How to video: On car VE injection pump seal replacement video

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle

I know people are replacing the o-rings on these plugs with success, but I've been instructed by DFIS that these are single use plugs. They have a crush surface at the bottom of the plug that will not provide a proper seal on a 2nd install.
In the photo below you can see the flattened crushed area. On a new one that area comes to a point. Click the image for a larger view.
Also, the 10mm and 11mm pumps plugs have different part numbers.

Last edited:

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Dont have that but will try and get that soon

Last edited:

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Hey I'm gonna be in Portland in a couple weeks. Only for like 1 day though. Flying into seattle on the 7th and we are actually renting a '96 Passat TDI from a guy on relay rides. Gonna be driving around that whole area for a few days. Maybe I can swing by and say hi.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Ok, below are pics of the old and new plugs.

Part # is 2463461002 for an auto 11mm injection pump.
Part # is 2463452001 for a manual 10mm injection pump.

Torque is 68 ftlbs

You can see the flattened area where it seats against the cast iron of the pump head.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
I see. I wonder where all that metal goes:confused:
Maybe I'll pick up some of those plugs while I'm in town.
It schmooshes down. Its designed similarly to the idi injector seals. The steel plug is softer than the iron head, so it deforms against the iron making a perfect seal.

tdi78

TDI
2002 jetta 1999golf
any thoughts on how to set the hub in base timing . got a 99 golf that the hub was removed. there must be a way to set it back up some one had to put in on when it was built...

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
any thoughts on how to set the hub in base timing . got a 99 golf that the hub was removed. there must be a way to set it back up some one had to put in on when it was built...
Yes there is way to reset the timing if hub removed to pretty closed to factory setting, I do then all time when replacing shaft seal and rest of ip seals. But its going to be very difficult to explain on How to in words in thread compare to showing physically in person. If you still need help you can contact me via phone and I will try walk you thru on how to.

rmatc

TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI, Black
Just did the seal change on the injection pump. The video was excellent and made the job very easy. Thanks runonbeer, couldn't have done it without it.

Hibs

TDI
2001 TDI Jetta
Successfully changed my top/bottom/head seal with this walk through! It was very easy after following the video instructions to a "T". Thanks TDICLUB members!

barryfromvt

TDI
97 passat TDI, 96 passat TDI, 90 Jetta IDI, 85 Volvo 740 IDI turbo, plus parts cars for each of the above!
Hey Runonbeer , high five to me too, with many thanks to YOU !!

My leak was in the head seal only, so i left the QA alone. Took the advice of a link on DieselGeek's instructions about compressing the springs/moving the cam to the most-outward position, not by looking in from above as in the video here, but by removing the black 10 mm timing bolt in the center of the large brass bolt on the head, inserting a drill bit, and watching the bit while turning the crankshaft until the bit is farthest out. That worked.

The first time the job was slow and excruciating, but everything seemed to go as it should. Yet I had some nagging doubts: the head was a bit wobbly as i fiddled on various parts - not quite as firm as the video implied - and i did hear a little creak as i tested it by turning the crankshaft by hand when it was all back together. So after a worry-filled night, i got out the next morning, and - after Facet-pumping fuel in to prime - it turned right over. What a relief!!

But ... fuel was dripping out the head worse than before !!
Luckily, DieselGeek includes two seals in their delivery .. "Just in case", they say. Well, this was exactly why.

Today's work, a week later, was a lot quicker, naturally - the personal tools and techniques were all ready. And when i got the newly-installed seal out, the cause of the new leak was obvious. I had not taken enough care to make sure that the seal was well-seated all the way around, especially down on dead-bottom where it is hard to get because of tight clearance at the cold start solenoid (?). My impatience on that part had consequences: the seal had been pinched there as i eased the head back in to place, about 1/2 inch was sheared off to half its original diameter.

So, to make this long story short, any of you all who try this job for the first time, be sure to take a long thin tool (I used the back of the pick which i used to nab the seal to ease it up for cutting) and a good mirror, and be sure to gently work that seal in all the way around, including way down bottom where it's hard to get. Then you'll do the job only one time, not twice like me!!

Anyway, this time i had no worries about it again turning right over. And then: Looked underneath as it idled, and it stayed dry as a bone. Success!!

Thank you all, and DieselGeek, for such good instructions about this job.

Barry

runonbeer

TDI
Yeah you need a big mirror. Like the size of the side view on the car. Makes it very easy to see what is going on down on "the dark side" of the pump.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I have become an expert on this job. Not by choice, mind you. I learned that, despite using a mirror and taking great care to tighten the bolts slowly and in sequence, the green BOSCH replacement seal/O-ring has a high likelihood of getting pinched anyway.
It does sit loosely in the groove after having been stretched over the head. I tried "scruffing" it ever so slightly on top with two Q-tips to get a little more tension at the bottom, but it still must have become pinched at the bottom - leaking again.
After destroying two green seals, I am trying to get a Viton seal locally. I like dieselgeek, but $30 for shipping a $9 piece that fits into an envelope across the border is insane.

barryfromvt

TDI
97 passat TDI, 96 passat TDI, 90 Jetta IDI, 85 Volvo 740 IDI turbo, plus parts cars for each of the above!
Bosch viton seals vs DieselGeek seals

Yup. Your experience reminds me of what they said earlier. The Bosch viton seals seem to be designed for installation on the head from the internal side, directly to its groove via the head's cylinder ... hardly any stretching. DieselGeek's seal does a better job of returning to its original state, even after the extreme stretch over the boxy output end of the head (although, as seen in my own first failed attempt, it does need some coaxing to get there).

Anyway, i sent you a PM with an idea how to help get the seals for you.

Good luck,
Barry

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
I have become an expert on this job. Not by choice, mind you. I learned that, despite using a mirror and taking great care to tighten the bolts slowly and in sequence, the green BOSCH replacement seal/O-ring has a high likelihood of getting pinched anyway.
It does sit loosely in the groove after having been stretched over the head. I tried "scruffing" it ever so slightly on top with two Q-tips to get a little more tension at the bottom, but it still must have become pinched at the bottom - leaking again.
After destroying two green seals, I am trying to get a Viton seal locally. I like dieselgeek, but $30 for shipping a $9 piece that fits into an envelope across the border is insane.

Are you 100% certain it is not leaking from the head plug?

runonbeer

TDI
Get a bigger mirror. 3"x5". About the size of the side views. It helps you to see whether the seal has dropped into the groove on the bottom part of the head.

blueatlantic

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon(gone) 06 Jetta (gone) 09 JSW(gone) 03 Jetta (died) 03 Jetta Wagon 2012 JSW
Fixed the leaky injection pump today on my sisters 99 Beetle. More or less, everything went just as anticipated. Thanks for the time spent on the videos, they were super helpful!

H2O2H

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
There's gotta be a seal for the electrical plug, somewhere. :(

My OCD needs to do a complete job. I bought the DG kit and viton seals.
But, I only know of where 4 seals go (not counting oem vs viton), the rest???