Fix done. (So-far, nothing to see here.)

ekiM

TDI
2012 Passat
Got it done on Tuesday. Wife has been driving it all week with no complaints or any observations negative or positive whatsoever. I took it for a drive earlier today and seemed the same as when we got the earlier software update, which mainly softened some of the low temp boost characteristics. Still has the same torquey scoot at the bottom of every gearchange. Only thing I was relatively certain was different was more engine sound at low speed throttle transitions from accel to decel. Once a steady state was reached, it abated as quickly as it became notable.

Topped the tank off to check mileage: 39, which is on par with the 38 average she gets in her 90% city driving pattern. Going on a trip this weekend, hope to confirm similar mileage as we always get (low-mid 40's with a relatively heavy foot)

Tyler_LBZ

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Good to know, ours goes in next week for the "fix" among a couple other recall fixes.

Hoping mileage and power don't get worse, we shall see.

jolvi1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Took wife's in Wednesday she didn't notice anything different. I put car in garage Thursday after her chores she did in town so all around town driving and MFI said 29.4 MPG average somewhat of a shock. Drove it today on 50 mile trip town and highway both back up to the 43.6 MPG range so not sure if it had to rethink itself or what but now all is good again. I know when I took it in they did the snowflap replacement but the NOX sensor was good so that was not needed. Our previous around town was in the 34-36 range so will keep track of that. I asked the dealer about the Gen 2 fix and he showed me his trip to Chicago and back on one that had been fixed and it averaged 46 at 80 MPH, I know our trip to Maine and down the east coast we never got below 44 thru the hills and such.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Mine is going in Monday morning. Before I do, I'm going to take a couple of acceleration runs with a stopwatch and do it again after the fix.
No seat of the pants comparison.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Why does everybody have to find something wrong? Stopwatch give me a break. If your car is1 tenth of a second slower @ 0 to 60 are you going to dump it. Do you want the car? What if when you purchased it, it was just like it is after the fix would you have purchased a Honda instead.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Why does everybody have to find something wrong?<snip>.
There is a reason. Research "placebo effect."*

NB: I'm not saying any individual is hallucinating changes in their vehicle after getting the fix. I'm just sayin'.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Mine is going in Monday morning. Before I do, I'm going to take a couple of acceleration runs with a stopwatch and do it again after the fix.
No seat of the pants comparison.
I'm curious to the outcome of your time trial. Please report your findings after. Thanks.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
took mine up a long 7% hill over the weekend, It used to hold 6th as I jumped in the left lane passing slow cars, now it shifts down to 4th @ 4400RPM and it seems to struggle more- and I had to smash it to the floor several times where as before it just rocketed up to 70 without a downshift and the MFI average was down in the teens... hmm

Last edited:

ekiM

TDI
2012 Passat
Just drove ~630mi over the past few days, around 480 of which of which was on the PA turnpike... the rest was on curvy mountain roads that had the shifter slid to the right the majority of the time.

Mileage: Highway was around 40 going out, 44.x coming back. Lots of construction both ways and traffic on the way out. In the 6hrs or so on the PA turnpike, I never experienced a downshift on any grade while maintaining speed in 6th. The tank netted me 39.5 upon fillup... the remaining 150mi had a wildly disproportionate amount of WOT ;)

Strangely enough, didn't notice a regen cycle the whole trip. I'm guessing it happened at speed, but never noted the crazy-speed fans we're used to... despite having the AC on the whole time.

Anyhow, good stuff: Hopefully increased DEF consumption is the only adverse effect.

boomer1

TDI
2013 TDI Passat
Just got my fix done this morning (June 21) and drove 50 miles back from the dealer. Observations: A little bit more "diesel" chatter with a bit more overall engine noise climbing hills, no noticeable loss of power (still went up steep hills in high gear), shift from third to fourth with the DSG occurs at slightly higher RPM than it used to. As far as mileage, it is hard to tell. I got stuck in a line of traffic with a flagman holding us up but it does not appear that there is a major drop in mileage that I can see. If I was buying this as a new car, I would be happy at the performance and driveability.

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
They accidentally sold me a "cheater" 2015 buy-back, and a week later had to take it back and do the Phase 1 fix. I notice no difference in drivability. I don't have enough data to compare fuel economy, but I can say that post-fix the fuel economy is phenomenal. I have zero complaints.

I'll probably accept the Phase 2 fix when it comes out and live with it until the warranty expires, then rip it all out.

-mickey

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Powerwise there does not seem to be much differnce. But the one thing I have noticed though is that the "estimated" fuel range in the MFD has dropped dramatically. Not that the mileage there is accurate anyway.

boomer1

TDI
2013 TDI Passat
Well, just finished a 550 mile trip from central PA to the Fairfax VA area. This included some periods of city driving in Fairfax. I filled up before leaving Fairfax and got 49.7 mpg (measured by fillup) on the way back. I drove at 65 mph the entire way. Before, a trip like this would have given me about 52-53 so I am seeing a small mileage penalty. But with the car on cruise, it ate every big hill it came to without once downshifting. So, all in all, not a real big deal. I did fill the DEF before I left and today when I got home; it is using about one milliliter per mile or a liter every thousand miles on a trip with mainly highway driving. I am not sure if this is any different from before.

UMRMiner98

TDI
2013 Passat
Had ours done a couple weeks ago. There is definetly more diesel sound and I will concur that that the mileage shown on the dash display has dropped dramatically. In our city/suburban driving it rarely shows more than 30 now when it would always show well over that before. My wife drives the car everyday so I don't have a real good comparison but she did say that it seems to drive a bit different. We still love the car and and if it annoys her I'll get a malone tune for it with the money I got for the fix. Only question is I wonder if the the DSG was reprogrammed. I don't really want to pay for the DSG and ECM tunes.

DonC

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI 2013 Passat TDI SE
Two weeks after the fix on my 2013 TDI SEL. No problems, in fact, trans. shifts smoother than before the fix. Perhaps a slight mpg decrease but won't know until a longer trip.

johnnyrotten

TDI
2014 PASSAT TDI SEL
I own a '14 Passat SEL with the CKRA engine in it and Had the fix done on June 26th. Received the check from VW for the full amount in one lump sum 29th by Fedex overnight!
Confused me a little as VW said it was a 2 part fix and I would get a percentage on the software update and the rest when the 2nd part of the fix happened.
Haven't really noticed any difference at all. 50k miles and lifetime average is 40.7MPG and trip mileage is around 42.5mpg. Been getting around 660miles per tank. Sometimes more sometimes less. And I usually fill up with 50 miles left.
The one thing that did happen was on our last road trip To Lake Havasu from Phoenix, on the way home we decided to take a cruise up to Oatman and then follow Rt. 66 for a ways. Everything good car always ran at 195 degrees straight up constantly, never varied up or down. When we got to Hackberry I noticed the CKE light came on and the water temp rose to the second line above 195 which I estimate to be around 225. Stopped and let her cool off tried to open coolant reservoir when she was hot(Stupid move)but was lucky and re sealed it before too much coolant escaped. When she cooled off she took 1.5 quarts water. The only thing I had. The rest of the ride home the temp rose to 225 and I shut A/C off until it cooled back to 195. Turned out there was a TSB on the heater core. Dealer replaced it at no charge.
Now I notice the temp rises to 234 according to my scan gauge and then cools back to 200.
Is this normal or is there something else involved here??
I'm ready to take her back to VW and have them do more diagnostics, but I would like to have some ammo when I do.
Any thoughts out there??
Sorry about the long story!

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold: 13 Passat SEL TDI
After my heater core was replaced last fall, it took a few drive cycles (warmup, drive; shut down, cool off overnight) to get the coolant level stabilized. I too had to add water a couple of times to my reservoir bottle. It has long since stabilized.

Regarding the Emissions fix, I had mine done on the 6th of July and have a few hundred miles on it now since then.
I noticed no immediate changes on the way home from the dealership's service department. And over the past couple of weeks, I have determined it pretty much drives, sounds, accelerates, shifts and even seems to get the same fuel economy as before the update.

I'm glad I kept mine!

johnnyrotten

TDI
2014 PASSAT TDI SEL
Update

Ok so here is what's going on now. Dealership flushed coolant system and used chemicals to wash out inners. They replaced the heater core. Car drove fine for a day then it went right back to where it was. Took it back to the Dealership and asked them to check in to it some more. After having the car for a few days they decided to change the thermostat and said it wasn't opening completely. Test drove the car and said still had a heat issue. So today they told me they were changing the EGR cooler, hopefully this will take care of the issue. What's left??? Radiator and Water pump?? Will find out, in the meantime enjoying the new Passat they gave me as a loaner....paid for by warranty. So far all has been taken care of under warranty. They are ordering the parts and hopefully will have it done and back to me by Thursday as We are leaving on a Road Trip Friday Am. Would hate to put 1000 miles on their loaner car........(yea Right) Will update soon!:cool: Oh and according to Scan Gauge 190........... on the gauge is between 173 and 200. Car has been running 210 to 239. And just think all this happened after they did the "Fix" and extended the warranty!! Yea Baby!

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
I do have a genuine beef with the software fix when I do a rolling stop at a stop sign I have had the engine stumble and seem like it was going to stall or at least rpm bog when getting on the gas when not completely stopped. I think Something is wrong with fuel/dsg mapping. They may have rushed to push this fix out the door without full and adequate testing. I expect (hope)a software update will address this issue. One other member has mentioned he has the same problem.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I do have a genuine beef with the software fix when I do a rolling stop at a stop sign I have had the engine stumble and seem like it was going to stall or at least rpm bog when getting on the gas when not completely stopped. I think Something is wrong with fuel/dsg mapping. They may have rushed to push this fix out the door without full and adequate testing. I expect (hope)a software update will address this issue. One other member has mentioned he has the same problem.
Not happening to me. Maybe there is something else wrong with your car.

johnnyrotten

TDI
2014 PASSAT TDI SEL
Update #2

Got the car back after VW had it for 10 days. So far thermostat changed out, heater core changed out, Egr cooler changed out, they looked at the water pump said it was fine and then they changed out one of the radiators all covered under extended warranty after the fix was done. So far car runs dead on 190.....but we haven't taken it on a road trip yet.

Now for a new issue.....when I first start the car up after it sits all night the A/C is turned on max ........but the A/C doesn't blow cold until the car warms up to 190????? I'm wondering if there is a bad sensor or the cooling fans aren't running as they should be. I know in the 02 jetta if the fans weren't running the A/C wouldn't work!

Any Ideas or Suggestions??:eek:

johnnyrotten

TDI
2014 PASSAT TDI SEL
update number 3

So I took the Passat to the dealer yesterday for the A/C issue. They did their diagnostics and found some metallic contamination in the compressor which was not allowing the valve to open in the compressor until the pressure built up. . Just received a phone call that the passat is done...........they changed the compressor and some other parts, flushed out the system and now they say it's working good. Thank GOD I purchased the extended warranty when I bought the car. They tell me there will be no charge to me for the repair. Will fill you in later on what they did and how the system is working. And there are only 52k on the odometer.