www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old Yesterday, 17:16   #3226
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerlord View Post
"That's changing".
Answered exactly like a SolarCity sleazeball backpedaling to the homeowner about their PV's "resiliency" after the first major storm knocked out grid power.
Level with people. PV is already awesome. No need for half-truths.
Maybe its because its been along day but huh?
2003 JSW 1.8T future TDI, silver. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 17:23   #3227
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I wouldn't call his comments half-truths. The technology is constantly changing and improving, and that's great. In fact, that information could be very useful for someone looking to do a solar installation that has some functionality during a disruption of grid power. Instead of having to install battery storage (which really isn't a terrible idea), they can buy an inverter that can supply a small amount of power when the sun is shining. I know I'll be looking into those inverters.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:01   #3228
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 320wh/mi; ~90mpge

Quote:
"That's changing".
Answered exactly like a SolarCity sleazeball backpedaling to the homeowner about their PV's "resiliency" after the first major storm knocked out grid power.
Very classy.... any-who...

Not really 'backpedaling' but I did misspeak. I suppose saying that's 'changed' would have been more accurate since everything I mentioned is available NOW.

My personal favorite is the SPS from SMA. No batteries required. Every SMA string inverter <9kW (which is almost all residential inverters) can provide ~2kW off-grid. And they're actually cheaper than the previous generation. I paid ~$3k for a 7.7kW inverter that couldn't do anything on it's own w/o the grid ~4 years ago. The current version is ~$2k with SPS.

AC coupling is also new tech that has 'changed'. The great thing about AC coupling is it can be retrofitted to ANY grid-tie system to enable it to work off-grid. You can use your grid-tie inverter without the grid.

Last edited by nwdiver; Yesterday at 19:05.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:32   #3229
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

Sorta off topic, but PV usability varies by location (sun angle and individual lot). I'm at 43 degrees north and live in an oak forest. I have zero sun and the canopy is so high and dense I don't even know a 30 mph wind is blowing.
Old Yesterday, 20:36   #3230
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

43 N isn't a problem, I'm at 44 N and get lots of sunlight. The forest canopy is a hurdle. I've got acorns dropping on my roof as I write this, so I can sympathize. Trees aren't all bad though- some nice shade trees pretty much eliminate the need/want for a.c. in my area.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:36   #3231
Oilerlord
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post

My personal favorite is the SPS from SMA. No batteries required. Every SMA string inverter <9kW (which is almost all residential inverters) can provide ~2kW off-grid. And they're actually cheaper than the previous generation. I paid ~$3k for a 7.7kW inverter that couldn't do anything on it's own w/o the grid ~4 years ago. The current version is ~$2k with SPS.

AC coupling is also new tech that has 'changed'. The great thing about AC coupling is it can be retrofitted to ANY grid-tie system to enable it to work off-grid. You can use your grid-tie inverter without the grid.
Another half-truth. Yes, a Sunny-Boy SB7.7-1SP-US-40 does have an outlet that has the ability to supply those 2000 watts, but what you don't mention is that it's only useful when the sun is shining.

Again, the point you made was about PV's "resiliency" when grid power goes out. When is the last time a hurricane happened on a nice & pleasant sunny day? In the absence of solar energy, batteries ARE required.

AC coupling adds complexity & high cost. It ain't happening for $2K.

Most installed PV systems:

AC coupled system:

In terms of disaster planning for a grid outage, sometimes the simple solution is the best solution. Anyone can pick up a Honda 5.5kW generator for <$2000 that can power their entire house. No PV or sunshine required.

Malone Stage 2 / DSG Flash / Rawtek Exhaust.

Last edited by Oilerlord; Today at 09:39.
Oilerlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:22   #3232
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Quote:
Another half-truth. Yes, a Sunny-Boy SB7.7-1SP-US-40 does have an outlet that has the ability to supply those 2000 watts, but what you don't mention is that it's only useful when the sun is shining.

Again, the point you made was about PV's "resiliency" when grid power goes out. When is the last time a hurricane happened on a nice & pleasant sunny day? In the absence of solar energy, batteries ARE required.
??? How exactly was that a 'half-truth'? How would you have phrased it more accurately?

Quote:
..... the SMA secure power supply innovation can work without batteries (during the day of course)
Yes... my point was that PV adds 'resiliency' when the grid is down. Of the two... sunshine or gasoline... which does PR currently have more in abundance? The hurricane is over... many people won't have power for months.

Yes... until recently it was cost prohibitive to get a PV system that could offer anything without the grid. That's changed.

Quote:

AC coupled system:

That's one way to do it... another is to use the off-grid inverter just like some people use generators to power-up their house; Open the main breaker and plug the inverter into the dryer outlet. No second panel. No added complexity. But no automatic backup either. My AC coupled system cost ~$3k.

Last edited by nwdiver; Today at 10:31.
Old Today, 12:03   #3233
Oilerlord
Veteran Member

Quote:
Of the two... sunshine or gasoline... which does PR currently have more in abundance? The hurricane is over... many people won't have power for months.
Of the two, PV modules on the roof or a gasoline generator in the basement with an emergency supply of gasoline...which one would have survived that hurricane in PR?

Of the two, a $30,000 battery-backed up, AC coupled PV system or a $300 gas generator...which one do you think the average resident in PR can afford?

Malone Stage 2 / DSG Flash / Rawtek Exhaust.
Oilerlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:31   #3234
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Quote:
Of the two, PV modules on the roof or a gasoline generator in the basement with an emergency supply of gasoline...which one would have survived that hurricane in PR?
Of the two, a $30,000 battery-backed up, AC coupled PV system or a $300 gas generator...which one do you think the average resident in PR can afford?
If the roof survives the solar panels will survive. If the roof goes so does the generator in the basement.

I'm not proposing buying a $30k PV system for backup. My point is that 'energy resiliency' is another reason to buy a $30k PV system that pays for itself anyway... but you already knew that...

Quote:
How about taking your own advice... how much good is a generator w/o gas?

Old Today, 14:29   #3235
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Looks like those folks didn't prepare in advance.

My generator in our Houston home is fired with pipeline natural gas......and it did the job last month. That's the standard hook up here if one is serious about having power during hurricanes. Or just go north and do some hotel time.
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:32   #3236
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:

That's one way to do it... another is to use the off-grid inverter just like some people use generators to power-up their house; Open the main breaker and plug the inverter into the dryer outlet. No second panel. No added complexity. But no automatic backup either. My AC coupled system cost ~$3k.
That's a great idea, never thought about that.
Old Today, 14:33   #3237
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Slightly side stepping, anyone have a link to some good, flexible, reasonably priced solar panels? I want to get some for my Toy Hauler to keep my battery's topped up.
Old Today, 14:53   #3238
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Looks like those folks didn't prepare in advance.
My generator in our Houston home is fired with pipeline natural gas......and it did the job last month.
I don't think that's an option in PR

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovan+tdi View Post
Slightly side stepping, anyone have a link to some good, flexible, reasonably priced solar panels? I want to get some for my Toy Hauler to keep my battery's topped up.
For portability if you want 100w or more I'd go with this...

This is a bit cheaper but not at as portable...

If you want >500w it would probably be worth the investment of getting a MPPT vs a PWM charge controller.
Old Today, 17:17   #3239
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
I don't think that's an option in PR
For portability if you want 100w or more I'd go with this...
This is a bit cheaper but not at as portable...
If you want >500w it would probably be worth the investment of getting a MPPT vs a PWM charge controller.
Thanks, I'll check those out. I don't need more than 500 watt's, or at least I don't think I do. Its just to top up the battery's during the day when camping without hookups. I have 2 110 amp/hr agm deep cycle battery's, only used for lights, tv at night for a movie and the furnace fan.