TDIFest 2017 location discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I agree with smaller GTG's assisting in the TDI Fest happening.

Having a part in another yearly gathering which is fairly localized, it seems there is always a small group of people who organize much of the details and necessities.
It is also these smaller gatherings that facilitate the larger gathering that happens yearly going to different locations and being successful.

Always the difficulty is getting new people to lighten the load.
This is truly the benefit

The greatest difference in the gatherings I have experience is we are not looking for the same things that this gathering is.
Basically we go out to the woods and camp.
Therefore we need adequate water resources, camping availability and parking.

One thing I am more interested is a place with camping availability as I am not too interested in hotels.
At the same time I realize there are a lot of people who are not interested in camping.

I see a great compromise of having both available, however, specific timing creates high difficulty for both hotels and camping without adequate planning.

One thought I have is finding good music camping style venues with vacancies, yet again, timing makes this extremely difficult. If there is a venue with nothing going on on Labor Day weekend it is likely not going to be a good venue, at least not a profitable one.

One place does come to mind, I would have to look into the possibility and get back about possibilities.

As far as the interest goes and creating a greater base for creating a better TDI community is gathering different forum bases to collaborate.
This may be difficult, however, we can always put feelers out and see what is possible.

When I say other forums I am not thinking solely VW Audi TDI's, but also Dodge Cummins and what not.
One good forum I am also a member of, however, not presently participating due to lack of matching vehicle is https://mopar1973man.com/
This Mopar forum has an equally amazing base of members with knowledge of their vehicles.

Curious what others think.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
That's because if you don't live in Texas you generally don't want to be there!

Austin, I call an oasis of not Texas right in the middle of Texas!
Crazy thing is, It's the capitol!

Either way you go, it's a looooong drive through Texas.
Everything is bigger and there's even signs, al down the interstate, warning you about messing with Texas!
My problem is that I've misplaced my Texas Passport! Of course, I got it when I lived in Austin back in the late 70s so it is probably long expired.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V

Everything is bigger and there's even signs, al down the interstate, warning you about messing with Texas!
X 2 on this. Much of Texas is all just the same. Austin is nice, Dallas/Ft.Worth has more trees and green than much of the rest of the state.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I remember someone making a comment about Asheville, NC.
I just looked at possibilities and they are not promising.
The nearest town would be Hickory, NC.
They have the hotels at reasonable rates and amenities such as race tracks and conference center.
There is national forest within reasonable distance and a couple places I know personally to camp.

It is a nice part of the country, however, humid during the summer.
Thankfully not nearly as humid and hot as Atlanta, Ga!
Beautiful drives on the Blue Ridge Parkway and plenty of waterfalls around.

That being said I am curious if there are others whom are at least near Hickory who would be interested in researching and organizing.
One cannot do this alone as previously stated.
I am not opposed to being involved and making things happen.
In my experience it takes at least 3 very committed people, preferably 5-7, to set a location and make arrangements for minimum necessities.

http://www.hickorymotorspeedway.com/
http://www.tricountymotorspeedway.com/TCMS-Testing.htm

If nothing else the links above are good for research and future consideration.

ED

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ah, Hickory is about 100 miles from Asheville if you go by exit numbers; why do you say it is the "nearest" town?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Ah, Hickory is about 100 miles from Asheville if you go by exit numbers; why do you say it is the "nearest" town?
They have the hotels at reasonable rates and amenities such as race tracks and conference center.
There is national forest within reasonable distance and a couple places I know personally to camp.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I don't know if you folks posting in this thread realize it but their is virtually no chance of a TDI Fest happening this year......and quite possibly never again....and this is sad...But the Dieselgate affair is a big problem for this club.....and the decline has been going on even before Dieselgate happened.and this has been a huge part of my life only missing 2 Fests!

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I don't know if you folks posting in this thread realize it but their is virtually no chance of a TDI Fest happening this year......and quite possibly never again....and this is sad...But the Dieselgate affair is a big problem for this club.....and the decline has been going on even before Dieselgate happened.and this has been a huge part of my life only missing 2 Fests!
I have learned there is always a possibility however unlikely.
Submitting to defeat is the only true way to ensure there is no possibility!

We need to use this thread now to at least try and decipher a way to mobilize future possibility if nothing else!

Sometimes expected parameters need to change to make things happen!

How many really want to make one happen?
What are they willing to do to make it happen?

Scouts and research are necessary, however, what other parameters are?

It is possible to do something in a national forest within range of affordable accommodations.
Just depends on who is open to such a gathering.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You won't find me camping, ever, but I love Brevard. Good friend lives there, I've visited a number of times, and gone to GTGs at Appalachian Motor Works and at Dan Goldsten's when in the area. Brevard doesn't have a lot of hotels, IIRC, but it's in a pretty area and not too busy. Hendersonville or Asheville area may have more options.

Although I doubt we'll have a '17 Fest, I think 18 is a good possibility. There are enough long timers around that will still attend. I loved the '16 Fest, it was like an extended family reunion.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
You won't find me camping, ever, but I love Brevard. Good friend lives there, I've visited a number of times, and gone to GTGs at Appalachian Motor Works and at Dan Goldsten's when in the area. Brevard doesn't have a lot of hotels, IIRC, but it's in a pretty area and not too busy. Hendersonville or Asheville area may have more options.

Although I doubt we'll have a '17 Fest, I think 18 is a good possibility. There are enough long timers around that will still attend. I loved the '16 Fest, it was like an extended family reunion.
Agreed I have found and kept so many friends here over the years......
I may go to the Jeep Cherokee crowds Fest this year

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My wife and I have to go to a wedding in upstate NY the second weekend in June and I wanted to visit Boston. After looking at the options: fly and rent a car; rail and rent a car; rent an RV; we decided it would be cheaper to drive! So we will leave Oroville the first weekend in June, arrive for the wedding, then go to Stockbridge, Concord, and Boston. After Boston we'll probably go down to visit friends in Raleigh, NC then work our way back West to see a couple of nieces in Phoenix along with visiting a couple of USAF friends en route. Plan to be home by Jun 30th.

In August we're driving up to Oregon to watch the solar eclipse.

Oh, and there is a slight possibility we'll have to fly to Staten Island for a family reunion in July!

So, I most likely couldn't attend a TDIFest this year, anyway.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Hey, Ottomatic. Where in E TN are you? I'm a couple minutes from BNA (Nashville airport). I saw that a couple members are in TN down on the Cumberland Plateau. I'm still holding out hope a few of us can get something in this area together.

Jason

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I have learned there is always a possibility however unlikely.
Submitting to defeat is the only true way to ensure there is no possibility!

We need to use this thread now to at least try and decipher a way to mobilize future possibility if nothing else!

Sometimes expected parameters need to change to make things happen!

How many really want to make one happen?
What are they willing to do to make it happen?

Scouts and research are necessary, however, what other parameters are?

It is possible to do something in a national forest within range of affordable accommodations.
Just depends on who is open to such a gathering.
That's the spirit, Eddie! :cool:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I spent months researching venues around that area - all of them require at least a 15 months lead time in order to secure a reservation for something the size of TDIFest.

That said, now would be the time to start contacting venues for a 2018 Fest if you want to see it happen in the TN mountains.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I spent months researching venues around that area - all of them require at least a 15 months lead time in order to secure a reservation for something the size of TDIFest.

That said, now would be the time to start contacting venues for a 2018 Fest if you want to see it happen in the TN mountains.

I would have interest if it's in the smokeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1.8terrible

TDI
03 1.8t
I would love to attend one in north TX. I know it doesn't seem like a very popular option, but it wouldn't be too bad of a drive and pretty central for the most people to meet up.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf

Austin sucks. I try and avoid it whenever possible. Or, if going through Austin, I take the JSW, because being able to roll coal, along with my vanity plate, pisses people off there.

And for good reason, too. There's also lots of signs that say "Left lane for passing only," but for some reason, all the California transplants can't seem to comprehend what that means.

Aside from my dislike of Austin, ideal places would probably be DFW, Houston, or maybe San Antonio (closest to me, but I find it somewhat boring).

I would love to attend one in north TX. I know it doesn't seem like a very popular option, but it wouldn't be too bad of a drive and pretty central for the most people to meet up.
North TX is over 300 miles for me, but I drive that way anyways when I visit my TDI guru (alphaseinor), so I'm quite used to the drive. DFW, as aforementioned, would probably be the best bet, if TDIfest were ever held in TX, not to mention better proximity to neighboring states, as opposed to SA, Austin, or Houston.

X 2 on this. Much of Texas is all just the same. Austin is nice, Dallas/Ft.Worth has more trees and green than much of the rest of the state.
Uhh, no. Hill Country is gorgeous (where I live). The plains is kinda bland; West Texas sucks - looks the same as I-10 from Palm Springs, CA to Junction, TX. I HATE that drive. East Texas has some swamps and more waterways. Saying much of Texas is the same is like saying Germany and Japan look the same.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Don't forget about our vendors, who've also been hit equally hard. Dieselgate has really been hard on everyone across the board. Ironically for me, as a result of dieselgate, I purchased 3 more TDIs (4 in all).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We can always count on Tomo to bring a ray of sunshine and optimism to the conversation. But I think he'd agree that the 2016 Fest, held during the thick of Dieselgate, was one of the best ever. The Fest may change, but for many of us TDIs, TDIClub, and TDI Fest will be around for quite a while. I think every other year is a good idea.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
The Fest may change, but for many of us TDIs, TDIClub, and TDI Fest will be around for quite a while. I think every other year is a good idea.
I certainly hope so. These have truly been the best vehicles I've ever owned, not to mention that I've also enjoyed interaction with many other members on our forum, including those I've met in person (like Lawson). It's an awesome community of enthusiasts.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
We can always count on Tomo to bring a ray of sunshine and optimism to the conversation. But I think he'd agree that the 2016 Fest, held during the thick of Dieselgate, was one of the best ever. The Fest may change, but for many of us TDIs, TDIClub, and TDI Fest will be around for quite a while. I think every other year is a good idea.
Thanks Peter.....I actually have been trying really hard to be more positive....
But sadly I believe this is the Reality of the situation.....I still have my 2015 Jetta and it is a wonderful car.....

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, I see a sad road ahead for both the TDI club and TDIs. I peek in daily and the number on-line appears to be much lower than just a few years ago. I'm sure visitation stats will reveal the activity... maybe I am wrong!

All of my friends, including my brother, are dumping their TDIs, either through the buy-back or replacing older ones with something outside VW.

Today, I dropped off my heart monitor at the hospital lab. I was sporting my VW Baseball cap. Two ladies at the lab commented on my hat and VWs. One of them sold her TDI (2015 wagon) through the buy-back and bought a Chrysler product for replacement. The other lady owns a 2016 gasser. She is so disappointed in the VW dealer service....... $200.00 for an oil change that didn't include an oil filter.

And, my brother is dumping his '03 TDI Jetta for a Toyota, Nissan or KIA product..

Wow! If this sort of thing is happening across the land, it's hard to believe VW will come back as strong as it has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.