Sometimes you just can't dodge the bullet

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Just catching up on this news. Sorry to hear of this accident. It seems that once again, a well-designed car performed well to protect you and your lovely. The soreness must not be any fun, but I hope a brew and some chocolate ease the pain once the painkillers are no longer needed. As always, the best to you and I hope that justice comes to the youngster.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Just catching up on this news. Sorry to hear of this accident. It seems that once again, a well-designed car performed well to protect you and your lovely. The soreness must not be any fun, but I hope a brew and some chocolate ease the pain once the painkillers are no longer needed. As always, the best to you and I hope that justice comes to the youngster.
Seeing our car after the accident I'm amazed that my wife and I survived such an impact. Unless you've experienced a head on crash before you can't even begin to imagine what it's like. It's like nothing I've ever experienced before. Hard to put into words.

As far as justice,only time will tell. Seems like justice doesn't get served much in our society today.

Last edited:

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Hey Dwiesel,

Sorry to hear about the crash and hope that you both get well soon. That is quite a wreck I must say. Good thing it wasn't side on at that speed.

I was in a couple bad accidents when I was younger and remember them like they happened yesterday. You'll be a while healing up for sure.

Cars can be replaced, you and your wife cannot. Go buy a lotto ticket;).

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks, Rembrant
Yes, an event like that will stick with me forever. I've traveled that road thousands of times over the years. I will never look at it in the same way again.

If you make it down here on your motorcycle,be extra careful. Seems like someone is left of center or running stop signs and red lights every time you drive somewhere.

Drive safe,
dweisel

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I know this has been mentioned, but get a good dash camera with a SD card which copies the instant footage. If the camera gets damaged in the wreck, the SD card will have the video right up until impact. Nothing like evidence.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Glad to hear the both you and the missus are ok. I know at our age that it takes more time to heal, but you will get there.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know this has been mentioned, but get a good dash camera with a SD card which copies the instant footage. If the camera gets damaged in the wreck, the SD card will have the video right up until impact. Nothing like evidence.
Yes, with the way a lot of people drive in our area, a dash cam would definitely be a good idea.

On a side note. We got a copy of the accident report today. Only thing the other driver was cited for was: LEFT OF CENTER
Nothing else. No wreckless driving,no failure to maintain control,no hazardous driving , no failure to keep in the proper lane or driving on the wrong side of the road.

I guess charging him with more than one offense would have been too much.

Yeah , let's just make him sit on the sad chair for 1/2 an hour.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Yes, with the way a lot of people drive in our area, a dash cam would definitely be a good idea.
On a side note. We got a copy of the accident report today. Only thing the other driver was cited for was: LEFT OF CENTER
Nothing else. No reckless driving, no failure to maintain control, no hazardous driving , no failure to keep in the proper lane or driving on the wrong side of the road.
I guess charging him with more than one offense would have been too much.
Yeah , let's just make him sit on the sad chair for 1/2 an hour.
That is truly sad. Are you noting similarly lenient charges in your area for other accidents? I'm sure I would be enraged, but maybe your pain meds are keeping you a bit calmer. I truly hope for the best for you and your wife.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That is truly sad. Are you noting similarly lenient charges in your area for other accidents? I'm sure I would be enraged, but maybe your pain meds are keeping you a bit calmer. I truly hope for the best for you and your wife.
Well, I think a lot of it hinges on paperwork. Law enforcement seem to over look things in order to cut down on their paperwork. Classic example: a friend of mine jokingly told a cop one morning while we were getting coffee. Arrest this man! My friend was referring to me. The cop responded. NO, I'll have a bunch of extra paperwork to do.

Right then and there I now understood why cops let so many traffic violations slip by even when it happens right in front of them. Sad to say,but that's where we're at with enforcement. No enforcement,no consequences,no law.

The pain meds are helping,but I'm in a state where I seem to easily get aggravated.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Well, I think a lot of it hinges on paperwork. Law enforcement seem to over look things in order to cut down on their paperwork. Classic example: a friend of mine jokingly told a cop one morning while we were getting coffee. Arrest this man! My friend was referring to me. The cop responded. NO, I'll have a bunch of extra paperwork to do.

Right then and there I now understood why cops let so many traffic violations slip by even when it happens right in front of them. Sad to say,but that's where we're at with enforcement. No enforcement,no consequences,no law.

The pain meds are helping,but I'm in a state where I seem to easily get aggravated.
The anger/aggravation will help you in your negotiations with the INS company, when they total out your car ;-) Make sure you use RETAIL bluebook as your base for the car. (What dealers would retail the car to an individual - not private party procurement.)

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The anger/aggravation will help you in your negotiations with the INS company, when they total out your car ;-) Make sure you use RETAIL bluebook as your base for the car. (What dealers would retail the car to an individual - not private party procurement.)
Thanks. I've been searching for and making notes on similarly equipped 2011 Jetta Sedans,so I'll have some numbers at hand when it comes to settling for the car.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
When my daughter impaled her corolla on some big dodge's trailer hitch, the insurance company was very good with due diligence in pricing the car. It was about 14 years old but had just cracked the 100K miles mark. He said he expanded his search out to 500 miles to find any sales in it's mileage range for comparison. We ended up about the same as the VW buyout. Owned the car almost ten years and got back all but about $200 from the original purchase price.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When my daughter impaled her corolla on some big dodge's trailer hitch, the insurance company was very good with due diligence in pricing the car. It was about 14 years old but had just cracked the 100K miles mark. He said he expanded his search out to 500 miles to find any sales in it's mileage range for comparison. We ended up about the same as the VW buyout. Owned the car almost ten years and got back all but about $200 from the original purchase price.
We'll just have to wait and see how it all washes out.