Transmission case sealer question

h2oskibum

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Okay so I'm getting ready to put the case halfs back together after the peloquin differential swap and eurotuning 6 speed kit and I'm not finding the sealer recommendation in Bentley. What's an appropriate sealer or do I need to get the official VW sealer?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Loctite gasket maker, permatex ultra grey. Have used both without issue to make a gasket between transmission case halves.

just make sure the two mating surfaces are clean and dry and you'll be fine. Just a thin skin is enough - don't use too much.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
If you go to your local Autozone or whatever, Permatex sells a sealant specifically for gear oil. I used it when I put the Quaife in my transmission. As mentioned previously, just a thin film is all you need.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
If you go to your local Autozone or whatever, Permatex sells a sealant specifically for gear oil. I used it when I put the Quaife in my transmission. As mentioned previously, just a thin film is all you need.

Thats the same stuff I used when i put a Peloquin in mine this past January

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta

I went out of my way for the anaerobic vw sealer back in 2001 when I gernaded my G60. Since then I've torn apart 3-4 transmissions with regular ole etc without any issues. The transmissions almost seal without any sealant.

h2oskibum

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Thanks guys, I ended up going with the Permatex ultra grey and it seems to be a good substitute for the OEM sealer in fact it looks just like the stuff I cleaned off.