Replacement Key

Kato

Veteran Member
After five years both of my remote keys are broken ... that is the silver metal loop that holds the key to a keychain has broken off. The remotes still work.

Went to the dealer and I can only buy a new key ($120) + reprogramming. All that I need is the lower plastic part of the key with the metal loop. Does anyone know where I could obtain just this piece? Or do I have to buy a whole new setup?

Thanks in advance,
Kato

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
If you just need the remote entry half of the key fob, buy some used ones on ebay. All the ones I bought on ebay had working remote halves and dead Immob/Key halves.

You should be able to get 2-3 for ~$45. The programming for the remote half consists of putting a good key in the ignition and turning to "ON" position, putting new remote and key in door, turning to the "Lock" position and pushing either the Lock or Unlock button. I now have 3 happy working key fobs.

When it comes to the Immob half it is a whole other story. But you may get lucky with your year. If the dealer gave you a card with your SKC, you can do the Immob programming yourself with VAG-COM. I am not sure the dates they stopped giving those cards at purchase.