HowTo: RNS-510 Installation + Coding ('09 Jetta)

Marcel88

TDI
Passat 2.0 TDI
Hi...
I have a passat 3c with the rns510
All works well unless the synchronization of contacts quadrant red to radio...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

sabbotage

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
I just did this install today in my 2010 jetta sedan and everything is working great. I was curious about something though. Why is byte 01 of the nav unit coded with no sound system installed? Just didn't make sense to me and wondered what the reason for that was. Thanks.

Yamasaki

TDI
'12 Golf TDI
No sound system just means that you don not have the Fender or Dynaudio premium sound systems. Base models have 'no (high end) sound system'

Also anyone find the compass module in a 2014+ Jetta? I've torm the trunk apart and that damned thing is not there. I've teaced all the wires. A little help would be great.

mav2000

TDI
Jetta
Hi Guys,

My first few posts on this forum, I guess I need help from someone who knows how to manage radio installs better than I do.

To start with, I have recently installed an RCD 510 EU version as well as the 9W7 bluetooth in my 2014 Jetta. The car originally came with the RCD 320 (with ISO connectors). So I got onto aliexpress and ordered the ISO-Quadlock cable, Fakra cable for radio antenna and the full plug and play wiring harness for the 9w7.

I have it up and running with a few small issues. Let me first enumerate what is working:

1. System works, SD, radio etc etc. (CD error keeps popping up)
2. Phone connects to the system and I am able to download my phone book and make and receive calls and also have full control of the phone from the RCD 510 screen
3. Steering controls work. PTT does not though, works as a mute button
4. Climatronic system shows in the RCD display

Now where I am confused is:

1. MFI display does not show anything, no song names, no phone menu and no phone status. I have the highline full white display with the door open screen.
2. On connecting VCDS 77 Telephony does not show up at all. If I add it manually, it keeps scanning, but is not able to speak to that system. Nor does the Radio Module, there is no radio module at all in the VCDS scan.
3. OPS does not show up on the screen of RCD 510

Let me add here, that I tested a Delphi system first, and had the same issues, other than point 1, as thats moot with a 9w2 bluetooth.

My wiring seems to be right and I think I may be stuck because I need to do something on the VCDS. But I have no idea. I have done a full scan of the system and have three fault codes:

17-Instruments -- Status: Malfunction 0010

19-CAN Gateway -- Status: Malfunction 0010

77-Telephone -- Status: OK 0000

Address 77: Telephone

Cannot be reached

Address 17: Instruments (J285) Labels: 5K0-920-xxx-17.clb

Part No SW: 5C6 920 873 HW: 5C6 920 873

Component: KOMBI H04 0811

Serial number: 00000000000000

Coding: 171B00

Shop #: WSC 00047 000 00057

ASAM Dataset: EV_Kombi_UDS_VDD_RM09 A04721

ROD: EV_Kombi_UDS_VDD_RM09_VW32.rod

VCID: 6BDE14CD820F8479AA9-803E

1 Fault Found:

13654544 - Databus

U1121 00 [009] - Missing Message

Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 00000001

Fault Priority: 6

Fault Frequency: 3

Reset counter: 52

Mileage: 3006 km

Date: 2015.02.17

Time: 10:55:03

Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533) Labels: 7N0-907-530-V2.clb

Part No SW: 7N0 907 530 AK HW: 7N0 907 530 AK

Component: J533 Gateway H57 1642

Revision: H57 Serial number: 200414F1003429

Coding: 351003

Shop #: WSC 00047 123 12345

VCID: 79F23E85F05326E9285-802C

1 Fault Found:

01305 - Databus for Infotainment

004 - No Signal/Communication

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 01100100

Fault Priority: 1

Fault Frequency: 1

Reset counter: 52

Mileage: 3006 km

Time Indication: 0

Date: 2015.02.17

Time: 11:03:29

I have a feeling, I need to change something else in VCDS before telephony and radio starts showing up by itself. If the wiring was wrong, then even the steering controls and climatronic should not work. One of my friends did the same upgrade and was able to get everything working right away. But his car was a highline version with the RCD 510 to start with. He just added the 9w7 BT. Needed no VCDS at all.

I would really appreciate some help from you guys on this issue. Its just been irritating me for the last few days and anything I try just does not work. I removed the fuse and reinstalled after about 5 mins and that didnt help either. Do I need to remove the 15A fuse and do something else as well?

I have gone through the wiring a number of times, but can find no fault anywhere. I have ordered an additional ISO to Quadlock cable just to be sure and that should be here in a few days.

mrgt

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hey a couple of questions that I am hoping you can help out with. I am probably getting the RCD-510 . Most people are doing this for an 09 but my car it he 06 highline with steering wheel controls. I live in Canada an most of the
cars come with this radio (I believe it s called vw127u) or 1K0035180

http://www.car-truck-parts.com/car-...assat-AM-FM-Satellite-Radio_161434289053.html

This is the unit on mine but has BT as well as satellite. Will this stereo work? If not are there any upgrades that would work with my car? any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

ewdelk08

TDI
2009 VW Jetta 2.0L TDI DSG
Steering Wheel Controls with upgraded RNS-510

Will the steering wheel controls still work? Can you get one with a back up camera? I have a 2009 jetta TDI. I really want to keep my Jetta but seriously considering trading for a new one just for the in dash touch screen radio with back up camera.

av8r

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (#23rd in prod), Black. 2014 Audi Q5 TDI, Black
Install complete!

[FONT=&quot]Finished up my install today on a 2010 Jetta TDI. Man, what an upgrade and what a DIFFERENCE! Details follow:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bluetooth[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: I had the OE 9w3 module (1Z0035729C) under the passenger seat. Before my RCD510 bit the dust I could pair my phone with the radio and see the address book on the White Multifunction Display and make calls with the steering wheel controls--not great, but certainly useable and acceptable. Here is a good discussion on Bluetooth and compatibility: Bluetooth FAQs . With the RNS510 I wanted more (don't we ALL) so this was going to have to be upgraded to a 9w7 module.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Antennas[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: I have the Shark fin on the roof OE. It contains the Sirius SAT antenna so I think I’ll keep it for now. I also have the AM/FM rear window antenna (two white antenna leads behind the radio). [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I had the compass input for the MFI which I need to remove (module mounted in the trunk aft of the rear deck—look for small nut) otherwise I’ll be getting 2 navigation signals (one from module, one from head new RNS510 unit).[/FONT] VCDS software is required to modify the Navigation position sensing option to remove the compass input. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Radio research[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have to tell you the Chinese ones looked very tempting but there are issues to almost every one from owner reviews (again, you get what you pay for I guess) around the VW websites, but they do the job and look good. I couldn’t find any videos on how fast and how functional the navigation looked but I’m sure it was fine.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The RNS315s are Nav capable and are an easy for/fit replacement/interchangeable. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]RNS 315 FAQ courtesy myturbodiesel.com[/FONT][FONT=&quot] They are relatively easy to find on-line and you can even find them less than $500.00 if you look. A few of the RNS315 drawbacks for me was going to a smaller screen, 5 inches vs. the current RCD510 6.5 inch screen, no HD radio, not DVD capable and no Bluetooth dialing/phone book capability (on the radio display (with the current 9w3 Bluetooth Module) or internal hard drive for music and map data. The biggest detractor, and highly important to us desert dwellers, was the RNS315s are not equipped with an internal fan for cooling which for me was a game changer! There are plenty of reviews on the radio issues in the heat or during long drives having to be shut down to cool down. I did like the price, but for just a little more I could get allot more. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The RNS510 really became my focus after critically evaluating the RNS315, the double-din Nav Kenwood’s, Pioneer models and a few others. I have a Kenwood DX in my F350 and its fine but I didn’t want another one. The deciding factors for me were the form fit and function, non-modified wiring harness (if you desire not to upgrade your Bluetooth) and the ability to seamlessly tie into my Mk6 Multifunction Steering Wheel (MFSW) controls. Further, I can utilize my MFD (Multi Function Display) white highline instrument display cluster maximizing the functionality of my 9w3 Bluetooth module[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]MFD and MFI FAQs courtesy myturbodiesel[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. The RNS510 will now display the phone book over the GPS display and I can dial from the touchscreen—nice! I can also stream from my smart phone but, only to the right speakers (you need the Bluetooth 9w7 and some additional wiring to take full advantage of streaming in the RNS510). Pen ultimately, I can also use an SD card for music and lastly, expandability with the ability to seamlessly add a backup camera in the future [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Back up camera installation RNS 510[/FONT][FONT=&quot] with parallel assist. Oh, and it has an internal fan and large heat sink![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]After tons of research and waiting for the right part number to be "For Sale" I pulled the trigger on a RNS510 P/N 3C0035684E (Production 06/2011), which was a newer RNS510 OE in 2013, and later vehicles.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/rns-510-vw-radio-navigation-system-faq-and-comparison/[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

New, these things run $1,800.00 or more. The used market price varies and with time and patience I found the best deal yet at LKQonline (I’m not associated with them in any fashion - just a consumer) for $750.00 sight unseen (that’s a big drawback when buying used but my results/purchase were outstanding. Anyway, this particular radio was salvaged from 2013 VW Mk VI Golf. It's a form, fit, and function replacement for my long dead RCD510 in the Jetta. Be advised and be careful, as the 2015 radios are different – in the Golf Mk7s. Another major risk is the ability to obtain the radio code from VW but with a purchase receipt I felt I’d take the risk. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I also purchased a new 9w7 module 7P6035730M ($255.00) on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-9W7...ash=item3f49466d17:g:-v0AAOSweW5VDCCY&vxp=mtr Watch the prices on any of these as they do fluctuate. Mine actually came from Europe and was original VW OEM equipment. It included a new wiring harness and “bridge” (hook one end of the new harness to the radio and the other to the old harness that went to the old RCD510) to stream to all speakers seamlessly on the RNS510 and utilize my press to talk (PTT) function on the steering wheel. The harness also came with a flat AM/FM antenna should you need it (I didn’t) and a new microphone with new wiring. Here is an assembly diagram/install of what I got: http://www.vag-navisystems.com/docs/productos/354/Installation_Manual_bluetooth_VW_9W7_ENGLISH.pdf [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I also purchased a GPS antenna for less than $20.00 from Amazon (Active GPS Antenna Fakra VW Audi MFD2 RNS2 MFD3 RNS510 Sat Nav) which I mounted in the small area right below the diffuser since the old RCD510 did not have a GPS. The Fakra fits the GPS antenna socket on the RNS510. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Install:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]First, remove the old RCD 510 - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Radio Removal Mk5[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and the Mk6. Bottom line-just go slow and the parts just pop apart easily. I didn’t use the VCDS before removing my RCD510 “brick.” Just read the article.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here’s a good preview of the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]RNS510 Installation in a Mk5[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and another one for a 2009 Jetta but no pics [/FONT][FONT=&quot]RNS-510 Installation + Coding[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (this article). [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Obtaining the radio code from VW: I PM’d a frequent seller of radios [/FONT][FONT=&quot]BarryT82[/FONT][FONT=&quot] on TDICLUB to ascertain the Alpha Papa (axx pain) in obtaining the radio code from VW with the S/N and VIN # from the vehicle it came from. BarryT82 bounced a few suggestions and comments on cost, installation and firmware/software/map updates for this particular radio. Thanks!! I took my receipt and radio documentation to a local VW Service Center which I typically don't frequent (they looked it over surprisingly) and they got on their computer and pulled up the security code – easy peasy. Kudos to Findly Honda.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Installation:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Disconnect the compass in the trunk. Make sure to update its removal in VCDS. There is plenty of How to's on this.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Firmware/software/map update: I will update the maps and firmware later. Checking them showed they are just one update behind – excellent not a crisis![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]VCDS coding: I followed all the suggested VCDS coding and all came up as advertised. One change I made took off the Signature splash Home page from the Golf but I can always go back if I want. I won’t add VCDS coding here as I found plenty of “how to’s" out there.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I upgraded to the 9w7 Bluetooth module, P/N 7p6 035 730 M, to utilize the microphone voice control “push to talk” button on the steering wheel, streaming and the voice support on the RNS510. I had to run the new harness from under the passenger seat along the lower door frame and up the pillar and across the dash but not to bad. Just be carefull pulling all the plastic trip pieces up and do it in order. A2DP streaming in stereo to the left and right speakers with the new BT module works/sounds good. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]9w7 Module Install and FAQs[/FONT][FONT=&quot] If you order a new 9w7 BT and the harness here is a good install pdf to review: http://www.mfd3.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/VW-Bluetooth-9W7-installation-Instructions.pdf I ran a new microphone wire bundle to the radio since it was included and it only took a few minutes to install (I ran it under the headliner down the passenger pillar to the dash). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J266woOCeU4 Plus, with the harness bridge I didn’t want to modify the pins since the harness is plug and play. It will connect both the steering wheel and the RNS510 head unit voice command functions seemlessly. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So far I really like the upgrade. I like the direction arrows on the MFI when navigating to a destination and I enjoy the BT A2DP all around. Getting used to making voice commands (if you want to change the RNS510 functions without your hands takes a little getting used to). With the 9w7 it will even put your phone song info on the screen (A2DP) and its compatible with the new phones. Bottom line here is do your shopping and you can come close to a full upgrade around a grand not including your time to do the install. VCDS is a must to make the necessary coding changes. I should have done this a long time ago!![/FONT]

nasTTcar

TDI
Jetta TDI - 2006
3 VW techs cannot find compass module in my 2012 JSW with pano roof. Any other spots it could be located?

riahc3

Could you add some part numbers? (both NA and EU)

I'm looking for on eBay and other sites to get a RNS 510 for a Jetta 2009 and I want to make sure I get a correct and working one...

hamilgs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta & 2014 JSW 6MT
I have a '14 JSW 6MT TDI, with RCD-510 radio w/six disk changer, factory back up camera, BT, MFSW & MDI. I'm thinking about swapping the radio for the RNS-510. I've seen a "C" hardware rev for sale, and wondering what I'll give up if I get a "C" rev vs a newer revision. Any thoughts for me?