5th gear gone

tbeiler

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
2000 jetta tdi manual 5 spd with 485 k -
Cannot get the manual shifter into 5th gear, been like this for over a week. Luckily mostly city driving is needed, but 4th gear sure gets a workout when on the Xpressway.
Twice over the last number of months couldn't get the shifter into 3rd or 4th gear, only into 1st and 2nd, but got all gears back after a few minutes and haven't had an issue until last week when 5th gear went.
The shifter has seemed quite sloppy lately and sometimes have to fight a bit to get it into any gear.
Any opinions on what the issue is.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Probably something simple like a worn shifter weight. I have seen and repaired a few over the years. If the nut on top of the shift weight gets loose, the splines wear out and the weight gets sloppy. Sometimes a new shift tower shaft is needed, but sometimes it can be fixed with a simple weight swap. Pop the hood and give all the linkage parts a good jiggle to see what's worn.

Last edited:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Here is a picture of one I repaired many years ago. You can see the shiny area under the washer. That is the weight wobbling around on the shaft and rubbing against the washer.

Here are the splines of the weight showing signs of wear:

The shaft splines also had some wear:

A temporary fix can be done by adding a washer to the top of the weight. It may be enough to hold it tightly to the shaft. Because there is a shoulder on the shaft, the nut will bottom out on the shoulder and won't be able to tighten more. The washer will act as a shim and put pressure on the weight preventing it from wobbling. Or, you can do what I did and drill and tap a hole in the side of the weight and insert a set screw to hold it tight:

Last edited:

tbeiler

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Hey Adam, sounds like a deal to me. If you could troubleshoot the issue for me that would be great. I can do Saturday am anytime, but need to be back home by 1 pm (for work of course). Let me know what kind of beers you like, the LCBO has a lot of good choices.
Sunday could work as well if you're busy in the a.m.

Last edited:

tbeiler

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Looks like mine is a 2000, thanks for the info.

Adam could be there for 9 am, possibly earlier, just need to go to bank to sign some papers for 8 am. Does that work for you.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The linkage is sloppy - the shift shaft bearing in the top of the housing is worn out - lots of play.

However, even when manipulating the golf club manually, it still wont go into 5th - I suspect there may also be something going on in the end cover as well.

Couldn't take off the end cover due to weather and a lack of transmission fluid - stay tuned.

yhmtdi

TDI
'01 Golf TDI, '00 Golf 1.8T
It's probably just the shift tower bearings have fallen to the bottom and are blocking 5th gear. Eventually 3rd and 4th will disappear too. I've seen this before on my TDI. Also bought a 2000 Golf 1.8 for cheap because only 1st and 2nd gear worked and the owner thought the transmission was gone. Put in a used shift tower from Pic'n Save for $35 and it's been fine for over 10,000km.

Mark

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Probably something simple like a worn shifter weight. I have seen and repaired a few over the years. If the nut on top of the shift weight gets loose, the splines wear out and the weight gets sloppy. Sometimes a new shift tower shaft is needed, but sometimes it can be fixed with a simple weight swap. Pop the hood and give all the linkage parts a good jiggle to see what's worn.
This just happened to me, have someone move the shifter around, and observe the nut on top the shift weight - if the nut moves and the Centre shaft doesn't, you need one, think we have a spare here if that's the case lmk.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Tony, sorry for the late reply. Got busy doing some roofing this weekend, didn't want to commit until I knew I would get the roof done.

Done now (repairs - need to replace this summer). Can you live with fourth until next weekend?

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Tony, sorry for the late reply. Got busy doing some roofing this weekend, didn't want to commit until I knew I would get the roof done.

Done now (repairs - need to replace this summer). Can you live with fourth until next weekend?
Hey Adam, let me know if you want a hand with the roof. Need to do mine soon too. Have a friend who can get good prices on shingles.

tbeiler

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Hey Adam, no problem with the weekend, Saturday early am to early afternoon works for me. Sunday am could also work, unless you are a religious kind of guy. Just let me know time that is best for you and I'll be there. Regards, Tony

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Hey Adam, let me know if you want a hand with the roof. Need to do mine soon too. Have a friend who can get good prices on shingles.
Home Depot seems to be the cheapest on GAF "architectural" shingles at $21 and change per bundle - going to call Hermans building supply in Kitchener and see if they are willing to match.

Timberline HD is the way I'm going to go methinks. I plan on doing it in sections one weekend at a time. I have an issue paying a roofing company twice the cost of the shingles in labour - I've seen several houses done in my neighbourhood in the last few months - not very impressed with the quality of the workmanship for the price.

Hey Adam, no problem with the weekend, Saturday early am to early afternoon works for me. Sunday am could also work, unless you are a religious kind of guy. Just let me know time that is best for you and I'll be there. Regards, Tony
Tony - Beer is my religion. :D Have to travel for work through friday - I'll text you as we get closer to the weekend and I know what time works.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I bought some @ Hermans last year for $19/bundle. 25 year CRC. I'll trade you roof time at your place for roof time at my place :)

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I bought some @ Hermans last year for $19/bundle. 25 year CRC. I'll trade you roof time at your place for roof time at my place :)
I bought a roof nailer and one of those purpose-built shingle removing shovels.

What's the pitch on your roof - mine's mostly 8/12 except for a 3/12 section over the garage. :D

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Last year was a bit different.. prices went up a bit thanks to our LOVELY premier and her carbon/tax everything plan.

Need to do my roof this year as well, in the next 6 weeks.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Sounds like a TDI club roofing party....

The slope on mine is almost walkable, but when not carrying supplies. Roof jacks required. I've got a roofing nail gun, jacks, and my trusty ol' pitch fork.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Adam, make sure your house insurance covers it if someone falls off.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Only me going up there - spent years in harnesses rock-climbing - won't go up there unless I am tied off.

I watched several of my neighbours houses getting re-roofed. I'm surprised that none of the workers have fallen off - none of them were tied in.