EA288 OIL - 507 Questions

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
OK, I am on a learning curve, so forgive me if I ask an already answered question (and yes, I did search).

2015 GSW TDI with the EA288.

Manual says to use a 507 spec oil. Got it. It also says it can be a 5w30 OR a 5w40 weight oil. I was noticing that most, if not all of the 507 spec oils are a 5w30 weight.

1.What oil is the best bang for my $$$ and is there any 5w40 507 spec oil out there?
2. Are there any 507 spec oils readily available from typical sources (e.i.; AutoZone, NAPA, Walmart (love'em), O'rielly's, etc. or do I have to order them or go to a (YUK) dealer?

Thanks.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My dealer actually has good prices on the oil. I wouldn't necessarily rule them out. Establish a good relationship with the parts guys now and maybe they can help you out sometime later.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Don't rely on the owners manual for accuracy. All 507.00 oils are 5W30 by design, as fuel economy is part of the oil spec and requires a 30 top number.

Dealers can have good prices on oil. And of course you can buy it online (hint, hint). We received a 20ft container of oil direct from Liqui-Moly yesterday. So we have plenty.

And if you haven't done it yet, the first oil change is free, if you bought a car that was not previously titled. Not sure about resold buybacks.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Try what I am doing. Buying up others spares when they sell their car back. Now that is cheap! I already have 4 DSG filter and fluid kits and 3 changes of oil so far.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Try what I am doing. Buying up others spares when they sell their car back. Now that is cheap! I already have 4 DSG filter and fluid kits and 3 changes of oil so far.
yup, thats what I do too, recently got a box ( 12L) of Mobil 1 ESP 507 for $30

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
2. Are there any 507 spec oils readily available from typical sources (e.i.; AutoZone, NAPA, Walmart (love'em), O'rielly's, etc. or do I have to order them or go to a (YUK) dealer?
Pep Boys sells Mobil one ESP, which is a good 507 oil. Its not a bad deal when it is on sale. However there are several excellent on-line sources that will ship the oil to your door for less money if you can wait a few days for UPS to deliver it.

Have Fun!

Don

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Our local VW dealer sells the Castrol 507.00 oil for about nine bucks a quart. Yeah, I could buy three five quart containers of the Total Quartz Ineo on Amazon cheaper, but this is pretty reasonable, so it's what I buy.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I troll Autozone, Pep Boys, O'Rielly's, Walmart, etc for a sale on Mobil-1 ESP 5W-30.

I also will catch a sale at NAPA and get a decent price on Liqui-Moly Top Tek 4200 5w-30.

:)