Installed front splash guards. Cleared CEL for bad glow plug.

Graycie; Autoscanned for DTCs

Dan

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Finally got around to installing the boost gauge and pyrometer I 'won' at 'fest 08.
Rewired the 900 ohm Evry to a switch inside.
Reattached the lower fender panel (between the bottom of the bumper and the lower edge of the wheelwell liner). It had been pulled free while driving through some bumper deep roads last week.

Tomorrow I plan on installing the Sprint 520 injectors and new (to me) injector piping.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Got the silver Golf inspected. Failed. This is the one I just bought from a guy in Nebraska. The headlights were so frosted over that they were not bright enough to pass. And tinting on the front side windows is not allowed. So I replaced the headlights with a pair that I was intending on doing a couple of alterations to before installing on the car, but the failed inspection upset that time table a bit. Cut my left thumb while stripping the film off the windows. And I found that the injection timing is so retarded that VCDS will not graph it. The adjustment bolts are already at the end of travel, so whoever did the timing belt last (some dealer in Denver, I was told) really FUBARed that job. I also found lots of mounting ears on the bumper cover had been previously abused. Oh, well, I'm going to have to replace it anyway.

So I get this done and go for the reinspection, and I find that the shop sent the inspecting mechanic (I'm locked into that one unless I want to pay someone else again) home, even though I had called an hour earlier and got to the shop half an hour before it closed. Whatever chance that shop had to sell me other services or tires or what not just evaporated.

All in all, some things got done, but it wasn't a great day for productivity.

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
Took off the winter wheels and put on the summer wheels on both the son's car and the jetta. Even with the aid of an impact swapping 8 wheels and cleaning them all before install is tiring!! Maybe I'm just getting too old.

Also have on order THIS and THIS. Mostly because of the cool factor but also to be able to troubleshoot the fleet of 3 vehicles in the family now.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Didn't get the 205 injectors swapped in, but I did get the piping changed. Snow tires came off, summers now on both. Trailer hitch on the B5.5 as well as added wiring.

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
Sprayed at local carwash, then almost immediately it started to rain and light snow. Wiped interior down, fueled at Sunoco (B2 enhanced), finally got to use the Bosch Micro edge wipers, a little noisy sometimes but wiped windshield well.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Ookpic said:
Took off the winter wheels and put on the summer wheels on both the son's car and the jetta. Even with the aid of an impact swapping 8 wheels and cleaning them all before install is tiring!! Maybe I'm just getting too old.

Also have on order THIS and THIS. Mostly because of the cool factor but also to be able to troubleshoot the fleet of 3 vehicles in the family now.
Brad, I have that set up and if I had the time back I would have went with a scangaugeII, but it is cool.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Scrounged up a Funk switch! Will probably wire it up to w/m controller in the next week or so now that I know how it is to be wired...

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 6m "The White Knight"
I replaced my back-up switch (and now I can see when I back up at night)

I also replaced my driver's side Parking brake cable. After 3 clicks of the handle MAX BRAKING IS ENGAGED!

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
JASONP said:
Brad, I have that set up and if I had the time back I would have went with a scangaugeII, but it is cool.
Hey Jason. I tried both the scangaugeII and the knock off that Princess Auto sells and I didn't like either of them. I'll try it and see if I like it. I can always send it back if I don't.

Thanks

ssnapier

Veteran Member
TDI
86 Turbo Diesel (RIP), 2006 Jetta TDI
I got my phantom TPMS light to disappear thanks to Dana at Ross-Tech, she helped me sort out some very wacked out coding in my car. it is nice to not see that ugly yellow light glaring at me all the time!

I also adjusted my MPG and told my car that it has 16 inch wheels not 15 inch wheels. VAG-COM is a wonderful thing!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Powder Hound said:
Got the silver Golf inspected. Failed. This is the one I just bought from a guy in Nebraska. The headlights were so frosted over that they were not bright enough to pass. And tinting on the front side windows is not allowed. So I replaced the headlights with a pair that I was intending on doing a couple of alterations to before installing on the car, but the failed inspection upset that time table a bit. Cut my left thumb while stripping the film off the windows. And I found that the injection timing is so retarded that VCDS will not graph it. The adjustment bolts are already at the end of travel, so whoever did the timing belt last (some dealer in Denver, I was told) really FUBARed that job. I also found lots of mounting ears on the bumper cover had been previously abused. Oh, well, I'm going to have to replace it anyway.

So I get this done and go for the reinspection, and I find that the shop sent the inspecting mechanic (I'm locked into that one unless I want to pay someone else again) home, even though I had called an hour earlier and got to the shop half an hour before it closed. Whatever chance that shop had to sell me other services or tires or what not just evaporated.

All in all, some things got done, but it wasn't a great day for productivity.
Where'd you go? Vanor Tire usually does $20 inspections but they are usually packed by 9am in the morning, had decent sevice when my GF picked up a new set of tires last spring. I've had horrible service at VIP, but I should have expected that.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
740GLE said:
Where'd you go? ...
The VIP in Tilton, NH. Honestly, the actual mechanic was OK, it was the service writer and service manager whose heads were not visible due to having them stuffed up their anal sphincters.

I've not had problems at the VIPs in Concord and Manchester.

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
I installed H&R Sport Springs and installed my non winter setup of smoked 18" Kathoums with Continental ExtremeContact all-season high performance rubber and it totally changes the personality of the car.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
2003 Jetta TDI, 130,000 miles service interval @ 2k over. It was pretty routine. I

The snorkle screen was cleaned @ 8,000 miles. I was surprised that it was not as dirty as it normally is@ 5,000 miles.

The interesting thing on the tire rotation @ 20,000 miles (two rotations), the Toyo TPT's are on a consumption rate of 15,826 miles per 1/32 in wear. Normally it does wear faster when new (10/32 in) , and wears slower when approaching 2/32nd in. So if the pattern holds, and it is pulled down @ 2/32 to 2.5/32nds, the projected mileage is @ 118,695 miles & up.

Last edited: