Looking to get back in the game

willyworm

TDI
2003 Jetta
I've been MIA for a while... ever since I sold my TDI Jetta to be precise. I currently drive a 2001 Chevy Tahoe and it's time for a change back to something with a diesel powerplant. I fell in love with my diesel when I had my Jetta and always wanted another one. I considered the Ram 1500 ecodiesel but they're so new they're out of my price range.

Been in sales for almost 2 years now and burn up a pretty good bit of road meeting with customers, etc. 15mpg ain't cutting it. I'm fond of the Q7 but price is a limiting factor so I'm looking in the 2007-2011 year range and my budget dictates it be less than $20,000.

In my search for a Q7 TDI what should I be mindful of? Any red flags or key items to look for or avoid? I've seen some out there in my range with around 100k miles, but they're half way across the country which making logistics to South Carolina difficult. I'd like to find something that did not live up north to avoid all the slat exposure on the winter roads...

I'm ignorant on these vehicles, so school me...Thanks for any insight y'all might can offer up.

IA DPE

TDI
2009 Jetta (sold back 08/18); 2014 Q5 (totaled 12/19😥); 2013 Dodge Cummins
In that Audi is offering Buy Backs on the Gen 1 Q7s you may have a hard time finding one available at a "reasonable" price.

FWIW I love my Gen 2 Q5. Regarding the Dodge 1500s do some research if considering one. A friend had a Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel (same engine?) and its reliability was abismal. Literally a running joke between us where it left him "this time."

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
When the dust settles, next year, a 2013 Q5 might be around $20k depending on mileage.

willyworm

TDI
2003 Jetta
In that Audi is offering Buy Backs on the Gen 1 Q7s you may have a hard time finding one available at a "reasonable" price.

FWIW I love my Gen 2 Q5. Regarding the Dodge 1500s do some research if considering one. A friend had a Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel (same engine?) and its reliability was abismal. Literally a running joke between us where it left him "this time."
I glanced at that headline, but didn't get that far into the article. What's the issue they are recalling 'em for?

Not really keen on the q5 because I'd have to sacrifice space. I have kids I tote around and prefer the space of the bigger SUV. I tote around some equipment for work inside my Tahoe, and then pull a boat to the river and lake all the time for hunting and fishing. So it would have to have a Class 3 receiver hitch. I would get a F250, but a 3/4 ton pickup is overkill for what I do. The 1/2 ton truck would be perfect, but once again I simply can't afford the Ram 1500, or the Nissan Titan with a Cummins at this point.

As to the reliability of the Ram, here's my opinion thus far. I see it being similar to what happened with Ford's 7.3L back in the 2000's. The EPA changed the emissions standard yet again, (screw the EPA btw) and the workhorse 7.3L Power Stroke was rendered unusable because it didn't meet the standard and they didn't have time or the inclination to modify it. It forced Ford's hand at scrambling to replace it, and they wound up with the Navistar 6.0. The 6.0 was a good engine... when you got all the EGR issues and other bugs worked out! Took em a few years, but they did it. Those first couple years were rough but the 6.0 was fine after that. My point is, I'm hoping that the Ram 1500 will be a reliable truck in the next few years when they get those bugs straightened out. I can wait that long though.

What kid of issues is your buddy having that's leaving him stranded?

IA DPE

TDI
2009 Jetta (sold back 08/18); 2014 Q5 (totaled 12/19😥); 2013 Dodge Cummins
What kid of issues is your buddy having that's leaving him stranded?
That thing died on him so many times he was x2 past the "Lemon Law." Jeep wouldn't take it back because the fifth time was just past warranty expiration. One time it died in front of the dealer as he was pulling away from getting it fixed- no exaggeration. Another when he was driving to training for his "forever job." He arrived in a car hauler. I think it was mostly emission control related but they never got it fixed. It met it's demise during the Houston floods. I accused him of searching Topographical Maps for days prior. ?

willyworm

TDI
2003 Jetta
So the Ram is out.

Still no words of wisdom on the late 2000's model q7 tdi's? I know someone on here has or had one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk