Buy a diesel Dodge or Jeep, get all your diesel for $2.99/gal

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Has anybody checked out the "Let's Fuel America" program that Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep is offering? Apparently, if you buy a 2008 car or truck from them, you will get a card that lets you get your fuel for $2.99/gal for 3 years. They claim that 97% of gas stations participate in the program. You use their card, but it is charged to the credit card of your choice. The program covers gasoline, E85, or diesel fuel... based on the engine in the car/truck you buy. So, to get $2.99 diesel fuel, the car or truck you buy must have a diesel engine. The fuel does not have to be used in that particular vehicle... so you can fuel up your TDI!

http://www.chrysler.com/en/refuel/index.html?bid=1758115&adid=202631605&pid=12206054

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Unfortunately it comes with Cerebus or ex-Daimler Chrysler product.
That's what I'd say when offered a Jeep:
'S there a bus I could take instead?

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I saw an ad for a local dealer today-each vehicle has a certain allotment of gallons guaranteed@ $2.99-Grand Cherokee has 2250 gallons,an Avenger has 1714 gallons-this is from my local dealers ad,your area may be different.I'd rather see them guarantee for life of loan.

Brian.Burress

Veteran Member
Copperas Cove, TX most of the Time, Lebanon, IN us
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, TipTronic GONE...
Lightflyer1 said:
You forgot that it is based on 12k miles a year. A pretty limiting factor.
12k miles in a Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins would be how many gallons? And how many miles could you go on that many gallons in a TDI?

I serioulsly doubt anyone would do it for the fuel, but if you were using the card to fuel your TDI, you would still be able to fuel up the Dodge if you didn't drive it very often.

-Brian

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
No way I would buy a Dodge to save a $1 a gallon. Thats not that much money, about $600 if you have a Cummins. The headache of owning a Dodge is great than that.

Greg

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Lug_Nut said:
Unfortunately it comes with Cerebus or ex-Daimler Chrysler product.
That's what I'd say when offered a Jeep:
'S there a bus I could take instead?
Come to Clemson. The answer is yes. :D

iaflyer

TDI
Jetta, 2000, Silver Arrow
Also, if you take this fixed-price fuel program, you give up applicable rebates for the vehicle. For most vehicles, if gas remains around the same price, you are actually losing money if you take the gas program over the rebates. The WSJ had an article about this in the last week.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Brian.Burress said:
12k miles in a Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins would be how many gallons? And how many miles could you go on that many gallons in a TDI?
15 mpg * 12k miles/year * 3 years = 2400 gallons.

Since diesel just spiked to around $4.50 in SoCal, that's a savings of $3600 over three years. I don't know, it might make a difference to some truck buyers -- they might choose to buy now instead of waiting.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Exactly... the people who will benefit the most from this are those who were on the fence about getting a cummins. Diesel aint getting any cheaper.

Chuckdaddy

TDI
03 Golf TDI GL 2dr Indigo Blue auto
$2.99 Fuel

This info from the Dodge Lets Refuel America Website.

This program is an alternative to traditional incentive programs. Consumers who select this offer will not be eligible for the traditional consumer/lease cash, subvented APR rates, or Compass/Patriot retail cash.

Note:
All SRT models, Sprinter, Viper, Crossfire, Wrangler, Wrangler Unlimited, Ram Chassis Cab, and Challenger models are ineligible to participate in this program.

The $2.99 in fuel would be far less than the savings from the Rebate or savings in loan interest.

Just another case of the general public's ignorance of math and love for short term gratification.

Cash Allowance and Standard APR over 36/48/60/72 months are as follows:
Ram 1500 Mega Cab$5500 or 0.0 / 1.9 / 2.9 / 4.9
Ram 1500 Quad Cab$5500 or 0.0 / 1.9 / 2.9 / 4.9
Ram 1500 Regular Cab$5500 or 0.0 / 1.9 / 2.9 / 4.9
Ram 2500/3500 Mega Cab$4500 or 0.0 / 1.9 / 2.9 / 4.9
Ram 2500/3500 Quad Cab $4500 or 0.0 / 1.9 / 2.9 / 4.9
Ram 2500/3500 Regular Cab $4500 or 0.0 / 1.9 / 2.9 / 4.9

These are only the highest rebates, oll others are far less.

Fahrfuwerfuelen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 (A4), Platinum Gray
Anyone read the fine print?

1. If the annual fuel gallon allotment is used, the card will not authorize any purchases until the next scheduled annual allotment time period is reached.
  2. If the annual and /or program gallon allotment is not used during the appropriate time period, any unused gallons will expire and not roll-over to the next year.
Annual fuel allotment for the Jeep Cherokee (the only diesel vehicle I know of in the lineup) is 750/gal/yr.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I hate these sales approaches and the fine print. Gimmicks all, just to sell the vehicles and make you think you got something. Just reduce the price of the car and sell it to me. No filing for a rebate, no special cards, no fine print. It's like financing a $1/gallon worth of gas over the next three years. You don't think they are really giving it to you do you? It's just included in the final price they will sell you the car for.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
It all depends on 1) whether you are already in the market for a Dodge car or truck, and 2) whether you think fuel prices will go much higher.

I suppose it also depends on whether you drive at least 12k miles a year.

TDI
2002 VW Jetta wagon
There's lots of torque in that new cummins but I hear fuel mileage is around 10 or 11 MPG. I have a 2004 Ram 3500 with the 5.9 24v common rail and average 18 MPG 16/city 21/highway. If I'm not mistaken the new cummins is a 6.7L or 6.9L. I'll stick with my Jetta TDI, my thinking is the $2.99 for diesel doesn't even come close to the interest you'll pay to Chrysler Financial for the loan. Chrysler ends up #1 in the end unless you can pay cash. That's my 2 cents.

Last edited:

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
michael l miller said:
There's lots of torque in that new cummins but I hear fuel mileage is around 10 or 11 MPG. I have a 2004 Ram 3500 with the 5.9 24v common rail and average 18 MPG 16/city 21/highway. If I'm not mistaken the new cummins is a 6.7L or 6.9L. I'll stick with my Jetta TDI, my thinking is the $2.99 for diesel doesn't even come close to the interest you'll pay to Chrysler Financial for the loan. Chrysler ends up #1 in the end unless you can pay cash. That's my 2 cents.
I've heard the exact same thing... If dodge still offered the 5.9 in their superdutys I would possibly consider one.

bakdoor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta, 2006 Jetta (gone), 1999 Jetta-blue (gone,) 1999 Jetta-green (gone)
Man, lots of hate on here for Dodge and Jeep vehicles...them's fightin' words!
First off, love my '94 Wrangler, have taken it all over the country, gone off road aplenty, and made a ton of friends that I never would have made if I hadn't bought a Jeep vehicle. It's the kind of vehicle that once you own one, you'll always own one. People start trashing Jeeps, I get growly.:mad:
Second, I'll also second the Cummins mileage: '01 2500 CTD with the 24V package, and it gets 18 MPG avg and 22 highway. Not bad for a vehicle that easily pulls either the Jeep or the Jetta on a trailer and that I can pull your house over with if it's properly attached.:rolleyes:
Third: make no mistake, I also love my TDI and wouldn't be caught dead without it for my daily grind. But let's not hate on other purpose-specific vehicles--all the rigs in my fleet serve a purpose. Would I want to drive my Ram everyday? No. Would I take my TDI offroad for fun? No. To each vehicle, according to it's purpose, people...
And yes, the DC fuel thing seems bogus to me. I didn't know that you gave up the rebates for the fuel program, now it really seems bogus to me. But I'm not in the market for a new vehicle right now (luckily.)

TDI
2002 VW Jetta wagon
velociT said:
I've heard the exact same thing... If dodge still offered the 5.9 in their superdutys I would possibly consider one.
I love my 5.9 and unfortunately they no longer offer it. The Cummins until the new motor came out was always great on mpg and now probably the worst. Hands down, in my opinion, cummins is the best diesel offered in an American full size truck. I also have two powerstrokes which are my work trucks and I like those motors also both are the 7.3l. Ford took a dive replacing the 7.3 with the 6.0 and that motor to me sux. I had a 2005 F-550 with the 6.0 at 5mpg and that really sux.:(

Does anyone know who makes the jeep diesels?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
michael l miller said:
Does anyone know who makes the jeep diesels?
Good question. The Liberty had a VM Motori engine. I think the Cherokee has the same Mercedes diesel as the E320/M320/G320 CDI's.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Yeah, the new Jeep diesel is a Mercedes V6 CDI.

By the way, I didn't post this because I thought it was a particularly good idea, I just wanted to start a discussion. Personally, I don't think it's a good idea for gasoline or diesel to be cheaper. I am hurting as much or more than the average American, but I see expensive energy as the only way we'll learn to conserve.

weirdajs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle TDI
My dad owns a 2007 dodge mega cab cumins diesel.He lesse it for 3yrs.Had goose neck ball installed.Then he hit the side of is cab with the 3car trailer:(:mad: Also he has a edge programmer installed and K&N fliter.Still gets 11-13 pulling the 3car trailer at 75-80.In town driving normal speeds he got 22mpgs.Dad has also taking it back to the dealer for tranny issue many times.They put two new trannies a rear end and he is not happy.Monthly payment is about $700.00 lesse payment.The reason he owns one because he runs a used carlot and needs one to pull his 3car trailer.So i say go to your bank instead of lesse if you get one.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Man,Daimler-Chrysler is really screwing w/ our minds-earlier tonight they had commercial saying the $2.99 thing for GAS OR DIESEL-then later on they had different commercial and fine print on bottom of screen said $2.99 is for 87 octane RUG only-guess people if they go w/DC junk really better read the fine print.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tdidieselbobny said:
Man,Daimler-Chrysler is really screwing w/ our minds-earlier tonight they had commercial saying the $2.99 thing for GAS OR DIESEL-then later on they had different commercial and fine print on bottom of screen said $2.99 is for 87 octane RUG only-guess people if they go w/DC junk really better read the fine print.
It's not Daimler anymore.

If you read the fine print, there is an adjustment if the engine requires 89 or 91 octane.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah,I forgot they dumped the Daimler name-went to the website-if you buy diesel-you can only buy diesel on the Visa or Mastercard-if you fill up something w/gas,you pay the full price @ pump,decreases your yearly allotment,and will have a $2 service charge-same goes if you have gas vehicle and fill up something w/ diesel.It would be worth something if they said .99 or 1.99 a gallon-It's about as good as a"sales tax holiday"on fuel...

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tdidieselbobny said:
Yeah,I forgot they dumped the Daimler name-went to the website-if you buy diesel-you can only buy diesel on the Visa or Mastercard-if you fill up something w/gas,you pay the full price @ pump,decreases your yearly allotment,and will have a $2 service charge-same goes if you have gas vehicle and fill up something w/ diesel.It would be worth something if they said .99 or 1.99 a gallon-It's about as good as a"sales tax holiday"on fuel...
All you have to do is use a different card when you fill up with a different fuel. Just use one credit card when filling the new Dodge, Chrysler, or Jeep, and a different card for all other gas or diesel purchases. It's not that complicated.

They give you a choice: take the rebate or take the reduced-price fuel. You get to decide, you get to predict which is the better deal based on whether you think fuel prices will keep going up.

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
tdidieselbobny said:
Yeah,I forgot they dumped the Daimler name.
Techically, Daimler dumped them, so they can't use the name any more.

Anyway, it baffles me that someone would consider buying a gas-guzzler for the promise of cheap(er) fuel for a short time. What then? Does anyone actually expect that gas will go back to 2$/gal in the future?? The thing could be totally worthless in 3 years if gas prices reach the projected 5-6$ and stay there!