16 Jetta TSI

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Wait, are you doing 5.85L / 100 on the 1.8tsi? Cause that's awesome
Yep. Mostly following speed limits. This tank a bit higher than the last (5.65) because I did 200 km on the autoroute for the tank which was a total of 631.7 km, at 110 instead of my usual 105.

Very pleased with the car after 2 years. Zero issues other than a bit of wonkiness from Apple CarPlay until they updated the software, now works just fine. I drove my TDI at the same sorts of speeds and would average about 4.8-5 in summer.

I'm now up to 48k km, just nicely broken in; my wife is up to close to 5k km on her new wagon.

I know my son is really eager for me to be ready to trade. I want to upgrade to a wagon next time since we are going to have two homes soon, one in the west and one in the east, so we'll leave one car here and one at the other end of the country. Both need to be wagons if we do that.

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
That's fantastic! I signed the papers on a Wolfsburg Jetta with the 1.4 so I'm really excited to hear you're getting that kind of consumption on a 1.8 even. I should have no issues matching the alh if i try as it's currently doing around 5.2L/100km.

As for jbright, I'm not getting that much better on my alh TDI so that's really impressive! Don't know what to do with my TDI though, don't want to get rid of it... :(

Like i was tearing up thinking about selling it... I've had it for 9 years almost, it's been more than a car to me

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Like i was tearing up thinking about selling it... I've had it for 9 years almost, is more than a car to me
I can commiserate.

My 1/2-hour drive to buyback site was emotional. The torquey diesel never purred smoother. Same for clutch and 6M. This wagon was ME!

But the entire DEAL - - - (credit cards, buyback figure, a '17 Jetta 1.4/5M for $14.3 OTD, the pending Bosch $350) - - - allowed my head to outvote my heart.

HPFP + DPF concerns also factored.

best to all,

ez

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
Owned my 16 Jetta 1.8t Sport for a year now. 23,800 miles with a Fuelly average of 35.6 mpg. Enjoying the car. Good combination of performance, fuel economy, comfort and handling.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Just drove our 2017 Jetta S 1.4 (automatic) from Texas to Connecticut (1800 miles) this week and averaged 38.9 MPG. Mostly cruise set at 72 to 75.

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
Thinking about replacing my beloved ALH tdi and have been kicking around that exact car (1.8 Sport Jetta) however if there is no stick there is no deal....
How is the performance compared to the diesel??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Thankfully you can still get a Jetta S with the proper number of pedals.

I would say the engine is comparable to an ALH in some respects.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
Just drove our 2017 Jetta S 1.4 (automatic) from Texas to Connecticut (1800 miles) this week and averaged 38.9 MPG. Mostly cruise set at 72 to 75.
Almost 39 MPG at 72-75..................

I would think - based on the above - 45 MPG at 60-65 would be a no brainer.

Thanks

ez

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Almost 39 MPG at 72-75..................
I would think - based on the above - 45 MPG at 60-65 would be a no brainer.
Thanks
ez
I just finished the trip today. Just over 4000 miles and an average of 40.15 MPG hand calculated from gas purchase receipts.

This trip included two full days in town traffic, two runs into NYC, a run down the I-95 Corridor to Washington DC in moderate traffic, running back to Texas on 1-85 and I-20 with the cruise set at 75 MPH 95% of the time and the A/C on for the last 2000 miles. I beat the car pretty hard and had a few runs over 100 MPH.

Not bad for a car that now has 6,900 miles on it. Not broken in yet.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
I just finished the trip today. Just over 4000 miles and an average of 40.15 MPG hand calculated from gas purchase receipts.

Not bad for a car that now has 6,900 miles on it. Not broken in yet.
AJ, you're continuing to make my day!!

At 2450 miles and 8 fill-ups, I reckon my fuel numbers - with further break-in miles - will start to edge even closer to the bar set by my 2013 JSW TDI 6M.

Again, thanks for providing this great to know data.

ez sends

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My local dealer is advertising new 2017 1.4T Jetta S manuals for $12,995. That seems like a pretty good deal.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd say so. Best I've seen around here is 14k.
$12995 - around here - would work out to circa 14295 out the door..............

That is $43.00 under what I wrote a check for in order to drive home a 2017 VW.

(1.4 Jetta turbo/5M bottom feeder of the line)

But #1 in fuel numbers - - - about 90 per cent of my bar-setting diesel vagon.

Holidays best to all,

ez

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
So a year later are these engines holding up? A coworker has a 2016 Jetta 1.4t with 30K miles and I can probably get it for a good price as he wants to sell and the trade in value is terrible. Stripper one with no hole in the roof and proper manual transmission. Its tempting me...

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
So a year later are these engines holding up? A coworker has a 2016 Jetta 1.4t with 30K miles and I can probably get it for a good price as he wants to sell and the trade in value is terrible. Stripper one with no hole in the roof and proper manual transmission. Its tempting me...
I'd buy one again in a heartbeat. It was a great car for me, although I got rid of it before 20k and can't attest to its longevity.

oilhammer

TDI
I have a few that come it here with over 50k, one is in the Jetta Hybrid. They've had no issues so far.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
They're going to show up in the Golfs and Sportwagens for the 2019 MY. With 6-speed manual, or 8-sp automatic (same set up as the '19 Jetta); 4MOTION/Alltrack wagons will stick with the 1.8 TSI. Great engine for a Golf hatch IMHO, should be as close to TDI fuel efficiency as can be had in a post-dieselgate non-hybrid. Might be a tad underpowered for a loaded GSW though.

TDICube

Veteran Member
2017SE manual with 40000 troublefree miles.
I was using a 5w30 507.0 oil.
The 505.01 5w40 oil is cheaper.
Will a 5w40 505.01 oil work?
TDICube

TDICube

Veteran Member
One thing I did notice with the 1.4L engine is that there seems to be a strain on the engine with A/C running and engine idling.
Has anyone else heard this?
TC

oilhammer

TDI
It would stand to reason there would be, as the heat load from the car's cabin will be the same no matter which engine.

But, like all modern Volkswagens (and many others), the variable displacement compressor will back off its stroke once the heat has been mostly removed from the cabin. Plus, engine demand will request this load vary as necessary.

I would think that the 1.4L's torque output at idle speed is probably pretty low. So even at a lessened commanded stroke, the compressor is still a pretty significant load for the little engine with no boost.

Yet another reason I like the diesels.

Also, the 1.4L requires a 502.00 spec oil. 507.00 is for CR TDIs, 505.01 is for PD TDIs, however most all 5w40 505.01 rated oils are also 502.00 (as well as 505.00, for the VE TDIs).

TDICube

Veteran Member
I was looking at my oil choice: it is a 504.00 /507.00 oil.
Is 504.00 backwards compatible with 502.00 spec?
That is neither here nor there but just for information.

Looking forward, I am going to go with a 502.00 spec oil in the future.
Oil Hammer, do you recommend a 5w40 or 5w30 oil?
I have been running 5W30.

BTW I have been going Pentosin HP II 505.01 in 2006 TDI ~2000,000 miles without any issues after your endorsement!
Thanks again,
TDI Cube

oilhammer

TDI
I would use a 502.00 spec 5w40 oil. So the same Pentosin HP2 will work fine in the 1.4L, that is all we use here.

TDICube

Veteran Member
Sounds like a plan: Pentosin for my VW fleet.
Oilhammer, you should get paid by Pentosin for your endorsements. Your oil endorsement is way- more meaningful then Arnold Palmer's Penzoil commercials.
Thanks for quick response,
TC

oilhammer

TDI
I have no real brand preference, I was always a Castrol guy myself from the air-cooled days, but when Castrol USA decided to play games with product availability, we switched here at the shop. Pentosin came in highly recommended by others, and we'd used their other products (coolant, steering and brake fluids, etc.) for many years, so...

Although right now our source seems to have nothing of theirs for the newest 508.00 0w20 that some of the newer ones spec, so... :confused: