HELP! 2012 Sport wagen message "key not in range"..

keyfarms

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
My 12 wagon tdi started this afternoon then suddenly died, with the cluster message key not in range.. I have an appointment for my buyback on this Tuesday the 28th... any suggestions? It has done something similar in the past a few years ago, but the message then was immobilizer.. I had it towed to dealer and they had to reprogram the keys...
I have vagcom ,, can I reprogram them? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Allen.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
How old is the key fob battery? Might need a new one.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
My 12 wagon tdi started this afternoon then suddenly died, with the cluster message key not in range.. I have an appointment for my buyback on this Tuesday the 28th... any suggestions? It has done something similar in the past a few years ago, but the message then was immobilizer.. I had it towed to dealer and they had to reprogram the keys...
I have vagcom ,, can I reprogram them? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Allen.
In no order of importance, no your vagcom can not program keys. That is a special deal only dealers can do.

As far as your issue, do you have push button start? Do you have old fashion turn the key only start? Either way they have a chip in the key. It needs to be near or in the car. The ECU sends a signal to the key and it responds. If the chip does not respond it does not start and run. The chip is not battery powered but a passive transponder from my understanding.

From Wiki:
"The process of key identification is similar in most automotive transponder systems. Once a key is inserted into the ignition lock and turned to one of the 'on' or 'run' positions, the induction coil that is mounted around the ignition lock sends out an electromagnetic field of energy. The windings in the transponder chip absorb that energy and power the electronic chip to emit a signal. The signal is usually an alphanumeric sequence which is considered the identification code. The induction coil reads the signal and sends it to some type of computer device to recognize the signal. If the signal is recognized as being already in the computer’s memory, the signal is accepted and other electronic components in the vehicle are set into motion to allow the starting of the vehicle or the continuation of the engine running." You may have a bad chip...try different key.

The key fob battery is for the remote control, door locks. Again the immobilizer chip does not require a battery, as the immobilizer chip is passive. The valet key has a chip and no battery. You don't need the fob with the valet key. If the key fob battery is low it gives you key fob battery low message on the dash MFD. So if desperate put a new battery in it, or at least use a volt meter and check the voltage.

Try and disconnect the car battery for +10 minutes. Then reconnect. You will get some warnings at first start that will clear after you drive a very short distance.

Last edited:

keyfarms

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Thanks guys.. yes I have tried both keys, and I have the old style turn key ignition. I have also replaced the key fob battery.. guess I am hauling the car to vw tomorrow morning...

vincentld

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
On the older TDI's sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting battery would reset system. Might be worth a shot. Some also say touch terminal together after disconnected to clear.