GTD in 2015?

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Send it over, it would sell. Does the 4 motion have any more ground clearance than the TDI? That would be my biggest concern. Also, has VWOA or VW of Canada ever sold a 4 motion TDI combo?
You can order any VW with a "Schlechtwegefahrwerk", which is a little suspension lift. (20mm in the Mk7 Golf) The Passat Alltrack comes with it standard, for example. For the Golf it's 430€ iirc.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
In the past I've heard that the next refresh of the Tiguan should have a diesel available. The problem is finding a place for the urea tank, which they can't currently fit anywhere. With a Tig remodel they'll design in a place for it. 2015 was the date I heard for the next body refresh, so we'll just have to wait and see.
Apparently, the next gen Tiguan will be made in the Chattanooga alongside the North American Passat. It will be at this time that the TDI version will be released for the North American market.

Then again, like always, VW may decide to screw us over on that one and not release the TDI version. In that case, forget everything I just said...

MrVermin

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Damn that's a hot looking car. I'll just have to wait 10 years for one to come down to my price range lol. $29k Euro = what close to $40k Can?
I'm like you......make a mental note of it and 10 years later, if one pops up with blown engine/transmission, I pick it up for next to nothing. That's how I ended up with my 911 last summer.

clamb

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon; 2010 Golf Wagon
911...? Pics?! :D

The gtd looks really sweet. The GTI will be very tempting!

WeLikeBananas

Veteran Member
TDI
Future JSW
Actually, word is we just might get it in N.A.

But I don't care - I want a GTD Sportwagen, which would indeed be the perfect car (for me, at least).

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
911...? Pics?! :D
It's a '99 996 Carrera 2, 6speed. Engine wasn't running but lucked out and it was repairable. $5000 for the car, + $1500 for Duty, taxes and to tow it home, + $2000 in parts to fix it and get it on the road. Aaron saw it last summer when the engine was still out.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Very nice! Unfortunately it probably won't be available in the us... ever. :(

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
I'm in the minority when I say for North America, VW would have done much better importing the all motion Golf than adding another nameplate with the Tiguan.
Ditto the Scirocco GTD

algaediesel

TDI
mine = 2000 Jetta (500k+ kms), her's = 2003 Jetta Wagon
If it comes to North America, I really hope they don't sell it just with an auto box. Us retro-grouches know that real driving involves three pedals.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Us retro-grouches know that real driving involves three pedals.
Fountain pens are quaint, too. ;)

Sometimes technology is good. My first car ('77 AMC Matador, the cop-car-body one, 360 2-bbl.) was an automatic, but the rest have all been manuals. But I'm keen to see where this automated-clutch technology goes. When supercars are even using them instead of manuals, that says something. Even though I am fine driving a manual, I'm half-tempted to get a DSG next time.

I'm glad I can flip a light switch, and not have to fire up the kerosene lantern. Or flip on an electric blanket, or turn up the thermostat, rather than take coals from the fire, throw them in the bed warmer pan, and pre-warm the bed for a cold winter's sleep. :cool:

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
If it comes to North America, I really hope they don't sell it just with an auto box. Us retro-grouches know that real driving involves three pedals.

Agreed as well, manual all the way.

I would love to see this vehicle stateside...sign me up.

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
Fountain pens are quaint, too. ;)

Sometimes technology is good. My first car ('77 AMC Matador, the cop-car-body one, 360 2-bbl.) was an automatic, but the rest have all been manuals. But I'm keen to see where this automated-clutch technology goes. When supercars are even using them instead of manuals, that says something. Even though I am fine driving a manual, I'm half-tempted to get a DSG next time.

I'm glad I can flip a light switch, and not have to fire up the kerosene lantern. Or flip on an electric blanket, or turn up the thermostat, rather than take coals from the fire, throw them in the bed warmer pan, and pre-warm the bed for a cold winter's sleep. :cool:
You have a point there.
I look at it different way. For me it's like getting a Big Mac vs. staying home and doing your own BBQ. Yes, the first one is fast and it can be tasty, but the second option is the full experience of making your own fresh food any way you want it. Each to his own, except many automakers figure out they now the best what's good for you. I just want an options.

algaediesel

TDI
mine = 2000 Jetta (500k+ kms), her's = 2003 Jetta Wagon
For me it's like getting a Big Mac vs. staying home and doing your own BBQ. Yes, the first one is fast and it can be tasty, but the second option is the full experience of making your own fresh food any way you want it.
Good analogy. Additionally, I enjoy the challenge of three pedals. There's no fun in fountain pens. They're just annoying. Shifting gears is an enhancement to the driving experience I'll only give up when I can't physically do it any more or when manufacturers stop offering it.
Manual transmissions are the one and only thing I like about NASCAR. With how pervasive it is in the US, it surprises me somewhat that manuals haven't had a renaissance in the market most coveted by manufacturers.