Best Dash Camera?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
It's been a long time since we covered dash cams here and I can only find threads around 2014. I'm looking to add one after seeing dweisel's head on wreck a week or so ago.

I saw that Garmin came out with two new models that incorporate collision avoidance warnings and lane departure warnings but they are not for sale yet. The pricier model ($199) also includes parking surveillance which I thought was a neat feature.

Anybody have recent experience with the latest dash cameras? :)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
BlackVue is arguably the best (and most expensive) dash cam on the market.

I have a Roadhawk HD in the Passat that's been working very well for several years.

BKmetz recently installed a BlackVue in his Passat. He has a thread going in the NMS Passat section if you want to check it out.

Waynoooo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I have this one in the wife's minivan. It was relatively cheap ($99), and has an integrated GPS module. I added a 128 GB XDSC card, so it holds approximately 300 hours of video before it starts overwriting. Quality is good and the low light capabilities are excellent. It does not offer parking monitoring, but what can you expect for under $100?

http://www.viofo.com/home/30-a119-1080p-60fps-dash-cam.html

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
I saw that Garmin came out with two new models that incorporate collision avoidance warnings and lane departure warnings but they are not for sale yet.
I got a Garmin DriveAssist 50LMT for Christmas. It has a front mounted camera that records when it's on. I've looked at the video and it's actually pretty good. I turned off the lane departure pretty quickly as it was annoying. As a GPS it works well, it has real time traffic and has red light cameras, school zones, speed limit changes, etc programmed in. If you are looking for a GPS with camera, I would recommend it.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I got a Garmin DriveAssist 50LMT for Christmas. It has a front mounted camera that records when it's on. I've looked at the video and it's actually pretty good. I turned off the lane departure pretty quickly as it was annoying. As a GPS it works well, it has real time traffic and has red light cameras, school zones, speed limit changes, etc programmed in. If you are looking for a GPS with camera, I would recommend it.

Thanks, where do you have it mounted? I like my old Garmin on the lower left side of the windshield. Does this have to be in the center?

Do you use the collision avoidance feature?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My new Joying head unit in my truck has dash and rear cam built in to it. In my old 2013 Passat I also used the Blackvue. Small and was easily hidden behind the mirror. Removable from the mount so it can go with you inside. I liked the fact you could connect to it BT (or WiFi, can't remember) to see the videos on your phone or other BT device.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
It's certainly not the best, but it is one of the most modestly priced: The G1W-C from GearBest is the extremely sweet spot for me. Good performance, good image quality, low price and high reliability. $35ish from GearBest via the big rock candy Mao-tain, pop in a 32 GB microSD card and it's been fantastic for several years now.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
It's certainly not the best, but it is one of the most modestly priced: The G1W-C from GearBest is the extremely sweet spot for me. Good performance, good image quality, low price and high reliability. $35ish from GearBest via the big rock candy Mao-tain, pop in a 32 GB microSD card and it's been fantastic for several years now.
Thanks, I see it is capacitor based rather than having an internal a battery. Looks like a lot of these dash cams are going that way due to heat issues with batteries. It has a lot of features for a $35 camera.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
Thanks, where do you have it mounted?
Just to the right of center (so it doesn't block the Climatronic sun sensor)
I like my old Garmin on the lower left side of the windshield. Does this have to be in the center?
I don't think so, the camera is movable.
Do you use the collision avoidance feature?
I think it's enabled. I do remember it going off when someone cut in front of me. I doubt it would save you from an accident.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Thanks, I see it is capacitor based rather than having an internal a battery. Looks like a lot of these dash cams are going that way due to heat issues with batteries. It has a lot of features for a $35 camera.
Image quality, even at night, is pretty darn good for the low entry fee. I'll see about uploading one later for you to take a gander.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I have a Viofo A118C which is great, except it emits RF interference all over the VHF spectrum.

This would be fine, except I have VHF ham radio gear in my car, and this thing just destroys my reception.

Definitely not FCC certified. I'm guessing a Garmin unit would have to be.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I had already chopped up a video with some video files and I nearly got run off the road by an R + L truck. Gonna have to add that footage before I upload.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Wow! Thanks for the video clips. This is verified proof that a dash cam is well worth the money!

And for the price of your camera, it is clearly a nice deal. I'll be ordering one for the wife's Santa Fe.

Thank you!

Tony

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
If just ordered 3 of these based on what happened to dweisel and scurvys recommendations. Btw nice video clip, you should of left the audio.......I know what I was saying ; ).

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
If just ordered 3 of these based on what happened to dweisel and scurvys recommendations. Btw nice video clip, you should of left the audio.......I know what I was saying ; ).
I was already saying very rude things about the beige/rust clapped out Ford Windstar that was in the left lane going 10 under the speed limit with no one in front of them when that R+L truck decided to do a three-lane merge from I-80 E onto I-57 N... nearly right into me.

I swear, if I didn't have a fine sense of self-preservation I would let half of these idiots plow into me.

There's a couple of newer, smaller, cheaper ($15!) dashcams out on GearBest & AliExpress. Considering picking one of these up to put in the back windshield.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
They call that move here the jersey slide.
Can you post a link for that other camera, I was considering this myself with one of the cameras too.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Ah yes, the Jersey slide! I had a city bus do that to me once, except he merged on from the right and decided that he needed to be in the left lane of three for no reason. His supervisor got a call about that one.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Can you post a link for that other camera, I was considering this myself with one of the cameras too.
Search GearBest for SQ8. Tiny little cube camera. Bought one yesterday via their app - $15 on the website, added it to my cart, opened cart in the app and paid. $12 shipped to my door! HOLY CRAP THAT'S CHEAP.

Even if it's not as good as the G1WC (720p instead of 1080p, slightly blurry, etc...) I can live with that. I should receive it in a hojillion weeks direct from Guangzhou Charlie, will pop it in the back window and do up another youtube video then... probably just in time to catch some Kankakee County po'bucker rear ending me.