2005.5 jetta issues white smoke

1998triton

TDI
2005.5 Jetta tdi
Howdy,

i have a 2005.5 jetta. went to start it one morning and it was missing/surging at idle with white smoke(fuel smell).. it will stumble so bad it will shut off and wont pull nothing. so low power is definitely there. i am new to tdi world but not the diesel world

any suggesting on what i can look for?

i just received my vag com from Ross-Tech. no engine or transmission codes

thanks

1998triton

TDI
2005.5 Jetta tdi
i will look at he turbo tomorrow. why would a blown turbo have a fuel smell instead of burning oil smell?

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The turbo failure can cause internal damage to the valves, etc. That would lead to fuel coming out the rear.

1998triton

TDI
2005.5 Jetta tdi
After data logging some data. I found my maf bad. You could unplug it and the car would run great. Put a new one on car still does the issue. Now it's blowing my cac pipe off at intercooler to egr valve. This car is getting to me

1998triton

TDI
2005.5 Jetta tdi
narongc73 i really appreciate your help and input

i found the egr valve stopped plum up. only had about 1 inch hole. cleaned it and intake and it runs like a champ now

thank you so much

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No problem. Good job with the egr valve. I deleted it not long ago to avoid problems that might come up such as yours. The less I have to worry about the better.

1998triton

TDI
2005.5 Jetta tdi
Yes that is next on the list. What kit did you go with and did you do you cooler also? What tunes?

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Got one off ebay with 2 block off plates. Kept the cooler intact, only blocked the exhaust gases. Stage 1.5 with egr delete.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
We can also run the EGR valve dynamically if you do a lot of short commutes and want to help reach operating temp quicker ;) That way the EGR will function like stock until your car warms up, and then turn off for the rest of the drive. Helps with mileage and emissions before reaching operating temp, and reaching said temp faster = less engine wear.

1998triton

TDI
2005.5 Jetta tdi
We can also run the EGR valve dynamically if you do a lot of short commutes and want to help reach operating temp quicker ;) That way the EGR will function like stock until your car warms up, and then turn off for the rest of the drive. Helps with mileage and emissions before reaching operating temp, and reaching said temp faster = less engine wear.
if i just block off the egr cooler. would i have to have a full egr delete tune or will the egr dynamic tune work?

1998triton

TDI
2005.5 Jetta tdi
also if i buy an unlocked flashzilla with no tunes will it still work if i bought tunes from yall?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
If the EGR is blocked off then it won't be going back into the intake, so you have to delete it.

Yes if the device is unlocked it will work with another vehicle.